Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone convert from 4 button thermostat to Comfort Control Center II? (Read 3307 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone convert from 4 button thermostat to Comfort Control Center II?

It's finally time to replace my Dometic 4 button Comfort Control Center thermostat...and it looks like a lot of people here have upgraded to the 5 button Comfort Control Center.  I'm wondering if anyone has skipped the 5 button and gone with the Comfort Control Center II instead? 

Besides the more modern looks, apparently the Comfort Control Center II is programmable, meaning it can adjust the temp automatically based on time of day.  Being full timers, I think that would prove to be a worthwhile feature. 

I have not found a lot of info on upgrading, but it appears to be similar to changing over from a 4 button to a 5 button, where you have to change the thermostat, and the control board for each A/C unit. 

Here is a link to more info on the thermostat:
Products - Dometic

The first photo shows the 4-button, 5-button, and new Comfort Control Center II thermostats.

My A/Cs are Duo-Therm 620 Models.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
The selected media item is not currently available.
Douglas and Amanda
1997 40' U320 "Brawley"
2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
Motorcade #17266 Escapee #113692

Re: Anyone convert from 4 button thermostat to Comfort Control Center II?

Reply #1
It was one of the first things I did to my FT after buying it since the older unit was operating inconsistently.  As far as I'm concerned, it is one of the best upgrades I have made.

As you've said, all that is involved is replacing the thermostat and a control board in each rooftop AC unit.  The existing cables were all able to be reused.  I've had it in place for 2 years.

My best advice is to call or email Dometic with the information off the nameplate inside the fresh air grill and let them tell you which control boards you will need.  They sold me the control boards for about $100 each.  One arrived slightly damaged and they immediately sent me a new one. 

Here is a pic of the newer thermostat installed in place of the old one.

Robert
Build # 5304
1998 34' U270 Cummins 6CTA8.3

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.  I'm glad to know it can be done.  My past emails with Dometic (on other issues) haven't been that successful, but I'll give them a call on Monday to see what I can find out.
Douglas and Amanda
1997 40' U320 "Brawley"

Reply #3
Douglas, I am right with you on this one! Please post your experience and any details of the process you can... I really, really hate that 4 button monstrosity! Dual push for changing zones more often than not just changes modes on the current zone. I have never trusted the simultaneous push of two buttons on a remote panel of any kind. Maybe because I know that it is nearly impossible to push two buttons simultaneously... ::) The kind where you push one button and then while holding it down push another and let go are useable, but I have tried every which way with this one, and while contact cleaner may improve the situation, I just want to deep six the darn thing >:(
Don
Thanks for the reply.  I'm glad to know it can be done.  My past emails with Dometic (on other issues) haven't been that successful, but I'll give them a call on Monday to see what I can find out.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #4
Don and Douglas,

When one of the two top switches (usually the mode switch) becomes faulty, it becomes more difficult to change zones. Sadly, Dometic no longer sells or services these older models. Repair (by installing new switches) sure beats the far greater expense of up grading to a 5 button or newer model thermostat that require that you replace the air conditioner boards too and also figure out how to run new wires through the coach.

You might visit the commercial section of this forum to find where these 4 button thermostats can be rebuilt very quickly and with a warranty.
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #5
If I am not mistaken Bill Hendrix in CO can rebuild those thermostats, I don't have hts phone # right at hand but Brett W can supply it.
Gary B

Reply #6
For those of you wanting to repair your erratic 4-button t-stat, here's a link to Chuck's post: How to repair your Dometic 4 button thermostat
Good Luck, Dave A
Dave and Nancy Abel
'00 U320 36' WTFE  Build #5669
'10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Livingston, TX  SKP's Fulltiming

Reply #7
Douglas,

Just to clarify something, they will need more detail than telling them that you have a model 620.  The model number they will need will be something like this, 620315.321 (this is mine), which denotes which options you have on your unit and will determine which circuit board you need.  It isn't a one size fits all board from talking with them.

The replacement circuit board will look similar to this-
http://www.anyrvparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=12118&SID=35&DID=52&CID=187&BID=

make sure that you don't just rip off all the old connections but mark or keep track of everything.  Changing one wire over at a time is the best bet and take a good clear picture of everything beforehand.  You will also have to set the dip switches for the master unit and the slave unit along with whether you have heat strips or a heat pump or no heat.

The overall difficulty of changing over the boards is low, if you are able to spend a couple of hours up on the roof.  I've had no difficulties with contacting Dometic Customer Service through email or phone.

Robert
Build # 5304

Reply #8
Robert, this question is for you since you have done this upgrade... Do the new control boards contain a temperature sensor for the outside temperature display? The feature list of these is impressive, but I just wonder how much of it is usable. On the Dometic website it even says that it can work with two stage furnaces. The only one I know of is the Atwood Excalibur XT.
Don
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #9
Don,

That is an interesting question that you may end up having to ask Dometic. 

I did this about 2 years ago so my memory is a little hazy.  From what I remember though, if your unit didn't come with a feature, it couldn't be added later.  My thermostat doesn't have the button for the exterior temperature function, it just has a hard piece of plastic where the button could have been in the bottom right hand corner along with the also missing button just inside of that.  You can see if you look closely at my picture and the images scuba put up that not all of the thermostats are the same.  The ones with the outdoor temp button were for replacement of more modern setups rather than an upgrade of older systems.

From my research at the time, I had read a few times that upgrading the old ACs isn't the route that Dometic would like you to take, they would prefer you bought new AC units.  I had no trouble with the customer service people about it and they freely gave me the part numbers for it.  Once everything was set up, I haven't had a single issue with it. 

You made a point that I wanted to clarify in the older thread about the Atwood furnaces regarding being able to  independently control the zones.  The furnace is controlled by the master AC unit so you won't be able to use both the furnace and the heat strip/pump at the same time for that zone.  However, you can run the heat strip/pump in the bedroom, on a single furnace U270, in addition to the furnace running on the front zone.  While 2 furnaces or Aquahot would be a better solution for cold weather camping, I haven't had any problems in the -15F temperatures I've been in with the single furnace and the heat strip running. 
Robert
Build # 5304

Reply #10
I have a 5 button unit in my 2007 Nimbus. I like the appearance and look of the Comfort Control Center II. Has anyone replaced the 5 button with this upgrade? Does it still require replacing the control boards or is that not necessary since you would be upgrading from the 5 button?

Don
2007 Nimbus 340 quad slide
Build #6386 FMC #17360 FMCA #441779

Reply #11
Wow...so much info.

Jim, Gary & Dave...it's good to have all the sources for repair of the 4-button in one place in a recent thread.  This will definitely help someone in the future.  But for us it's time to upgrade to something better.

... I really, really hate that 4 button monstrosity! Dual push for changing zones more often than not just changes modes on the current zone. I have never trusted the simultaneous push of two buttons on a remote panel of any kind...
I couldn't agree more, trying to push two working buttons at the exact same moment is just silly.  As far as displaying outside temperature, that would be a nice feature.  I'll ask if that's possible with my model A/C.  Just curious, what is the full model of your A/Cs?

Just to clarify something, they will need more detail than telling them that you have a model 620.  The model number they will need will be something like this, 620315.321 (this is mine), which denotes which options you have on your unit and will determine which circuit board you need.  It isn't a one size fits all board from talking with them.
<snip>
The overall difficulty of changing over the boards is low, if you are able to spend a couple of hours up on the roof.  I've had no difficulties with contacting Dometic Customer Service through email or phone.
Thanks Robert....mine are model 620315.421, I also have the serial numbers of both units ready for when I call.  Good to hear changing the boards is easy...I like easy...I'm going to have to figure out where I can not only spend some time on the roof but also get my hands on a decent ladder.  ScubaGuy > 200# rated ladder ;D

I have a 5 button unit in my 2007 Nimbus. I like the appearance and look of the Comfort Control Center II. Has anyone replaced the 5 button with this upgrade? Does it still require replacing the control boards or is that not necessary since you would be upgrading from the 5 button?

Don
This is just a guess, but I think it might require different control boards than the 5-button unit uses.  A couple of months ago I read (not on this forum) a thread about changing from a 5-button to the CCC II, and they had to change out their control boards.  But since it didn't really apply to me, I didn't save it.  Sorry.

Thanks for all the info so far.
Douglas and Amanda
1997 40' U320 "Brawley"

Reply #12
I have a new thermostat for your replacement in the box it is a duo-therm I purchased from fot then had to change an air conditioner so I needed a new domectic if you are interested you can email me jimbrady13@yahoo.com

Reply #13
This is how we changed our 4-button to 5-button thermostat:
replacing-duo-therm-thermostat

It has part numbers, instruction, etc.

Reply #14
For those of you wanting to repair your erratic 4-button t-stat, here's a link to Chuck's post: How to repair your Dometic 4 button thermostat
Good Luck, Dave A

Have to second the simple wipe off, reinstall and go project. Easiest project so far with my Foretravel.  "Reconditioning" the thermostat took me only 45 minutes.. :o  Now 40 minutes of that was crawling around on the carpet trying to locate the small "metal" contact points that will fly if squeezed hard enough with tweezers.   

Thanks for pushing this post back to the surface Dave A.
David and Christi Spillman
2000 U320 40'
BOD..5627
1992 airstream classic limited
1989 avion XB
1989 avion 32s
1987 avion 34w
1998  U270 36' "Project"
1983 avion 34w
1962 avion T25