Skip to main content
Topic: Young Family Customyzation (Read 1998 times) previous topic - next topic

Young Family Customyzation

Hello Travelers,

I have embarked on a mission to transform our U320 from "Drinks for six, Dinner for four, Sleeping for two" into a somewhat more family friendly configuration.

The first step was to remove the lounge chair and desk/table/file-cabinet.

(This makes room for two portable cribs in the near term and two more bucket seats in the long term)

The next step involves a pair of drop down bunks in the closet. Bottom bunk is limited to 47" in length, but the top bunk can be taken out to over 5' with a flat screen instead of the tube TV and a bit of wire cleanup. The closet doors will be replaced with curtains and a complimentary privacy curtain will go between the sink and shower.

(About two hours into it here)

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Chris
Chris 1999 U320

Re: Young Family Customyzation

Reply #1
There ya go. When we had a baby while living/cruising on a 32' sailboat in the tropics I had to do a lot of impromptu changes. First he slept below our bed insert (the one that makes it more of a queen than a normal bed up in the bow). Then I had to convert the starboard bookshelf (and my ham radio cabinet) to a second pilot berth (which also narrowed the settee but, on the plus side, increase storage. Shortly after that we swallowed the anchor and bought a farm.

I can see that you're well on your way to about 15 years of new configurations. :D

Craig
1993 U225 36' Unihome GV with PACBRAKE exhaust retarder, Banks Stinger and Solar Panels.
Toad: 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2-door soft-top.

"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar panels broke."

Reply #2
It's amazing how much you can fit in these coaches.  There were 12 of us when we hosted an "Open Coach" after the Memorial Day service at the Navy Base.  And no one had to sit in the Head!

Keith
Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #3
Years ago we had a 86 , 34' Winnebago Elandan. It had a queen bed in the bedroom, a dinette that converted to a bed, a sofa bed, and a double bed that came down from the ceiling above the drivers passenger seats.
We never had a problem with the two of us and 2 small kids and a MIL that traveled with us often.
GREAT coach!
We always knew we would by another coach someday.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #4
I looked hard at changing the dinning table into a dinette/bunk but that was going to be a ton more work, not easily un-done, and still left the front of the coach off limits when the kids are sleeping...

Chris 1999 U320

Reply #5
I think the dinette bunks is the way to go. You get extra storage under the seats and it is already to sit down with out undoing chairs and put seat belts in and a comfortable way extra people to travel and plus an extra bunk
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #6
The first ( toddler safe) phase of the bunks are complete.

Both kids seem to like being in them...

In and out through the left door with help from mom or dad. Will replace that door with a ladder ( and remove the bars) when they are a bit bigger.

Chris 1999 U320

Reply #7
Very COOL mod!  Eventually they will want a video screen in each bunk...then they will be happy campers!
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #8
Just back from 8 days on the road with the new bunks.

We traveled with 3 adults plus two toddlers and things could not have gone better.

The kids slept very well with the only oddity being that both of them had to go to bed and get up at the same time. At home older brother usually sleeps a bit longer...

The next phase will be adding two more automotive style seats behind the passenger seat. (Stay Tuned).

Chris 1999 U320

Reply #9
We would like to change the dinette table and chairs to a dinette/bunk with storage underneath.
Did you (or anyone else on the forum) try this change over?
Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #10
I never did come back with the updates...

The kids grew enough to enter and exit the bunks so the door and lower safety bars were removed and replaced with a ladder. It clips on and off in a few seconds and works like a charm.

The seat install was a lot more work but also turned out great. The mounts straddle the metal cross members in the floor and are way more solid than the factory driver and passenger seat mounts. I also replaced the drivers seat with the same model. Having four forward facing seats with integral shoulder harnesses is nice. The seats are the 2nd row of the current Toyota Sienna and are very supportive and very comfortable. I don't think we realize how BAD the old seats are to sit on...

Overall the family conversion is a great success.

Chris 1999 U320

Reply #11
I never did come back with the updates...

The kids grew enough to enter and exit the bunks so the door and lower safety bars were removed and replaced with a ladder. It clips on and off in a few seconds and works like a charm.

The seat install was a lot more work but also turned out great. The mounts straddle the metal cross members in the floor and are way more solid than the factory driver and passenger seat mounts. I also replaced the drivers seat with the same model. Having four forward facing seats with integral shoulder harnesses is nice. The seats are the 2nd row of the current Toyota Sienna and are very supportive and very comfortable. I don't think we realize how BAD the old seats are to sit on...

Overall the family conversion is a great success.

Sweet.  Any more details on the seat installs?  Can you post a photo of the captains chair and cockpit area?  How did you mount the seats, did you use the original Foretravel supplied/sourced bases & swivels, or source your own?  Cool idea....
2000 U320 4010

Reply #12
Used the factory swivels and power bases on the driver and navigator seats. The two inline seats use van swivels and custom bases.
Chris 1999 U320