Skip to main content
Topic: Water Fill Valve Auto Shut-off  (Read 1207 times) previous topic - next topic

Water Fill Valve Auto Shut-off

Another science project for those of you that are interested.

If you have a coach prior to 2002 you may have an electric fill solenoid valve that you get to turn off to stop filling before the water overflows.  You may have a manual valve to do the same thing.  The trouble is remembering to watch the level and turn it off in time before it overflows. 

It has happened to us a few times and it frustrating.  So I found an external tank level sensor that coupled with a basic Bosch relay closes the fill valve when the water level reaches the level of the sensor.  Something like this was added after 2001.  If you have a manual valve the same sensor can be used to turn on an alarm buzzer when the water reaches the sensor level.

If you use two sensors, one set for a low level and another for a higher level you could do some re-plumbing and have the water tank automatically fill between when the low point is reached and stop filling at the upper level. 

You need a sensor ...
LevelGuard SensaLevel Ultraâ„¢ Tank Sensor with Field-Effect sensing

and a Bosch style relay ...
Amazon.com: 5 Pack - EPAuto 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style:...

And a wiring diagram ...  see picture.

I connected the wiring to the fill valve under the sink.  The sensor is stuck to the water tank where I estimated it would be 95% full based on the SeeLevel monitors.  These get to 100% about 2" from the top of the end of tank.

This is another fairly inexpensive project, it took about an hour.  The fill valve closed at 98%.  Pretty much no chance of an overfill again.  The only time any of this is using any power is when the fill valve is open and then almost none.

If you like this see ...

Hot Water Recirculation

Water Pump Timer Automatically Switches Pump Off

Roger