Skip to main content
Topic: Air Dryer Bypass Demo (Read 7181 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Dryer Bypass Demo

NOTE:  If you are unfamiliar with the air dryer bypass tool, see this topic:  Air won't build past 40psi, stuck by roadside

Don and Tys (acousticart) recent roadside experience with a malfunctioning air dryer was a wakeup call for me.  I decided I would go through my air system and replace or repair any questionable components, and in the process familiarize myself with the procedure required to use the Emergency Dryer Bypass (hereafter referred to as the EDB).  Those of you who have never had a dryer go bad may assume that using the EDB is pretty simple - you just remove the air lines from dryer and connect them.  Well, after simulating a "dryer failure" in my driveway (with safety stands in place) and attempting to use my EDB, I can tell you that it may not be quite that easy.  In fact, for me it was VERY difficult!  My sincere congratulations to Don for being able to accomplish this task under less-than-ideal conditions!

Your first problem will be access.  I know different model coaches have the dryer mounted in different places - yours may be easier to reach than mine.  Dryer failure usually means no air pressure, which means no lifting the coach to install safety stands.  My AD-9 air dryer is mounted high up in the driver side rear corner of the engine compartment, hidden behind one of the hydraulic tanks.  Reaching in through my engine cover, I can only touch it with one hand.  Crawling under the coach is the only realistic way to work on it, but with the coach sitting down on the mechanical stops, you will have very little room to maneuver.

Your second problem is tools, or rather lack of them.  I carry a pretty good selection of tools in my coach, but I only had one wrench that was big enough to remove the big air line connections: a 12" (300mm) Cresent wrench.  A adjustable wrench is not ideal when faced with VERY tight connections, but it will work.  Personally, I plan to buy several properly sized open end wrenches, so in the future I will be better prepared.  A couple 1 1/4" heavy duty spanners should do the trick.  A 2' "cheater pipe" would also be very helpful!

You will need some way to plug the small "control" air line that runs from the D-2 air governor to the air dryer.  It will probably be either a 1/4" or a 3/16" flare connection - I would carry both size plugs (or a selection of sizes) just to be safe.  See the photo of the required flare plug (below).

There has been some discussion recently about the "shape" of the EDB.  Some say a simple 1-piece double union connector would work.  In my case, it would not.  There is no way I could bend the big air hoses enough to make a straight connection.  Only a "U" shaped bypass would work for me.

On to the demo!  The photos below (hopefully in order) will show the following:

1.  AD-9 air dryer viewed from the engine hatch.  The small braided "control" hose just visible to the left of dryer is the one you need to remove and plug.
2.  Close up of small braided "control" hose.  The flare plug goes here.
3.  Photo of type of flare plug that is required.
4.  AD-9 air dryer viewed from under the coach.  The 2 big braided hoses (one in foreground, one in background) are the ones to remove and connect together.
5.  Big hoses detached from dryer and connected with EDB.
6.  Better view of "control" hose connection.  There is a "T" double flare connection at the base of dryer (below the white label).  Control hose connects to the "T".
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Re: Air Dryer Bypass Demo

Reply #1
GREAT POST CHUCK !!!
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #2

+1 !
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #3
Chuck, thank you ^.^d

How often could this happen?

If its more than every 3-4 years; would it be possible to install a perminate bypass?
The selected media item is not currently available.
My advice and experiences are Free, you decide if they are worth anything .

John - driving Old Faithful
1994 U280 GV
C8.3, Banks, Pacbrake, 900 watts, Resonator, XLHD tow dolly
Retired Army Warrant Officer

Life is what you make of it - if it is lemons, make lemonade!
Former Coaches:
1988 GV 40' ORED 300HP CAT - 9 years
1990 Winnebago LeSharo - 3 years
2000 Newmar London Aire - 3 years (#18 of 23 produced)

Reply #4
Nice Job Chuck! ^.^d
Don
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #5
 Chuck,
Great follow-up! 
On your coach, is the D-2 Governor easily accessible?  It doesn't matter which end of the pneumatic Governor "control" signal is plugged, as long as the Governor air escape is terminated.  On my coach, the Governor is very accessible.  Removing the flexible tubing (headed toward the Haldex Pure Air Plus Dryer) and using an 1/8" NPT plug in the Governor "control" port is the easiest way.
Thanks.  Very nice.
Neal

Neal (& Brenda) Pillsbury
'02 U320 SPEC, 4200, DGFE, Build #5984
'04 Gold Wing
'07 Featherlite 24'
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
MC #14494
Exeter, NH & LaBelle FL
Quality makes the Heart Soar long after Price is Forgotten

Reply #6
 Now your turn Neal to beat me to it on posting about removing the D2 line and plugging.
I bought Friday the fittings to make a bypass etc "just in case" even though I regularily service the Dryer (every 18 months)  and hope never to need to use the "rescue kit" !!
Luckily the location of Dryer on our coach is very accessable on the rear crossbeam that contains the hitch, although you still have to get under this tube to undo lines.
Good posting Chuck.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #7
Very informative and helpful post, including the need for proper tools.
Thanks,
Rodger
Rodger and Carol Riggs
1996 U270 36',  Build #4831, Jerry Whiteaker's old coach

Reply #8
On your coach, is the D-2 Governor easily accessible?

On my coach, it would be a toss up.  The D-2 is hidden behind the other hydraulic reservoir, on the passenger side of the engine compartment.  It would be equally easy (or difficult) to disconnect the hose and install the appropriate plug at either end of the "control" hose.  Might depend on what kind of plugs you have available, male NPT or male flare.  I will be adding a selection of both type plugs to my tool kit!

Reply #9
...would it be possible to install a perminate bypass?

Almost anything is possible!  Would it be worth the effort?  Only you can answer that.  You would need 2 valves, one at inlet and one at output, on the dryer.  Then between both big hoses and the valves, you would install "T" connectors.  A cross pipe (or hose) with another valve in the middle would connect the 2 "T"s.  All these fittings would have to be fairly large gauge, to match the size of the air hoses.  Finally, you would install a small valve somewhere in the "control" line.

Normal operation: The "control" line valve open, the valve between the "T"s closed, and the dryer inlet and output valves open.

Emergency operation: The "control" line valve closed, valve between the "T's open, dryer inlet and output valves closed.

Give it a try, and let us know how it works!

Reply #10
Chuck, how often is the possibility a EDB would be needed?

1994 U280 GV

Former Coaches:

Reply #11
Chuck, how often is the possibility a EDB would be needed?

One of those questions that is impossible to answer - maintain your air dryer as recommended (by the manufacturer, and on this forum) and you may never need one.

Reply #12
Thats what i thought, but there are "gear heads" here like Don. If it happens to him and since i dont have his "roadside" skill set it, this is a good option that I need to consider.

I am at best an amature, my Dad is expert but 85 so looks like a hundred or so in the drive will probally net save $300-500 plus a tow, time, frustration etc, etc :o

Thanks Chuck! ^.^d

1994 U280 GV

Former Coaches:

Reply #13
Wow, nice write up.

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #14
Howdy Chuck,
    Great write-up!!  I bought the fittings to make an EDB, and I'll be getting a set of the large wrenches.  Thanks for the link to HF. 
Thanks for all your great work on this issue.  Dave A
Dave and Nancy Abel
'00 U320 36' WTFE  Build #5669
'10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Livingston, TX  SKP's Fulltiming

Reply #15
Thank you!!!
I'm especially glad to learn about that small control line from the D2. I was confused about it until now.
Just a question about the large wrenches... a few days ago Roger Berke of Aquahot posted a HF link for some as well (15 Piece SAE Service Wrench Set). You mentioned a 2' cheater pipe, so I'm wondering if the pipe would be easier to use on this other set. Just curious about your opinion on which set. The price is the same; Roger's set only goes up to 1 5/8" though. Would that be big enough?
sure appreciate your photos!
Thanks, Dick
Dick, '03 U320 40' Tag, 2 slides, Coach #6075
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Reply #16
Went to Home Depot and Lowes and could not find the parts to make the EDB.  Will be in Nacogdoches on the 11th of this month so will go by the hydraulic shop on the loop and see if they have the parts.  Can you give me again the list and size of the parts.  They have been mentioned here in so many sizes I am now confused.  Are there more than one size air dryer?  DAN
Dan & Shirley Stansel
2002 U295 4020 AGDS Build#6054
Towing Buick Enclave & M &  G Braking
Emerald Bay, Lake Palestine, Texas
MC# 16650

Reply #17
 For me, when I serviced my first air dryer and didn't have wrenches big enough to do the job, instead of buying a set of large wrenches and most likely using only one or two of them, I bought a Hex wrench from Ridgid Tools. It's about 10 1/2 inches when fully opened, jaw size is from 1 1/8 to 2 1/2 inches. You don't have any hose fittings larger than that on our coaches. You will have to use a "cheater" pipe with it for the big fittings.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Re: "cheater" pipe "

Reply #18
I carry three(3) different size PVC pipes, about 18" long
They are labeled " Cheaters, do not remove "
Easy to cut off if they are to long to use, replace when you get home.
Save the old one too.
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #19
I bought a Hex wrench from Ridgid Tools.

We used to use those in the oil field - it's a good tool (as is everything from Ridgid).  We would put too big a cheater on them, and bend the handle.  Ridgid would replace with a new one, no questions asked.  Only concern I would have is the size of the wrench versus the working space available.  I think you might run into situations where this adjustable wrench would not fit, but a standard open end would.  Best idea would be to have both!  Remember the old saying: "He who dies with the most tools, wins!".

Reply #20
Bill, now I know what to do with the scrap pvc! Thanks, always used conduit, this is lighter ^.^d

1994 U280 GV

Former Coaches:

Reply #21
  Can you give me again the list and size of the parts.

Part #2501-12-08      3/4 M-JIC / 1/2 M-NPT / 90 DEG      $5.30EA
Part #5000-08-08      1/2 F-NPT / 1/2 F-NPT / COLLAR      $2.96EA

Reply #22
Roger's set only goes up to 1 5/8" though. Would that be big enough?

I think you may find fittings bigger than 1 5/8" on your coach - only way to be sure is to crawl under there and look.  As for the cheater pipe, it must be just big enough to fit over the "non-working" end of the wrench, but not too big or it will slip off and you'll hurt yourself.  Buy the wrench set, then scrounge up the cheater pipe that fits.

Reply #23
Someone who is an expert,  please correct me if I got this wrong...

My understanding is that you should never use Teflon tape on other than water pick especially,  as a Teflon fragment getting away can cause a world of grief.

Thai being true (?),  what,  if anything,  should be used to seal the threads?
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #24
Thanks, I'll go for the larger sizes. ;)
Dick, '03 U320 40' Tag, 2 slides, Coach #6075
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V