Skip to main content
Topic: Number of Foretravels - Road Worthy - or still in Existence?  (Read 2136 times) previous topic - next topic

Number of Foretravels - Road Worthy - or still in Existence?

::) Any idea how many Foretravel motorhomes are still road worthy?  or how many are still in Existence ? then compared to the total manufactured to date. A good guess would satisfy my curiosity. (Barry? got any idea?)  ??? 
The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Re: Number of Foretravels - Road Worthy - or still in Existence?

Reply #1
::) Any idea how many Foretravel motorhomes are still road worthy?  or how many are still in Existence ? then compared to the total manufactured to date. A good guess would satisfy my curiosity. (Barry? got any idea?)  ??? 
Been working on it but not enough data to make a guess.
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #2
Who has the oldest Foretravel on this forum? Is it still in use today?
Scott Cook
1991 U300 36' 6V92TA
Old Town Penobscot 16
1984 Honda VF1100C (V65 Magna)

Reply #3
             I just got off my horse after counting Foretravel's , and there is a total count of 26 . So the matter is setteled .  Molly said so .    Brad metzger
Brad Metzger
2010 Phenix 45'

Reply #4
If the current build numbers are at 6158 and we figure a 10% to 15% attrition (just a wild ass guess) that leaves 5596.4 to 5925.6 coaches on the road.

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #5
When I was looking for my Grand Villa,
There are plenty of Old Grand Villa's out there, Still in Perfect, Loved, Condition,
Still Rego'd and Roadworthy, Low miles, Most kept under cover when not in use,

Its more the owners that get Aged, not the Mobile Home or RV,

Just too old to drive in most cases, Or health problems, It will happen, Later if possible, Much Much Later, ( Fingers Crossed,)

Mines 89, 25 year old Bus and it does show, But the Quality is in there, Nothing is falling to bits or rotted out,

A good steam clean inside, A cut and polish to the outside, This damn thing will look brand new,

And its a head turner, Hahahahahaha,

I know of seven Grand Villa's in Australia, Pre, 1989.

Cheers,
Brian,

Toys, 1989 Grand Villa, 36 foot, ORED with 300 Hp Cat. 2002 Gemini 34 foot Sailing Catamaran, 2006 Honda Super Blackbird 1100XX, 2002 ZR7 750 Kawasaki,
25 HP Chinese tractor and Backhoe,

Reply #6
When I was looking for my Grand Villa,
There are plenty of Old Grand Villa's out there, Still in Perfect, Loved, Condition,
Still Rego'd and Roadworthy, Low miles, Most kept under cover when not in use,

Its more the owners that get Aged, not the Mobile Home or RV,

Just too old to drive in most cases, Or health problems, It will happen, Later if possible, Much Much Later, ( Fingers Crossed,)

Mines 89, 25 year old Bus and it does show, But the Quality is in there, Nothing is falling to bits or rotted out,

A good steam clean inside, A cut and polish to the outside, This damn thing will look brand new,

And its a head turner, Hahahahahaha,

I know of seven Grand Villa's in Australia, Pre, 1989.

How true.  I sold 84-89's and warned the customers that if you are going to be looking for an excuse to buy a newer one wearing out is not going to be one of them.

I never minding selling these as the customers got more than they paid for. 

Perfect no. 

Bob
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #7
I still wanna know who has the oldest Foretravel on this forum, and if it's still in use today... Should we start a new topic to see who replies?
Scott Cook
1991 U300 36' 6V92TA
Old Town Penobscot 16

Reply #8
It seems to me that a start at figuring out how many coaches are on the road is to check the Foretravelers club and see how many are active. We dropped out (we are just not big joiners) but there must be a lot of active members.

It would not surprise me at all that there would be quite a few coaches from the 1980s and 1990s still on the road. Every time I go into the coach for a major project (and ours is 1993) I'm amazed at how well they put it together. Pulling the shift control cable through the wiring tray was a frustrating job for us but just *having* a wiring tray was impressive.

Craig
1993 U225 36' Unihome GV with PACBRAKE exhaust retarder, Banks Stinger and Solar Panels.
Toad: 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2-door soft-top.

"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar panels broke."

Reply #9
There used to be 1800 members but the dues increase cut that number down a bunch.  In fact this forum has more members than the motorcade club.  I think the club is a great deal.  I have made many friends over the years at the rallies we have attended. 
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #11
Wow, it appears to be in beautiful condition. I'd probably buy that Travco now that I know about Foretravels... if I were shopping for a coach, which I won't be because I'm keeping this one forever now that I've put a lot of time and money into it... and discovered that I accidentally bought exactly what I want. :)
Scott Cook
1991 U300 36' 6V92TA
Old Town Penobscot 16

Reply #12
Radio it's great to hear you say that. I remember you were having doubts
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #13
I still wanna know who has the oldest Foretravel on this forum, and if it's still in use today... Should we start a new topic to see who replies?

We just had a new member join (dclark) that has a 1979.
Michael j
Livermore, Ca for now

1987  Grand Villa 2900 Rear Bath Front 460 Gas Engine.

Reply #14
Ironically it was the fiberglass radiator fan explosion and resulting radiator replacement that convinced me I bought exactly the best coach by accident. During all that I realized I definitely don't want the side radiator with the failure prone hydraulic fan motors, hoses, and pump, and the side radiator is supposedly much more difficult to remove and replace than the rear radiator, which is difficult enough for me! :P I also don't want the wider or longer body because I already have enough trouble getting in and out of national and state parks where I love to camp. I definitely don't want a flat nosed coach or a front entry coach because of the poor aerodynamics and lower fuel efficiency at highway speed, and I love sitting in the passenger's seat when I'm in the coach in campgrounds cuz it's the best seat in the house with an awesome view. I definitely don't want a dark colored coach because it's hot enough already with a white coach, and I tend to go places that are very tight and get a lot of scratches from tree limbs that would show up on dark paint. I really like the center aisle floorplan and the way one roof air conditioner can cool the whole coach. I definitely don't want a residential refrigerator because I love boondocking now. I didn't know any of these things when I accidentally bought this coach. All I knew at that time was that I wanted a multistage turbo/supercharged two cycle Detroit Diesel if I bought a diesel at all, cuz I really love engines so I gotta have the ultimate engine ever built! ;D I'm really glad I did. I think I'd be disappointed with the performance, fuel efficiency, and durability of a gasoline engine. I've looked at a lot of coaches since I bought this one and every time I come away realizing that I've got exactly the coach I would have chosen intentionally if I had known what I wanted. Now that I've put a new radiator in it and replaced the fiberglass fan with a nylon one I've got too much work and money in it to sell it. One of the scariest things in the coach is new now. It's a way better coach than when I first bought it a little over a year ago. That radiator was over two thousand dollars in repairs. I'm about to change out all the airbags. I blew the most difficult one and changed it the other day. I still managed to drive over 50 miles even with a blown airbag, which was pretty cool. That'll be well over a thousand dollars more in parts and a lot of labor, but all new airbags will make it a much more reliable coach. I may replace one or perhaps both roof air conditioners too, which would be over a thousand dollars more in repairs... so I'll never sell it after all that... I'd just end up buying the exact same year and model again anyway. This is the newest model with a narrow body, a rear radiator and a two cycle Detroit Diesel, and it's a total bargain because nobody wants this particular model. Everyone thinks newer is better when nothing could be further from the truth in my experience. The next year newer would have cost me almost twice as much at the time. Even when I tried to sell it the Foretravel dealer told me nobody wanted this narrow body model and that I might as well junk it if it doesn't run. People always told me that about my 1965 Impala until just a few years ago. Now everybody wants to buy it from me and they chase me around town yelling at me across lanes of traffic while I'm trying to drive!
Scott Cook
1991 U300 36' 6V92TA
Old Town Penobscot 16

Reply #15
Here's an '87 local to me, Foretravel Grande Villa Diesel Pusher
and there's an '82 a couple hours south that's at an auction house. Can't find thier ad at the moment.
The more I see of these, the less I'm surprised at how many oldtimers are still on the road. They are built much less like motorhomes and much more like yachts; and there are plenty of really old boats plying the waves still, owned by people who appreciate what they have. Build it properly and treat it well and watch it go, for decades.
Jay
1989 U280 SE, 36', 3208T Cat, build 3292

Reply #16
Wouldn't even try to guess, but here is an oldy for any one looking for one of these.

http://www.holdenfamilyrv.com/inventory.asp?cat=336

Its in Holden Maine, just south of Bangor.
My FIRST Foretravel was an 82 TRAVCO just like this one.  I did learn to dislike the Dodge 440-3 and all its quirks and shortcomings but the Foretravel HOUSE part was not a lot different than my later 85 FT and Current 95.
Gary B

Reply #17
My FIRST Foretravel was an 82 TRAVCO just like this one.  I did learn to dislike the Dodge 440-3 and all its quirks and shortcomings but the Foretravel HOUSE part was not a lot different than my later 85 FT and Current 95.
Gary B

Ah an old Foretraveler.  Gold club jackets and coaches.  Brown interiors.  Sold and drove a lot of travco's and a few Avcoes and gtc coaches. All brands purchased by Foretravel long ago. 

No way to kill a travco body.  Fiberglass left and right halves. 

Where did your 83 go?

Love to walk in one again.  lift up front table.  Post tables in closet. 

The newby's here will never know.....

Bob. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #18
Aw, the old, but goody TRAVCO
My very 1st motorhome, 1979 TRAVCO, 26' (I Think), Onan Generator.

Only used to travel from Dallas Fort Worth area to Harlingen TX in October for the Confederate Air Foce air show.

Would transport six of us, sleep six (in shifts that is ), party dozens.
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #19
Bob, My 82 TRAVCO had been painted with IMRON by the former owner, You could wash bugs off with a hose.  He paid 1700 bucks back then to have it painted probably equivalent to 25 grand now.  It was in bad mechanical shape when I bought my 85 ORED, I sold it thru a broker, a banker bought it in Atlanta and I lost track for a while.  It then turned up at a FMCA rally and I spent several rallies helping out a college professor keep it going, It broke down so oftyen that his wife refused to ride in it. He was so dumb he tried to light the reefer with a match instead of the Piezo electric switch, melted the whole front panel of the reefer.
Later I saw it on the street in Stone Mountain, GA and its been years since I have seen it.  I will bet that that fibreglass body is till in existence somewhere.
Gary B

Reply #20
The weirdest TRAVCO I have ever seen was in Avondale Estates , GA.  Someone had taken a 26 foot TRAVCO and set it on an old Freightliner truck chassis ( looks like on old breadbox type ).  I have a photo at home , I will try to post it later.  I don't think you can kill a Travco any easier than you can a Foretravel.
Gary B

Reply #21
Well, Since its the history questions and the old coaches I love...
I probably have the oldest Foretravel here a 1971 24' on an international chassis with a 392 gasoline engine. The coach is not usable but, My plan is to have her restored to her former glory some day. I am still in love with (after 20 yrs) my 1983 FTX diesel with over 370K miles and still cruises the highway with grace and elegance.
James Holder
'83 3500 FTX ORED LIMITED

Reply #22
Did you restore the '83 or was it like that when you got it? It's in beautiful condition! ^.^d
Scott Cook
1991 U300 36' 6V92TA
Old Town Penobscot 16

Reply #23
What is the motor in the '83?
Peter and Tammy Fleming and Rosie
1991 U300 GV 40 - Sold, owned for 4 years
Downsized to Roadtrek Popular 210 class B

Reply #24
Bob, My 82 TRAVCO had been painted with IMRON by the former owner, You could wash bugs off with a hose.  He paid 1700 bucks back then to have it painted probably equivalent to 25 grand now.  It was in bad mechanical shape when I bought my 85 ORED, I sold it thru a broker, a banker bought it in Atlanta and I lost track for a while.  It then turned up at a FMCA rally and I spent several rallies helping out a college professor keep it going, It broke down so oftyen that his wife refused to ride in it. He was so dumb he tried to light the reefer with a match instead of the Piezo electric switch, melted the whole front panel of the reefer.
Later I saw it on the street in Stone Mountain, GA and its been years since I have seen it.  I will bet that that fibreglass body is till in existence somewhere.
Gary B

Was the Imron guy from the west coast?  I remember something about that coach. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430