Skip to main content
Topic: Unknown Under Dash Switches (Read 1558 times) previous topic - next topic

Unknown Under Dash Switches

In trying to troubleshoot my camera and monitor, I opened the dash hood.

Sitting to the right of a hinge are two switches on a panel. They are not identified in any way (I could see).

Anyone know what the switches are for, or what they do?

Thanks,

Trent

Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Re: Unknown Under Dash Switches

Reply #1
ABS reset switch
 Trent, these are your Blink switches and lots on search about them.
You look at them then blink thinking out loud "what the h--l are they!!!"
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #2
John,

I did not see them blinking; that would have really freaked me out.  :o 

Just saw them and wondered what they were.

Thanks,

Trent

Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #3
They may be to read the engine (and other) codes. See How to check fault codes?
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #4
They are to read the trouble codes by holding them down and counting the blinks.  usually one set then a space and a second set of blinks.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #5
Yea, one is an off/on and the other a momentary. If you have one of the VMS products, when your Cummins throws a code you can read it there and you can read tranny codes from your Allison panel so the little switches become just an interesting feature I guess. On mine (95) there are several other wires with lights. According to the schematic they are for readings such as engine shutdown and transmission temp. My dash is fully functional so I assume they must be used for some other dash configuration.
jor

Reply #6
My '93 GV does not have the "blink" switches, but does have one mystery light bulb receptacle on the end of a wire that goes ?  The bulb lights up with ignition "ON", but otherwise just sits there and does nothing, glowing in the dark under the dash cover.  Since the bulb is the same one used in the illuminated rocker switches, I just consider it a convenient "spare bulb holder".

If you have never tried it, (with the ignition switch "ON") open up your dash cover when the coach interior is totally dark (like at night, with all the interior lights off).  You might be surprised at what you see!
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #7
On your 93, U280 the one light is probably for the Allison Trans. Codes. There should be a rocker switch up on the front wall of the dash. My 93, U300 has two bulbs and two switches since the Detroit was computer controlled. I don't believe your Cumins had any computer controls so no code lights.
The selected media item is not currently available.Kent Speers
Locust Grove, OK
1993 U300 SSE 40' (Restored at FOT 2009) Build 4323
720 watts Solar
6V92TA DDEC Silver Engine
2014 Subaru Outback

Reply #8
Thanks for the tip, Kent.  I will look (next time I go dash diving) for the switch, but have never noticed it during any of my previous expeditions into the rats nest of wiring.  And no, I am happy to say, we do not have any computer controls.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #9
I have the same 2  switches under my dash pod. They are clearly labeled "Dining Room" and "Cabin" or some other nonsense. One of the switches is a momentary switch and the other is a 2-position switch.

After flipping them each several times and looking for clues, one is to turn on/off the tachometer and the other controls the Cummin's idle speed. Obviously the labels have been changed by a PO or a wiseguy. 
1997 U320 40'  Orlando, FL
"Purple Haze"

Reply #10
I have the same 2  switches under my dash pod. They are clearly labeled "Dining Room" and "Cabin" or some other nonsense. One of the switches is a momentary switch and the other is a 2-position switch.

After flipping them each several times and looking for clues, one is to turn on/off the tachometer and the other controls the Cummin's idle speed. Obviously the labels have been changed by a PO or a wiseguy. 
What coach and model year do you have?
The selected media item is not currently available.Kent Speers
Locust Grove, OK
1993 U300 SSE 40' (Restored at FOT 2009) Build 4323
720 watts Solar
6V92TA DDEC Silver Engine
2014 Subaru Outback

Reply #11
  And no, I am happy to say, we do not have any computer controls.

If you have a touch pad to control the Allison, you do have a computer located on the nose side of the bulkhead. It's mounted up high and can be seen looking in the driver's side nose "door" for lack of a better word. One of the switches may be for any stored codes on a 4 speed or the 6 speed codes may be viewed directly on the touch pad. Here is a lot of info on your transmission as well as how to retrieve the codes: http://www.rvtechstop.com/resources/allsonok.pdf

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #12
Mine is a 1997 U320.
1997 U320 40'  Orlando, FL
"Purple Haze"