Skip to main content
Topic: Desiccant option for the HWH system (Read 1873 times) previous topic - next topic

Desiccant option for the HWH system

After paying almost $50 for a 4 ounce bag of indicating desiccant, Steve did some research and came across

Bulk Sorbents - SorbentSystems.com

Mylar® and Foil Ziplock bags - SorbentSystems.com

We bought the 5 pound can of blue indicating silica gel 2-4 mm for $25.75 and 100 of the open top mylar foil zip top 5.5" x 5.25" (055MFD0525OZE) bags for $50 (which unfortunately are not currently available on-line in quantities less than 1000.)

Weighed out portions of the desiccant, manually forced the air out of the mylar bags before zipping shut, and used our home Foodsaver to heat-seal the zip-tab end (sealing only, not vacuum-packing; it seemed to work OK).  Now we have 20 pre-packaged, moisture-sealed portions of desiccant and 80 bags leftover for future use.  Factoring in shipping, cost per portion was around $2.50 instead of near $50. 

The selected media item is not currently available.

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Re: Desiccant option for the HWH system

Reply #1
Michelle,

Sounds like the beginnings of a Cottage Industry!

Brett
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
I'd like to order 5 bags at your convenience!
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #3
After paying almost $50 for a 4 ounce bag of indicating desiccant, Steve did some research and came across

Bulk Sorbents - SorbentSystems.com

Mylar® and Foil Ziplock bags - SorbentSystems.com

We bought the 5 pound can of blue indicating silica gel 2-4 mm for $25.75 and 100 of the open top mylar foil zip top "O" bags for $50 (which unfortunately are not currently available on-line in quantities less than 1000.)

Weighed out portions of the desiccant, manually forced the air out of the mylar bags before zipping shut, and used our home Foodsaver to heat-seal the zip-tab end (sealing only, not vacuum-packing; it seemed to work OK).  Now we have 20 pre-packaged, moisture-sealed portions of desiccant and 80 bags leftover for future use.  Factoring in shipping, cost per portion was around $2.50 instead of near $50. 

Michelle

Michelle, after seeing that the retail price desiccant is $50 and that there are others interested in purchasing some desiccant bags from you, I thought I should let you know you dropped a decimal when quoting the cost. You did mean $25.00 not $2.50. My customary commission rate is 20%.
The selected media item is not currently available.Kent Speers
Locust Grove, OK
1993 U300 SSE 40' (Restored at FOT 2009) Build 4323
720 watts Solar
6V92TA DDEC Silver Engine
2014 Subaru Outback

Reply #4

Michelle, after seeing that the retail price desiccant is $50 and that there are others interested in purchasing some desiccant bags from you, I thought I should let you know you dropped a decimal when quoting the cost. You did mean $25.00 not $2.50. My customary commission rate is 20%.

Thanks, Kent.  Actually, we haven't decided if we're going into the "ForeForums-brand Aux Compressor Desiccant packet" business just yet  :))  There's a limited market now that the new Nimbus and Phenix coaches don't appear to use it for their systems.  I'd hate to ramp up production, hire all those employees, and then have demand crater.

We would, however, trade George Hatfield two bags for a couple of green chile cheeseburgers if we're ever in New Mexico at the same time  ;)

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Reply #5
Michelle,

Those green chili cheeseburgers are worth WAY more than that. 
We are only strangers until we meet; however, some of us are stranger than others

Reply #6
Try:  https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page4b.cfm
Not sure what the mesh size needed is, but there appears quite a range of indicating desiccant in the 1 pound size from $10.51 to $10.94.
The selected media item is not currently available.Brad & Christine Slaughter
Was:  1990 U280 36'
Was:  2002 U270 36' (With a bathroom door) Build #5981
Is:  2021 Leisure Travel Van Wonder 24RL
2015 Jeep JKU, 2003 S10 QC 4x4 or 2017 C-Max
Lake Havasu City, AZ (or Gillette, WY)

Reply #7
Another useful page, instructions on how to regenerate your desiccant.
https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page19b.cfm

Reply #8
Concerning the above link, Drierite is not silcia gel, but is a desiccant made from anhydrous Calcium Sulfate.  The regeneration process is similar, but special care must be taken with silica gel so the internal structure of the crystals is not damaged.  That structure is what gives it such a large surface area to combine with water molecules.  Here are some good directions I found on the web.

"Regeneration of Silica Gel is done by heating the crystals in an oven at a temperature of not more than 300° F (149° C) for approximately three hours or until the crystals turn blue or transparent white. Dehydrating the desiccant may also be accomplished by heating in a microwave oven. Using a 900 watt oven heat the crystals for three minute intervals until the color change occurs. The exact amount of time necessary will depend upon the oven wattage. Spreading the desiccant in a broad pan in a shallow layer will speed the process. Heating to 325° F (149° C) or more, or using a microwave oven over 900 watts can damage the gel and render it unable to adsorb moisture."

I used the Sharp microwave in our coach (850 watts) and it started turning blue in about 1 minute and the drying was complete (at least as indicated by the blue color) in three minutes.  The blue color is from a small amount of cobalt chloride which is added to the silica gel as an indicator.  Anhydrous cobalt chloride is blue. When it bonds with two water molecules, (CoCl2•2H2O), it turns purple. Further hydration results in the pink hexaaquacobalt(II) chloride complex [Co(H2O)6]Cl2.

Here is a good link on all of this....  :: Abbas Products ::
George Hatfield

Reply #9
                   I looked into going the same route as Steve and Michelle but when I placed the order with Sorbent they were out of the blue desiccant. They told me they could provide orange which turns to green.
    After some research I found out that the orange is much less toxic than the blue as it is not infused with Blue Colbolt Cloride. It appears to be a "greener" alternative.
          All the other properties are similer so I ordered it. I just have to make a new label for the desiccant canister so there is no future confusion on color changes.

Dean
Dean & Deirdre

2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
Was 2003 U270

Reply #10
Ok, I am feeling stupid I have no idea what you all are talking about! ????
1999 U320
Mount Dora Fl

Reply #11
On my coach the air pump for the slide has a bowl of silica gel desiccant that dries the air entering the pump.  If you don't have a slide, you probably don't have this setup.  It is my understanding that some of the older slide coaches (e.g., 1999 and 2000) don't have this either.  Below is a photo of a similar system.  Note the water in the 1st and 3rd traps?  Also, the desiccant needs to be replaced.
George Hatfield

Reply #12
                               Just for giggles I thought I would try regenterating the old desiccant while waiting for the new stuff to arrive. After killing the 12 vdc power I removed the canister and dumped the desiccant on a paper plate. Then put it in the coach micro for about 4-1/2 minutes total. Surprisingly about 75% of it turned blue.
                      D&D
Dean & Deirdre

2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
Was 2003 U270

Reply #13
Has anyone check the msds for this stuff? Gam
joseph gambaro
1999 U295 36'

Reply #14
Can't speak to Cobalt Chloride (the blue/pink indicator), but silica gel is basically highly purified sand.  I would think it is very inert and presents little danger hot, cold or otherwise.

Update....  Lots of MSDS info on the web.  Here is one for the desicant with cobalt chloride

https://miltonindustries.com/uploads/MSDS_SHEET_FOR_DESSICANT_BEADS.pdf
George Hatfield

Reply #15
                 The MSDS is available at most websites that sell desiccant including Sorbent's.

D&D
Dean & Deirdre

2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
Was 2003 U270

Reply #16
                                 So I received my "Orange" desiccant from Sorbent yesterday and this afternoon we went into the packaging phase similer to Steve and Michelles original operation with one exception. After some Google search's I found that a $15.00 Wally World hair flat iron works very well to seal up Mylar bags.
              Pretty happy with the results. $11.48 for the Mylar bags shipped, $42.00 for the orange indicating desiccant, and $15.80 for the flat iron because Dee wouldn't let me use hers. ::)

D&D
Dean & Deirdre

2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
Was 2003 U270

Reply #17
After some Google search's I found that a $15.00 Wally World hair flat iron works very well to seal up Mylar bags.

AB would be so proud - a multitasker!

Pretty happy with the results. $11.48 for the Mylar bags shipped, $42.00 for the orange indicating desiccant, and $15.80 for the flat iron because Dee wouldn't let me use hers. ::)

Hmmm... I wonder if you can use a flat iron to reseal white corn tortilla chip bags (like the one I see with a clothespin on it in one photo ;)  )?  We used to have a little bag resealer that worked off batteries.  It would help you ROI that flat iron even further (and be useful with all this humidity we're experiencing in Maine).

Michelle

Reply #18

Hmmm... I wonder if you can use a flat iron to reseal white corn tortilla chip bags (like the one I see with a clothespin on it in one photo ;)  )?  We used to have a little bag resealer that worked off batteries.  It would help you ROI that flat iron even further (and be useful with all this humidity we're experiencing in Maine).

Michelle
                  Hmmm, you may be onto something. I may just try that and see what happens, but then what will we do with all these clothespins. I know of no other good use for them... :))

D&D
Dean & Deirdre

2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
Was 2003 U270

Reply #19
                         I took a photo of a few desiccant beads that attempted to escape the mylar bagging. Notice that a few have turned green from some humidity or moisture they came in contact with.

Dean
Dean & Deirdre

2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
Was 2003 U270

Reply #20
                        I took a photo of a few desiccant beads that attempted to escape the mylar bagging. Notice that a few have turned green from some humidity or moisture they came in contact with.

Nice, distinct color and darkness change ^.^d  I like that better than the "orange to clear" some companies have for the non-cobalt-chloride option.  Good find!

Michelle

Reply #21
Nice, distinct color and darkness change ^.^d  I like that better than the "orange to clear" some companies have for the non-cobalt-chloride option.  Good find!

Michelle
                                Thanks, and btw karma to you guys for pioneering the "bulk desiccant" frontier. Every $ saved on maintenance is a $ for the diesel tank!

D&D

Dean & Deirdre

2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
Was 2003 U270

Reply #22
So, Michelle:  Are you and Steve still in the desiccant business?  I think I need to replace mine....

Reply #23
Is this a good choice if you aren't?  1 Quart Jar of Replacement Desiccant Blue Indicating Silica Gel 1 Qt Volume...

Reply #24
I need some too
Jimmy
2003 U295 3620