Skip to main content
Topic: Grand Villa Steering Wheel Removal (Read 1471 times) previous topic - next topic

Grand Villa Steering Wheel Removal

Perhaps there are other GV owners out there who, like me, have never removed their steering wheel.  I recently removed mine, and took some photos.  Thought they might be of interest.  This is the old school "dumb" steering wheel - all it does is turn the front wheels, and honk the horn.  Those of you with "smart" steering wheels will have to look elsewhere for enlightenment.

I had two reasons for removing the wheel.  First, my stalk-mounted cruise control switch was broken, and I wanted to remove it from the metal stalk so I could repair it.  There was not enough slack in the wire to let me pull it off the stalk, so I figured removing the wheel would allow me to get more slack in the wire.  Second, my steering has developed a intermittent loud and annoying "squeak" when turning the wheel.  It sounded like it is coming from inside the steering column, so I wanted to remove the wheel to investigate.

The steps for removing the wheel are listed below.  Photo numbers correspond to the step numbers.

1.  The Steering Wheel, in all it's glory.

2.  Pry the rubber "horn button" out of the center of the "height adjust lock ring" using a thin screwdriver blade.

3.  Pull the connector on the yellow wire loose from the tab on the bottom of the horn button.  Set the horn button aside.

4.  Remove the nut from the threaded shaft in the center of the "lock ring", then remove the "lock ring".  The yellow wire is attached to a brass strip, which connects to the large spring under the steering wheel hub.

5.  Remove the big nut in the center of the wheel.  Use a steering wheel puller to release the wheel from the splined shaft.  Remove the steering wheel and the black plastic cover piece below it.  Underneath the black plastic cover is a large spring attached to a white plastic disk.  The spring serves two purposes - it pushes up to aid in the extension/retraction movement of the adjustable steering wheel, and it transmits the horn button signal to a rotating brass ring.

6.  Pull up on the top half of the plastic steering column cover, and remove it.

7.  Pull down on the bottom half of the plastic steering column cover, and remove it.

8.  With both cover halves removed, you can look under the white plastic disk to see how the rotating contact plate rides on the brass pin.

9.  Pull up on the big spring and remove it and the white plastic disk.  The brass ring on the underside of the plastic disk rides on the brass pin, transmitting the horn button signal to the wire going to the horn solenoid.

10.  The bare steering hub.  The shaft is supported by a caged ball bearing.  Incorporated into the aluminum casting you will see  the mechanism that allows the wheel to tilt,and just behind it the U-joint that allows the steering column to bend.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Re: Grand Villa Steering Wheel Removal

Reply #1
More photos.

Two shots of the height adjustment device. The black "height adjustment lock ring" is bolted to the small threaded shaft in the middle of the steering column.  The threaded shaft is rotated by the lock ring, clockwise to lock the sliding shaft, and anti-clockwise to release it.  Photos 11 and 12 show shaft slid all the way in, and at full extension.

Photos 13, 14 & 15 show the tilt adjustment locking mechanism.  When you pull the lever on the steering column, you disengage the teeth on the gears, and the column tilts up or down.  Interestingly, on my coach (I assume the same for all GVs), I only get the use of two of the adjustment "notches" out of a full possible range of 7 positions.  Below the bottom set of teeth, there is a curved machined opening.  A black limiter stop is held in this opening by a black bolt.  This piece prevents the wheel from using most of it's tilting range.  I assume this is to keep the steering wheel from hitting the dash board cover over the instrument panel.

The last 3 photos show my repaired cruise control stalk.  It was cracked at the end where it slides on the metal stub.  I simply removed the switch from the metal stub, took the cover off the bottom of the control switch, filled the end of the switch with J-B Weld 2-part epoxy, and put it back together.  After sitting overnight to cure, it functions perfectly and is stronger than new.  8)

Reply #2
OH, by the way, I couldn't see any obvious cause of the "squeaking" noise I am hearing when the steering wheel is turned.  It sounds like a dry rubber seal dragging on the steering shaft, or something like that.  The U-joint at the top of the steering column looks fine - not dry or rusty looking at all.  I didn't have any way to add grease to it - I couldn't even see the zerk fitting.  The ball bearing at the top of the steering shaft looked fine - I added a little fresh grease just for good measure.  I sprayed some WD-40 on the steering shaft where it disappears down the metal tube under the dash, hoping it might run down and lubricate any rubber seal where it passes through the floorboard.  No telling if that will help - I'll see next time we get the coach out.

Reply #3
Chuck,

Excellent write-up as usual.

At least 4 years ago, there was a substitute turn signal/cruise arm available.  My records do not show the manufacturer or PN-- might check with Mike Grimes at Foretravel.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
Chuck--two things to add.
1) Mark wheel & shaft so you get the wheel back to the original position. (I screwed up on this one and it took several tries to get back to center) Make sure you start with the wheel perfectly straight ahead location.
2) Watch how far the steering wheel height is lowered. Too far and the wheel rim will inhibit using the flasher function--or lifting up on the turn signal stalk--resulting in the plastic breaking. (I ended up breaking mine because I had collapsed the wheel too far)

I also used JB Weld. That was about five years ago. My plastic broke in the same place as yours and the JB Weld is still holding strong. Great stuff.
Just be darn sure where your wheel is before lifting up on the stalk or you will get to do the repair all over again!
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #5
Just be darn sure where your wheel is before lifting up on the stalk or you will get to do the repair all over again!
The basic design of the plastic cruise control/turn signal/high beam switch is poorly executed.  The metal mounting stub is too short, and does not extend far enough into the flimsy plastic switch.  Kinda like a knife where the tang of the blade only goes 1" into the handle...it is a very weak junction.  As you point out, it is too easy to exert excessive leverage on the joint, resulting in a fracture at the weakest point (where the tiny roll pin enters the plastic).  In the future, I will heed your advice, and also strive to be more gentle when manipulating this lever.

Reply #6
Chuck, after my initial "slightly above average idiot" mistake and subsequent repair, while on the way to Texas by the way, I didn't want to put any pressure on the repaired joint until sufficiently cured. So I made a habit of always actuating the lever--in whatever needed direction--by grasping the lever close to the steering column. Even today I find myself doing this. It might be the reason my repair has lasted so long. Less leverage on the plastic, which you pointed out as a flimsy, crappy, poorly thought out design destined to fail.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #7
A lot of folks miss the grease fitting located on the bottom end of the column.  You reach it from UNDER the floor outside the coach, very hard to see and reach.
Gary B

Reply #8
Thanks, Gary. I forgot to mention that. I did find mine after sitting under the coach. I was tightening up the bayonet connections on the brake assist motor and looking for holes in the floorboards that let in cold air.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #9
1) Mark wheel & shaft so you get the wheel back to the original position. (I screwed up on this one and it took several tries to get back to center) Make sure you start with the wheel perfectly straight ahead location.
Yes, marking the wheel and shaft before you remove them is important.  Along that same line, there is another piece that should be looked at carefully before you remove the big nut that secures the steering wheel.  Under the big nut there is a steel washer with a tab sticking up beside the big nut.  This tab restricts the movement of the height adjustment locking ring.  It must be replaced in the same spot, in relation to the locking ring, or else the locking ring may not function correctly.  Look at the 3 photos below.  In the 1st photo, the locking ring is turned counter clockwise until it hits the tab.  In this position, the height adjustment is unlocked.  In the 2nd photo, the locking ring is turned clockwise until it hits the tab.  In this position, the height adjustment is locked.  In the 3rd photo, the locking ring is positioned mid-way between locked and unlocked, and the tab is centered in the opening.

When the tab is correctly positioned, the locking ring will move freely between locked and unlocked position, and the yellow wire will not interfere with the movement of the locking ring.  When you reinstall the steering wheel, and replace the steel washer/locating tab and big nut, you might have to make several tries at tightening down the big nut before you get the tab correctly positioned.

Reply #10
One more little thing, then I'll shut up.  If you try to use a steering wheel puller on your "dumb" steering wheel, be sure you find the correct bolts to screw into the tapped holes in the wheel.  My 50-year-old Craftsman puller kit did not have the correct bolts.  The threaded holes almost look like a metric thread, but they're not.  I finally scrounged up the correct bolts out of my voluminous hardware collection.  They look like 1/4" hex-head cap screws, but with a very fine thread.  I don't know exactly what the thread is - when I next go to town I'll get them identified and report back here.

Photos below of the correct size bolt (you'll need 2), and one of them compared to a standard 1/4" hex bolt from the hardware store. 

Reply #11
would they be 1/4  28 tpi (fine thread) ??
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #12
SAE size for 1/4" diameter taps only comes in 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 pitch.
I/4-20 TPI (threads per inch) taps break much easier than most other taps due to the flank area of each thread--total--compared to the drive cross section area of the tap.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #13
Well, my guess of 1/4" cap screw was incorrect - shows how good I am at eyeballing hardware and judging bolt size...

As soon as nitehawk mentioned a tap, I remembered I have a nice Craftsman tap and die set sitting out in my shop.  A few moments trying dies on for size revealed the answer to my question.  The mystery bolt can be threaded by hand into a 5/16-24 NF die with no slop or bind, so that is the correct bolt size for removing the steering wheel with a puller.  See photos below:

Reply #14
Here is a handy hint on how to usually determine the bolt thread size:
Put a wrench on the hex head to determine hex size and then try the following simple equation. It is a SAE standard.
Multiply 3 x the numerator of the fractional size and 2 x the denominator of the fractional diameter you think the bolt is.
Example: 1/4 x 3/2=3/8--the hex size.
                5/16 x 3/2= 15/32--(SAE converted this to 1/2)
                3/8 x 3/2=9/16---the hex size
                1/2 x 3/2=3/4---the hex size
                5/8 x 3/2=15/16---the hex size
              Jumping up to 1" bolt: 1/1 x 3/2=3/2 or 1-1/2 hex size
Bolt head height is usually same as the diameter.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #15
Thanks for the handy tip!  In this case, I used a 1/2" socket on those bolts, and it was a kinda "loose" fit, which exactly agrees with your tip.

And for the thread "pitch" I really need a new gauge - I used to have one but it got misplaced somewhere along the way.  I will add to my Christmas "want list"...perhaps it will show up in my stocking?

Reply #16
I gave away most of my 12 point sockets but keep & buy 6 point sockets instead. Got tired of rounding the heads on stubborn bolts, and 12 point sockets are usually loose, like you found.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #17
SAE thread pitches are quite easily differentiated by eye. And if pitch is in doubt just count the number of threads in 1" length. You would be close enough to actual to get by.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #18
That is what I did with Chucks picture- counted the threads and figured it would be fine thread. I did not know the length of threaded part so it was a close guess and of course due to picture could not verify it was either 1/4 or 5/16" bolt. Just took his word.
JohnH
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold

Reply #20
1/4" bolts are 20 or 28 threads per inch.
 5/16 bolts are 18 or 24 threads per inch (TPI).
Somewhat difficult to eyeball difference from a picture.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #21
Here's another formula to determine the major (outer) diameter of a screw threads (like 10-24, or 8-32) given the screw number:
Take (#) and multiply by .013
Then add .060
Result = diameter in inches

Example (#4-40 screw):  (4 X .013) + .060 = .112" 
  (the 40 in 4-40 is the threads per inch just like the larger fraction sizes)
Seems to be good on wood and sheet-metal screws too.

John Fitzgerald
1991 U300 (SAI) Side Aisle Island Bed 40'
Detroit 6V92 with Allison Retarder
Meridian (Boise), Idaho

Reply #22
That was not my comment actually. Chuck put up a picture of 2 bolts the same size but different thread count. He "thought" it was 1/4" and I did not disagree. What I did was count the threads on each one given approx' same length and knew that it was a fine thread that was the correct one- hence my comment 1/4" -28 NF.
JohnH