Skip to main content
Topic: ABS Test Switch (Read 1264 times) previous topic - next topic

ABS Test Switch

On my trip the ABS light never went out. I read that I need to press the test switch to see what the error code is. I have looked everywhere under the dash and under the rear dash cover and can not find the switch anywhere. Does anyone have a clue where they put it in the 1997 U295's

2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Re: ABS Test Switch

Reply #1
turbo,

On our '97 U-320 the test switch is hid inside the control module down in the basement. You just have to take the cover off to find it. Before you get too drastic make sure all the cables are plugged properly. Here  is a pic. of what you are looking for.

Pamela & Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #2
when I get back from Dinner I will go and check out.

Reply #3
Curious what you find. Have never found ours, and ABS light stays on in ours sometimes also. Replaced a sensor recently but that did not completely cure it.
1996 U295 36' WTBI

Reply #4
Finally had time tonight to go and check this out. I found the box in the picture. In my U295 it is located above the battery charger in the compartment between the batteries and propane tank. I am getting too old and blind. I got the box open but could not find the button. I took a number of pictures hoping I can see in picture. I button is there I am going to need a second person to do the check since I can not be at dash and in compartment at same time.  On cover it says midland-grau abs then on tag there is M. O.: T0076  part # 384199001. On the back on the inside there is a big label. All of the electronics and cables are connected to the cover. I could not get the cover far enought out of the way to get a good picture of what the label on the back said.  Going to do some searching before I go back out again.

To be continued.

Reply #6
Finally had time tonight to go and check this out. I found the box in the picture. In my U295 it is located above the battery charger in the compartment between the batteries and propane tank. I am getting too old and blind. I got the box open but could not find the button. I took a number of pictures hoping I can see in picture. I button is there I am going to need a second person to do the check since I can not be at dash and in compartment at same time.  On cover it says midland-grau abs then on tag there is M. O.: T0076  part # 384199001. On the back on the inside there is a big label. All of the electronics and cables are connected to the cover. I could not get the cover far enought out of the way to get a good picture of what the label on the back said.  Going to do some searching before I go back out again.

To be continued.

Bad news as far as I know is that the midland Grau unit is non repairable and after haldex bought the company they quit supporting it.

Axles need to be changed to replace the system with a current one.  If someone found a solution please post.

Bob
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #7
Bob, that is not good news
When I was in the box there are 2 fuses, but both checked out good.

I searched the internet last night and found nothing. I did find where they had a tool that would plug into the bottom connector and would give the codes. Just could not find where to get a code reader from. I have not done anything besides that since so busy at work.

Reply #8
On my coach if I held the brake on, then turned on the key it would send two release signals to each wheel.
Might be worth a try. If it does cycle the system maybe it will clear the problem.
Easy to try.
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #9
The good thing is that when when the ABS system fails, it defaults to regular braking minus the ABS.

And I believe that there is someone out there who has the knowledge to repair such systems, and may even have the  surplus parts available.  Just a  matter of finding such a source.  The problem is that we are such a "throw away - junk it" society.
1994 U225
build #4514

Reply #10
Yes I heard it is not supported any longer too. 
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #11
Do a search here ( may be old Yahoo group ) for Midland Grau, I found a lot of help with an engineer in KS. He even loaned my his analyzer.  Can't find it right now but all info was on this site.

Gary B