Skip to main content
Topic: Re: What did you do to your coach today. Tow skirt (Read 1468 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What did you do to your coach today. Tow skirt

Well, not qiute today but before I left for a several thousand mile trek. After having no luck ordering a tow skirt online, I decided to just make one from some left over shade cloth. It has worked flawlessly and is easy to put on. Cost for everything was about $60.00
Rick

Re: Re: What did you do to your coach today. Tow skirt

Reply #1
After having no luck ordering a tow skirt online, I decided to just make one from some left over shade cloth. It has worked flawlessly and is easy to put on. Cost for everything was about $60.00

Now THAT'S slick!  ^.^d  Looks very similar to our $250 Protect-A-Tow, but more "designer" with the colorful shade cloth (and obviously much more affordable).  How did you determine the appropriate dimensions for the fabric and bungee cord (and where did you buy the bungee)?

I'll bet you could turn that into a nice little business if you wanted to.

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #2
After having no luck ordering a tow skirt online, I decided to just make one from some left over shade cloth. It has worked flawlessly and is easy to put on. Cost for everything was about $60.00

Now THAT'S slick!  ^.^d  Looks very similar to our $250 Protect-A-Tow, but more "designer" with the colorful shade cloth (and obviously much more affordable).  How did you determine the appropriate dimensions for the fabric and bungee cord (and where did you buy the bungee)?

I'll bet you could turn that into a nice little business if you wanted to.

Michelle
Michelle,
            I was rushing to get it done for our trip to Florida and just measured the width of the coach, width of toad, distance from eyebolts added on the coach to the eyebolts added on the toad, added several inches to each end so that the material could be folded over and hemmed to allow the bungee cord to fit. I am not very competent at sewing so I did several test pieces to figure out what allowances and cuts I needed and borrowed my daughter-in -laws sewing machine to finish it up. The material sews very easily with a basic home sewing machine and some UV resistant thread that I bought from a sailing shop several years ago. 1/4" UV resistant bungee was bought off of e-bay and just used the aformentioned dimensions to determine the bungee length. The completed skirt came out great as you can see.
Rick

Reply #3
In response to a request for any improvements,

My tow skirt has worked out great. No noticeable wear in 10K towed miles. I am now using one piece of the electrician's grey PVC for the hold up bar because the std plumbing PVC shattered one day when I dropped it. I added eyelets to the ends of the hold up bar and I store it by hanging it from a couple of caribiners attached to the coach eyelets. Make sure you use high quality marine grade UV resistant elastic cording, cheap stuff might break. Use caribiners that do not have sharp edges otherwise you may cut the bungee. I leave all caribiners on the skirt and hook them all onto the eyelets to avoid nicking the cording.
Good luck,
Rick
Rick

Reply #4
One question Rick, when you go around a corner does the cross bar (tube) in the middle keep it off the ground on the side that gets closer?
john H
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #5
One question Rick, when you go around a corner does the cross bar (tube) in the middle keep it off the ground on the side that gets closer?
john H
Yes
Rick

Reply #6
One more question Rick.
 Is the bungie cord one piece, sewed into the edges of the material?
  Thanks, Richard B.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #7
One more question Rick.
 Is the bungie cord one piece, sewed into the edges of the material?
  Thanks, Richard B.

Richard,
    The bungee cord slides in the fabric which is folded over and sewn together to form a pocket similar to what a curtain rod would go thru. I left the bungee cord long until I got the right length and then just tied the ends together. You can sew the all the pockets and then fish the cording thru when done so make the pocket large enough so that you will be able to do this easily. At some point I submitted a list of materials for this and their sources but don't know where it is now.
Good luck,
Rick
Rick

Reply #8
At some point I submitted a list of materials for this and their sources but don't know where it is now.

I have it in a PM from you:

Michelle,

Here are the materials for the tow skirt along with an alternative for the shade cloth. Below are the links or info for the purchase of the materials.

shade cloth (Approx 6' x 9')

bungee cord (Approx 25')

sail thread (Sailrite V92 or V96?)

eyebolts and caribiners (6 each total, 4 on coach, 2 on toad)

3/4" PVC pipe and 2 couplers (approx 6')

1/4" diameter clip pin to join the two halves of the PVC together

The green tow skirt that I made was from the Home Depot material noted below

From Home Depot

Coolaroo 6 ft. x 15 ft. Shade Cloth Heritage Green (90% UV Block)

Model # 302238

Internet # 100656899
$36.97 /RL-Roll

I eventually bought a 12' wide x 15' long piece of 90% black for use as a patio awning shade from;

Custom size outdoor knitted shade fabric (shadecloth) and shade netting for sun

I also bought a bag of the plastic clips shown below to affix to the lower end of the patio awning and thus to the ground with some bungees. I have not finished the development of the patio shade cloth yet but I have some new ideas for attaching it to the Zip Dee awning flap. I used a UV resistant thread from Sailrite, not sure if it was V-69 or V-92 and the thread is in the coach in FL. I will get that info when I go back Feb 3.  I do not have a word processor on this netbook so I have to do everything in this e-mail. I will formulate a better material list when I have access to my base computer. I will aslo write up a description of how to measure and sew up the tow skirt.

Up to 32 foot wide - Automatic Quoting and Ordering Form
Black 30% to 90%, Green 60% and White 50% in stock 6, 8, 10, 12, 20, 26 and 32 foot widths
8 foot width is not available in 30% or 40% Black and Green 60% - White 50% is not stocked in 8, 10 or 32 foot
FREE SHIPPING with tracking information automatically emailed after your order leaves the factory
sorry ... no expedited orders and no APO/FPO, Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, US VI, Mexico or Canada
* lead time to make your panel is +/- six (6) business days this time of year *
plain cloth orders - without reinforced sewn perimeter hem - typically ship a few days sooner
Please select the color and level of shading for your custom panel
Selection is limited to knit color and density shown above and on this drop down list
30 percent Black Knit40 percent Black Knit50 percent Black Knit60 percent Black Knit70 percent Black Knit80 percent Black Knit90 percent Black Knit60 percent GREEN Knit50 percent WHITE Knit

Check here to install black reinforcing tape and hem on all four sides of your panel

Check here to install reinforced hem and brass grommets every foot with double corners

Check here for a double layer panel where we fold the fabric over, to create two layers

Colorado shipments only check here to add 2.9% sales tax (all other states, no tax)

Total cost of panel(s) with FREE SHIPPING via UPS Ground (motor freight on large orders)
 ($75 minimum delivered price per panel)

Quantity and description of your custom shade panel(s)

********************************************************************************************************

plastic locking clip shade netting fasteners for cable, wire fencing, lashing, nailing, ...plastic Locking Clips - $15 per bag of 36 fasteners
FREE Shipping to 48 contiguous states
Sorry ... no APO/FPO, HI, AK, PR, US VI, Mexico or Canada
fasteners leave the next business day via UPS or USPS

$15 per bag of 36 clips - Select Quantity:
Buy 10 bags and save 25% at $11.25 each (360 clips for $112.50

Bungee cord off of E-bay

50 ft x 1 4" Shock Cord Dacron Jacket | eBay

50 ft x 1/4" shock cord (Dacron Jacket)

Price:

US $8.99
$5.00 Expedited Shipping See more services See shipping discounts
$4.85 shipping for each additional eligible item you buy from ropeydopey.
Start of LayerEnd of Layer | See all shipping details
Returns:
7 days money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read return policy details
Find out more about the Top-rated seller program - opens in a new window or tab
Member id ropeydopey ( Feedback Score Of 2679)
100% Positive feedback
•Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
•Ships items quickly
•Has earned a track record of excellent service
Other item info
Item number:

Item location:
Westfield, MA, United States

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Reply #9
Thanks Michelle,
    I thought I wrote some lengthy info on it but could not find it in my files. Hopefully others can use that info too.
Rick
Rick

Reply #10
Rick,

Just to clarify, in the BOM (Bill of Materials ;)  ) in your PM, you mention some plastic clips - I believe those were just for your patio awning shade project, not the tow skirt, correct?  The PM discussion we had was for both projects.

A note on the tow skirt design, since it's very similar to our Protect-a-Tow...  The P-a-T has a bungie loop in the center of it that goes through a reinforced hole/slot.  Plastic ball on the underside, loop on top and you thread the PVC rod through the loop.  I believe this is to keep the tow skirt from hanging too low in the middle.

Michelle

Reply #11
Rick,

Just to clarify, in the BOM (Bill of Materials ;)  ) in your PM, you mention some plastic clips - I believe those were just for your patio awning shade project, not the tow skirt, correct?  The PM discussion we had was for both projects.

A note on the tow skirt design, since it's very similar to our Protect-a-Tow...  The P-a-T has a bungie loop in the center of it that goes through a reinforced hole/slot.  Plastic ball on the underside, loop on top and you thread the PVC rod through the loop.  I believe this is to keep the tow skirt from hanging too low in the middle.

Michelle
Michelle,
    Correct, the plastic clips are not required for the tow skirt. Correct again about the loop in the middle. In the first post pictures you can see the loop in the center slid thru the PVC, once again I just figured out how much I needed and tied a knot (bowline knot).
Good luck,
Rick
Rick

Reply #12
Great job Rick.
 I've been contemplating doing the same thing for quite a while and now you have giving me the visual image I needed to start this project. Thank you.

Richard B.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #13
Great job Rick.
 I've been contemplating doing the same thing for quite a while and now you have giving me the visual image I needed to start this project. Thank you.

Richard B.
Richard,
      Just do some test pieces to see what size to make the cord pocket. When you have that figured out you have to figure out how you want to sew the corners. Have a large work area to spread the material out. Not sure of your sewing experience but I had none to little but I got thru it with great results and I cannot offer many tips other than what I have already mentioned.
Good luck and let us know how you make out,
Rick
Rick

Reply #14
Our guard was triggered by Steve & Michele's design I believe. Ours is similar to Rick's except we used the heavy duty pet screen from a building/lumber supply store. It is the stuff that is supposed to stop a large dog from going thru the fabric.
The shade/awning material that Rick used looks a lot nicer and most likely folds up a whole lot easier.
Nice job Rick!!
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD