Skip to main content
Topic: Kar Kaddy SS Chrome Wheel Failure (Read 517 times) previous topic - next topic

Kar Kaddy SS Chrome Wheel Failure

Our exceptional good luck, since we bought our coach, continues to hold.  We had a wheel fail on our tow dolly, but it could not have happened at a better time.  Must be all those years of living right...

We left Q and went to visit relatives in Ventura, CA.  They have a spot out front of their house where we can park, so we did.  Woke up the first morning after we got there, and I find a flat tire on the tow dolly.  It was OK when we arrived, so it went down overnight.  Got out my jack and tools, removed the wheel, aired it up and used a water hose to check for leaks.  None found...in the tire.  My brother-in-law suggests maybe the valve stem?  Ran water there - it's OK - but we hear air bubbling (loudly) through the water.  FInally discovered the air is leaking from a spot where the center section of the wheel is joined to the rim.  There are welds at the union of the two steel wheel sections on the back side, but the air is coming out the junction on the front side.  HMMMmmmmm...

Called Demco (tow dolly manufacturer), the customer service guy says this is a "known problem" with the Carlisle chrome wheel.  Demco bought the wheels and tires together from Carlisle when they built my dolly (2014).  Don't know if they still use the same supplier...hope not.  Anyway, he referred me to Carlisle customer service - said they'd take care of me.  In case any other Forum member ever has this same problem, here is the contact info:

Ms. Sandra Waters
sandra.waters@carlstargroup.com

I emailed Ms. Waters, and a half hour later she called me!  Said "Sorry you had trouble...blah, blah...how can we help"?  I said a new wheel would be nice.  She says "No problem - we'll ship one out - should take about a week".  This in spite of the fact the wheel/tire was 2 years old and any warrantee long expired.  I said wait until we get home, I'll call you, then you can ship it.  So I guess that is pretty good customer service, and about all I could ask of them in this situation.

I carry a brand new spare wheel and tire that I bought with the dolly.  Same chrome wheel.  I put it on, which gets us back in operating condition.  My brother-in-law knows a shop nearby that "does everything", so we took the wheel over and let them look at it.  They have seen this before.  First we looked in their catalogs for a replacement trailer wheel, but couldn't find anything with the correct "offset".  Then the guy says he could demount the tire, and try to weld the wheel from the inside of the rim.  I figure nothing to loose, so that's the plan.  Waiting this morning to hear if he had any luck.

SO, I just wanted to bring this problem to the attention of the members, especially those who have a Kar Kaddy SS.  I have resisted, up to now, installing tire pressure monitors, but I suppose this particular failure is a perfect argument for their fitment.  If we'd been driving when the wheel failed and lost pressure, it could have been nasty.  I will now think hard about TPMS, especially for the dolly and rear towd wheels.

I'll post again when I hear from the tire shop about their repair attempt.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Re: Kar Kaddy SS Chrome Wheel Failure

Reply #1
I love hearing about good customer service.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #2
Welding repair of the hole in the wheel was seemingly successful.  For $20, it is holding air.  We will use it as our spare wheel on the trip home, then replace it with the new wheel when I receive it.  All problems should be this easy to fix!

Reply #3
Glad to hear you made it to Ventura Chuck. Sorry for the additional issue, but sounds like customer service will take care of it.

There's 14 at the Q now (5 more new ones). Hope to see you here next year!

The "Other" Chuck
AKA Chuck
1993 U280 40' WTB, Build 4345, CUM 8.3 "Falcor", 2002 Jeep GC TOAD, 920W solar on roof
Full-Time traveler between Quartzsite AZ, Longview WA, Helena MT, Ellendale ND, and Lake City SD
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #4
I can see it now a Demco dolly with 4 spare tires mounted on it !

Have a safe trip back home we need all the Texans we can get,

Carter-

Reply #5
Thanks, I'm going to check my welds. I think I may have had a very small leak.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #6
We're leaving Ventura Monday morning (30th) and retrace our route back to Q.  We'll stop over there at the Gathering spot for a night or two, before we head back to TX.  Glad to hear there is still a Forum contingent present...save us a spot!

Reply #7
Chuck, you don't want to travel across the San Fernando Valley on the 101 until after 10AM unless you don't mind gridlock.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #8
Thanx for the tip!  In spite of our best efforts, we hardly ever get on the road before 10AM, so we should be OK.