Skip to main content
Topic: RAY-LINE Roof-Mounted Spotlight, Repair of (Read 1342 times) previous topic - next topic

RAY-LINE Roof-Mounted Spotlight, Repair of

Our roof-mounted spotlight hasn't worked since we got the coach, and it finally made it to the top of my "To-Do" list.  It is a RAY-LINE Model 60020, Series 135 SL.  The light didn't light, and it wouldn't move in any direction.  I have the original product booklet in my Owner's Manual, but it's not very helpful.  RAY-LINE is no longer sold as a brand - it was absorbed at some point by the parent company ITT JABSCO.  A Google search turned up a very nice video showing the innards of the light:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT9xpShO__4

Armed with that knowledge, I started poking around.  Had good power (in-line fuse good) to the control switch, but found a loose power wire jumper from on/off switch to the joystick switch.  Fixed that, and could hear the motors running when I moved the joystick.  DW (standing outside) confirmed up and down movement, but no left or right and still no light.  Went up on the roof, removed the sealed beam bulb, bench tested it - burned out.  Ordered a new one from Amazon:

GE 15767 - H9405 Miniature Automotive Light Bulb - Incandescent Bulbs -...

While waiting on bulb, I removed 3 screws holding the light to the the roof.  The light is "hard-wired" and only has about 4" of slack in the cable, so I had to disassemble it in place on the "slippery slope" (GV front cap).  I pulled the rubber gasket off the bottom, exposing the "Left-Right"    motor and gears.  Removing 4 screws from the ring gear allowed me to separate the top case from the support shaft.  I then removed the 4 screws in the top case, and separated it, allowing me access to the "Up-Down" motor and gears.  Since that part was working, I simply cleaned everything up, greased the gears, and reassembled the top case.  I discovered one difference between my unit and the one in the video - mine is missing the spring (in the bottom support shaft) that keeps tension on the "Left-Right" motor and gears.  That may be a feature that was added in later production.  I found the 2 screws holding the brass "Left-Right" motor bracket were backed out slightly, allowing the motor drive gear to lose contact with the ring gear.  Holding the gears in proper position, I tightened the motor bracket mounting screws.  This restored the "Left-Right" movement.  I then greased the gears, and reassembled the bottom shaft and top case.

New bulb arrived, was installed, checked out good.  Replaced the light unit on the roof, and testing confirmed operation 100% restored.  ^.^d

Photos below show the bulb you need, and a shot showing the "Left-Right" brass motor mount and ring gear on my unit.

1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Re: Repair of RAY-LINE Model 60020 - Series 135 SL

Reply #1
Nice write up Chuck. Ours does not work lights but doesn't move am bold enough to take a look at it now, thanks.

Roland
1993 U280 4341
2010 Jeep Liberty
The Pied Pipers

Re: Repair of RAY-LINE Model 60020 - Series 135 SL

Reply #2
Great job Chuck , Ours works so I will file this for when it doesn't ^.^d
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Re: RAY-LINE Roof-Mounted Spotlight, Repair of

Reply #3
Chuck,

Great write-up with how to video and your own step by step instructions.  My spotlight also works up and down but not side to side.  Hopefully I can tighten up the screws in the side to side motor and not have to replace any plastic gears.  You've made it an easy DIY project I believe worthy to be included in Barry Beams incredible website!    Rayline Spotlight not Rotating

Thanks,

Jerry

The selected media item is not currently available.
Jerry and Cindy Maddux
1993 U300/36WTBI DD6v92TA
build 4271  "Miss Lou"
1995 suzuki sidekick 4x4 toad
Gulfport, Ms

"Pride of Ownership"

Reply #4
Jerry,

If my "fix" (snugging up the mounting bracket screws) does not apply to your case, there is another possible remedy.  This was my back-up plan, but I didn't need it.  If you look at my photo of the "right-left" motor, you see the mounting bracket is attached to the motor at the same end as the drive gear.  There is some flex in the mounting bracket.  You can move the "free" end of the motor slightly with your finger, and this changes the clearance between the drive gear and the ring gear.  If your gears are not making good contact, you could glue something like a piece of rigid foam (or perhaps a small block of wood) between the free end of the motor and the wall of the shaft.  If properly sized, this would force a small change in the mounting angle of the motor and cause the drive gear to move closer to the ring gear.

OR, you could remove the motor, bend the mounting tabs on the bracket slightly, and reinstall.  Should accomplish the same thing.

It's kinda hard to describe, but I think you will see what I'm talking about when you get your spotlight "opened up".  Good luck with your project!
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
Thanks Chuck.  Once again you've provided excellent documentation with great pictures.  This gives me incentive to get on the roof and check mine out.  It only has motion in one of the two directions - I have forgotten which works....

Mike & Joanne
'99  U320  40' build 5479
'06 Lexus GX470
Club #17378
(former '93 U225 36')