Skip to main content
Topic: Another Samsung installed (Read 1933 times) previous topic - next topic

Another Samsung installed

After lots of questions, great feed back, a bunch of research and a bit of a scare from Tom Lang we decided that our nearly 14 year old Dometic should go.  I was really attracted to the Sea Freeze idea but a custom refrig to fit the space just seemed to expensive.  So we settled on a Samsung RF197, a 19 cu ft stainless French door model. 

The Samsung was $987 or so at HD and my preferred local appliance store matched the price and delivered it in two days.  HD was 10 days out.  I recruited some of my buddies for a refrigerator swap.  I got the old one out of its space and on to a dolly in the coach in a couple hours.  Cabinet, plumbing and electrical mods (mostly moving to gain space) took a few more hours. Pulled the window out (the heat gun hint was a great help).  I rented a manual fork lift and the old refrigerator was out and the new one inside in about an hour.  It took more than that to clean the sealant off the window and get it back in.

The new cabinet and a new base for the refrigerator were installed and a couple test fits (Susan says four) got everything where I wanted it.  The new trim and cabinet door was was installed.  Looks pretty good.

We lost the space under the old refrigerator, gained more than 50% refrigerator capacity and at 32 1/8" wide gained a narrow full height cabinet next to the Samsung that is 3 1/4" wide x 21" deep inside the cabinet.  Five shelves gives us lots of room for stuff in boxes (cake mix for example), beverage cans, trays, our jig saw puzzle board and the sink covers. Each shelf has a Lexan bottom that slides out making that stuff at the inside easy to get at.

I can see a way to make pull out pantry like drawers that would have about the same size as the cabinet I built.  This way was simple and gave us the space we wanted for big flat things and more.

Side vent is insulated and sealed. The roof vent is 75% closed.

Plugged into the inverter outlet.  I should have added a switch under the sink to control the outlet (turn the refrigerator on and off) or added an inverter outlet behind the drawers under the cook top into which I could have plugged the refrigerator. Our experience is limited so far but it draws less than 10 amps on the inverter and runs less than 50% of the time.  My expectation was a 40 watt average draw.  About the same as four of the halogen ceiling lights.  I have changed out virtually all lighting inside and out to LED and have saved way more than that.

So about $1000.  Materials on hand for the cabinet and trim.  About 20-24 hours total time.  Lots of that was in the cabinet work.  A swap with the refrigerator centered and simple trim would have been half that.  It helps to be handy.

A very satisfactory change. Vary stable temps.  It only takes about four hours to get to set points. 

Roger and Susan

Re: Another Samsung installed

Reply #1
Beautiful job!
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #2
Great job.  You will love it.  We put a sliding door lock on the freezer and a velcro strap around the fridge doors.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #3
Absolutely a beautiful install.  Cabinet work looks great!!
Gary Mauck
Deerfield Beach, Fl.
2005 U320 40' PBGB

"Elks Care, Elks Share!"

Reply #4
Sorry to have scared you. However, the results are worth it. Be safe.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #5
Hi Roger,
  Nice work. Looks real nice.
Raymond
Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Reply #6
Very nice enjoy.
I believe residential fridge upgrade is one of the best thing to do to our FT's
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #7
All good!

Small point - doors on these refrigerators have a vacuum created in the doors at manufacture to increase efficiency.  If you drill into freezer door to install sliding door lock, you will release the vacuum.  f possible, use JB weld or another High strength epoxy to attach the slider hardware to the freezer door, without drilling into door or skewing into door.

I showed my really cool slider lock on the Haier French Door freezer to Mr. Flanigan at last years Gvention.  He Loved it and sent me a really cool velcro door keeper for the french doors on my cheapie Haier residential.  He also reported that Samsung and GE would void the warranty on their products if holes were drilled into the doors - "releasing" the factory vacuum.

I would never go back from my residential, but thought I would point this small fact out as more of us move to residential.
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #8
Tim,

Thanks for the feedback.

We have nice red velcro tie for the upper doors.  Easy to see when it is on.  I am still considering freezer door latch options.  I would rather not modify the door in any way. I am thinking of a spring loaded catch at the bottom of the drawer that would be part of the cherry base.  Pull out and rotate sort of thing.  Did you post a picture of your latch?

Roger

Reply #9
Roger, great minds think alike they say as that is something I was thinking when I saw your post of install. Rotatable with a decent spring behind so it cannot turn on its own, and  no slop between cabinet door and stop.
Other ways too, a latch that you push down with your toes, only this would need some thinking a bit so it does not jump up when bottom cabinet is out and not be able to close door as I imagine that door hangs a bit lower that base of the freezer cabinet bottom.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #10
Nice looking refrigerator, and a beautiful installation.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #11
Roger, when last at FOT I noticed a leather Velcro strap used to hold both doors closed on a 3 door fridge like yours in one of the pre-owned coaches that was for sale.  It looked like it would do the job and looked good.  Maybe if someone is at FOT now they could send you a picture of it...I don't remember which coach it was.  Check with parts dept and if they are not aware of it check with David F.  I got mine from him after they installed our fridge.
Bill
Bill and Joyce, The House2 and Dashboard Pig III
2000 U320 4210 CAI (The House2)
Build # 5733
2019 F150 King Ranch FX4

Reply #12
Bill, I think you are referring to the 2012 hi-45 at FOT.  Went on it last week, the straps are good looking and the doors are very secure.  If you go to the FOT web site you can see them in several pictures.
Gary Mauck
Deerfield Beach, Fl.
2005 U320 40' PBGB

"Elks Care, Elks Share!"

Reply #13
Bill,  maybe a big leather tool belt.

I'll keep thinking on it. It needs to be simple, clever, easy to use, foolproof and not have any impact on the door. Maybe something, I'll think of it.

Roger

Reply #14
Keep me posted.  I am getting that fridge installed in Dec.  I will need you to have a solution to this issue by then ... okay?
Carol & Jeff Savournin
Usta have a '93 U225 36', Usta have a '95 U320 40', Usta have a '02 U320 40'
Usta have a 2006 Born Free, Usta have a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser
Usta have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4dr
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."  Steve Jobs

Reply #15
Got this lock at Home Depot (link below) - bracket and pin is screwed into cabinet, other half of latch screwed into freezer drawer. Â FOund out late those doors are vacumn evacuated for better insulation - so I didn't do my refrigerator any favors, although still working great.

Prime-Line Patio Chrome Sliding Door Loop Lock-U 9847 at The Home Depot

David Flanigan made me a spiffy custom velcro door holder that goes around the handles of the French door.

I would use the same part again, but I would probably use clear 3M 5200 on the part that goes on the freezer door to hold it rather than screws, Â Or perhaps some type of epoxy system - I wouldn't want to drill again into a freezer door knowing what I know now.
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #16
The best solution I've seen posted is the big horseshoe that goes through all three handles.  Make it out of wood and cover it with padding.
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #17
Big is the important word there, Tom. I have seen pictures of that idea in action.  Another something to stow and it might make getting into the fridge harder while under way to get snacks. I am still working on a solution.

Carol,

Be sure the installers are careful to make as much room as possible towards the outside wall.  I rotated the cleanout in the drain so that it points up and repositioned electrical wiring bunbles and an lp gas line to the cooktop to gain as much depth as possible.  The RF197 case is 24 1/2" deep.  I managed to get just iver 24".  The doors reduce our walkway width by a couple inches and the handle (not really in the walkway) a couple more.

Be sure the refrigerator is not mounted too high so that opening the doors is impeded by the sliding door track or anything else.  Mine is up about 3 - 3 1/4" up from the existing plywood floor which left plenty of room and gave me clearance at the bottom back side for all of the plumbing and wiring back there.

I am going to add an outlet behind the kitchen drawers powered from the inverter circuit breaker panel with its own breaker.  I want to be able to turn the refrigertor off.  I haven't found a front panel means to do that.  You can set it to be in a store display mode (lights but no cooloig) but apparently not off.  If you are not using the ice make be sure to turn it off from the front panel.  I was concerned that I was going to have to do this every time we turned it on but it appears that if you turn it off that setting sticks.

So far we like it a lot. You will too.

Roger

Reply #18
In my 2003, there is a door right above the microwave,  next to the refrigerator.  Behind the door there is a duplex outlet with a power cord to the microwave plugged into one side.  The other side would be ideal for the refrigerator.
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #19
On my circuit breaker panel at the foot of the bed, there's a breaker for the refrigerator outlet. Then again, your coach is much newer.
Steve & Ginny Hill
96 U295 36'/Wrangler
Tampa

Reply #20
In my 2003, there is a door right above the microwave,  next to the refrigerator.  Behind the door there is a duplex outlet with a power cord to the microwave plugged into one side.  The other side would be ideal for the refrigerator.

And in our '03, there are 2 duplex outlets accessible from the outside, behind the OEM fridge panel.  One is only powered off shore (white, I think), the other through the inverter as well (I believe that's the brown one).  BTW the outlet above/for the microwave is on its own 20 amp circuit since the micro is rated at a pretty hefty current draw by itself (around 13-14 amps, IIRC).
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #21
And in our '03, there are 2 duplex outlets accessible from the outside, behind the OEM fridge panel.  One is only powered off shore (white, I think), the other through the inverter as well (I believe that's the brown one).  BTW the outlet above/for the microwave is on its own 20 amp circuit since the micro is rated at a pretty hefty current draw by itself (around 13-14 amps, IIRC).

That may or may not leave enough capacity for the refrigerator.  If not,  that area would be one good location for a power switch in line between the refrigerator and the existing refrigerator outlet.

Is the refrigerator inverter outlet on a separate breaker at the foot of the bed?
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #22
On my 2001 U320 36' ... in the main circuit breaker panel (landline only) circuit #3 powers a 120v duplex (brown) in the refrig compartment.  The Dometic plugged in there.  That circuit also powers the Vacuum, freezer and one leg of the power watch meter.

In the secondary subpanel breaker box (land line or inverter) circuit #1 powers a 120 volt duplex outlet (white as I recall) in the refrigerator bay where the Dometic ice maker plugged in.  That circuit also powers the front TV, DVD player, satellite, the Bose system and the BR 120v outlets.

The Dometic drew 2.7 amps from circuit #3 and 2.5 amps from circuit #1.  The RF197 draws a maximum of 3.9 amps.  Average over time is more like 0.4 amp.  Plenty of room on the landline/inverter powered circuit #1 which has only 9.8 amps on all loads with a 20 amp breaker, 11.2 amps with the Samsung at max rating.

The type of duplex outlets FT uses don't lend themselves to get rewired easily but replacing it with a conventional box would let you pass the 120v through to the other users and use a switched duplex outlet. 

There isn't much room behind the new refrigerator so all things considered a switched outlet behind the kitchen drawers would be easier. It is not something that is going to get switched on and off all the time so the switch could go anywhere convenient.

It might work to get wiring into the space behind the panel over the microwave.  There is exhaust ductwork and a lot of other wires in there as well as the relays that control which lights come on or not when your slide is in or out.

Lots of ways to get this done.  I was a bit short on time to finish this up. Do it right the first time or you have to find time to do it again.

Samsung says there is no on/off switch.

I am hoping my experience is helping everyone down the line with this great upgrade.

Another note... These are exceptionally quiet refrigerators but they are not silent. It is a new very low level back ground noise to get familiar with.