Skip to main content

Topic: Working Safely around your Foretravel (Read 8140 times) previous topic - next topic

Working Safely around your Foretravel

Remember!
       Safety block your air springs BEFORE you go under it , for any reason.

Good point, and a good reminder.  Anyone want to take on writing a "Working Safely on your Foretravel"...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:35:20 am by Steve & Michelle

Re: Working Safely around your Foretravel
Reply #1
I was thinking "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".  So I googled it and came up with this site which will help you waste some time.  http://secondsightresearch.tripod.com/cattales/id22.html  And then you can click on Home and waste a...

• Kent Speers
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
I'm not sure I understand. When the park brake is activated, aren't all four wheels brakes activated on our Foretravels?

Reply #3

I'm not sure I understand. When the park brake is activated, aren't all four wheels brakes activated on our Foretravels?

Look at the air chamber attached to a wheel brake,  If there is...

• Kent Speers
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Great info. Mine is a dual system and its a 93. I will check on how many hoses to the front brake.

Thanks!
  • Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:08:45 pm by Barry Beam

Reply #5
The issue with the parking brake was with an SOB that was gas powered.  Not all hydraulic brake vehicles have the parking brake on the rear axle.  My 1957 Fiat Spyder had the brake on the driveshaft also.  How did I know?  Drove off with it on...

Reply #6
RV Electrical Safety
RV Safety | No~Shock~Zone
We've been trying to locate a survey on just how many RV owners have been shocked by their recreational vehicles, but search as we might, nobody seems to have done a study. So last July we asked RV...

• Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:28:21 am by Steve

• Gary Bouland
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Barry, I have been following the NO SHOCK ZONE info.  It is thourough and well written.  I agree that every one that has a MH needs to read and understand what electricity is all about, you don't have to be an expert, just cautious around things...

Reply #8
Since we're all climbing underneath now to check our bulkhead bolts, what is the proper place to put the jacks, and what happens with the level system that it will suddenly let the coach lower.  Is it a matter of just running low on air?

Reply #9
Hi Gayland,
   Our coach seems to hold the air, in the air bags, forever. It can read zero air pressure for a few weeks, and never let the bags down. Whenever I go under the coach, I raise the bags to the max, then I put my oak blocks between the...

Reply #10
what is the proper place to put the jacks,

I use some 11" square tube steel and lower the coach on them as Raymond mentioned.

Reply #11
Barry, the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is so true for me. Thanks for the picture on the air bag blocks.

Reply #12
X 2 what Jim said, but another question, do you do them in pairs (one per side) or is one sufficient?

Reply #13
X 2 what Jim said, but another question, do you do them in pairs (one per side) or is one sufficient?

You should use 4,  1 per side front and back.

Reply #14
Hi Gayland,
  If you go to page 16 in the photo/files section, there are a few pictures of the safety bars we are talking about. These are adjustable. I should add that Bill Willett, longtime member here, made these. And thanks for adding the...

• Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:24:56 pm by Raymond Jordan

Reply #15
The pictures show a safety jack near an airbag.
Would it not be better if the safety jack in each corner of the coach were put on the frame to the inside of the tire, centered (front to back) between the airbags. This would more evenly distribute...

Reply #16
Hi Wyatt,
   I think they safety jacks were being used two per wheel, one at each air bag. Two would be the better way to do it.

Reply #17
Here's another one that's maybe obvious, but I'm always aware of the exciting things that can happen if I'm wearing a ring or a watch while working around the batteries or the 12v distribution panels.   Lots of current is available there to...

Reply #18
Dave

Here's another one that's maybe obvious, but I'm always aware of the exciting things that can happen if I'm wearing a ring or a watch while working around the batteries or the 12v...

Reply #19
Tried out using the spacers to hold up the coach in case of air loss and something came to mind.  Be careful when putting the spacers in that you aren't laying over the tire.  Reach around the tire.

Reply #20
This is a question for Barry. Those tubular steel spacers that you use looks just like what I need. Nice and simple. Can you tell me what size they are, and what thickness of steel tube. They look to be about 1 1/2" steel and I am guessing 1/8...

Reply #21
This is a question for Barry. Those tubular steel spacers that you use looks just like what I need.
Can you tell me what size they are, and what thickness of steel tube. They look to be about 1 1/2" steel and I am guessing 1/8 thick wall.

They...

Reply #22
Thanks Barry. I am getting some of these cut right away.

Reply #23
How about this for a safety block....4" x 6" x 10" wood block.  Bought an 8' length at Home Depot and had them cut it into 10" pieces. 
They seem to work fine.  I used two on each side of the front and one on each side of the back.  Lowered the...

• Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:50:12 am by wolfe10

Reply #24
How about this for a safety block....4" x 6" x 10" wood block.

Looks like they should be strong enough. I would turn them 90 degrees so more of it is being used.
They will take more storage room in the bay.

• Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:28:26 am by Barry Beam