Skip to main content
Topic: Dual Monitors (Read 2711 times) previous topic - next topic

Dual Monitors

What's new,? Separate side and rear camera / monitors. I also have the GPS on the left to look at. Should be fun in LA traffic! Just need to run the in-motion DTV satellite down to an empty input!

Flip of the old select switch, I get tanks or side camera. No longer need to hit reversing button (rear camera and tanks were reversed, side camera is the same)

BTW 10.2 on the screen was because I just turned it on.

Not bad for under $60.00

Cheers
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Re: Dual Monitors

Reply #1
Awesome garage Chris.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #2
Thanks.....Outside

Reply #3
What screens are you using, and how did you mount the one on your dash?  I just pulled the old Javalenia screen out of the dash as part of an ongoing issue I have of tearing everything apart just for the sake of doing it.  It worked fine, but I didn't like the look or the space it took up behind the dash.  Figured if I just tore it out, it would force me to figure out what I was going to replace it with to fill the empty void.  Anyhow, would appreciate any info you can share on the screen and how you interfaced to the Javalenia audit controller.
2000 U320 4010

Reply #4
What screens are you using, and how did you mount the one on your dash?  I just pulled the old Javalenia screen out of the dash as part of an ongoing issue I have of tearing everything apart just for the sake of doing it.  It worked fine, but I didn't like the look or the space it took up behind the dash.  Figured if I just tore it out, it would force me to figure out what I was going to replace it with to fill the empty void.  Anyhow, would appreciate any info you can share on the screen and how you interfaced to the Javalenia audit controller.
Hi
Here is the screen. Have used plenty of these. I just two way taped it to the old screen. If you have taken the old one out, just make a piece of aluminum backing where the old screen was. I am just too lazy to take the old one out.
The second one on top of the dash, is just tucked in under the edge of the drink tray.
Connection is easy. Just cut the end off the old monitor coax, and  butt splice a RCA on the end. Plug it in. Hook the new monitor pos/neg wires to the switch already there.
When you look at the camera or tank gauges, it will be reversed. New monitor has reversing button on it. Just push it to correct picture
I would change out the camera too. They are cheap. It will be clearer, and in color.Cheap as chips

Monitor:

7" TFT LCD Digital Color Screen Monitor Car Rear View Backup Reverse Camera...

Camera:

CMOS Car Rear View Reversing Backup Parking Camera Night Vision Waterproof...

Reply #5
Hi
Here is the screen. Have used plenty of these. I just two way taped it to the old screen. If you have taken the old one out, just make a piece of aluminum backing where the old screen was. I am just too lazy to take the old one out.
The second one on top of the dash, is just tucked in under the edge of the drink tray.
Connection is easy. Just cut the end off the old monitor coax, and  butt splice a RCA on the end. Plug it in. Hook the new monitor pos/neg wires to the switch already there.
When you look at the camera or tank gauges, it will be reversed. New monitor has reversing button on it. Just push it to correct picture
I would change out the camera too. They are cheap. It will be clearer, and in color.Cheap as chips

Monitor:

7" TFT LCD Digital Color Screen Monitor Car Rear View Backup Reverse Camera...

Camera:

CMOS Car Rear View Reversing Backup Parking Camera Night Vision Waterproof...
For less than $50 this is worth a try to replace the B&W screen and marginal camera.
1999 U320 3600
CAI floorplan
Build #5466
M11 - HD4060R
Name ?..  working on that

Reply #6
For less than $50 this is worth a try to replace the B&W screen and marginal camera.

You will be impressed. Do a search for " RV backup camera" it will jump to $500.00+ dollars. Funny how those two simple letters "RV" increase the price.
Same with solar panels too.
Cheers Chris

Reply #7
Just curious how the new camera hooked up? On the monitor you say cut the old coax and but splice a rca on. The Ebay pic doesn't look like the monitor has an rca plug on it
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #8
Chris

Nice shine on those mirrors.    What product do you use ?
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #9
Chris

Nice shine on those mirrors.    What product do you use ?
Thanks,They have been re-chromed.

Reply #10
Just curious how the new camera hooked up? On the monitor you say cut the old coax and but splice a rca on. The Ebay pic doesn't look like the monitor has an rca plug on it

It does. Has 2. One male, one female for the 2 different inputs. The plug pictured on ebay, plugs into another harness included, that also has the power hookup wires also

Reply #11
Does the original cable support the color camera and monitor
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #12
Does the original cable support the color camera and monitor
Yes. Works fine.Actually the FT cable is heavier then most the stuff they use now.
Either buy adapters, or be cheap like me, cut the ends off, and heat shrink/butt slice RCA's on the ends.
Super easy

Reply #13
You will be impressed. Do a search for " RV backup camera" it will jump to $500.00+ dollars. Funny how those two simple letters "RV" increase the price.
Same with solar panels too.
Cheers Chris
Our "less than $50 delivered" back up camera and monitor was many times better than the OEM and in color, especially at night. A little study to bring yourself up to speed lets you make decisions that can save a ton over someone who buys from the same Chinese source but add a thousand percent to the price.

Soldering or buying an adapter will allow excellent video to be sent to the front monitor through the factory coax. Some have even gone to high resolution and a remotely movable camera.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
I have the camera working with the old monitor so far.  It makes the old B&W monitor a lot better but not color, limited field of view or really all that good but I have to do things in small steps.

I was going to pull that plate off the back and mount the camera to it, but that is a total PITA.  Neither my arm or my wife's arm will go up in there well enough to unbolt that plate.  Whoever put that plate in was tiny and a contortionist.

I guess I could cut the hole bigger then make new plate, but I am just no good at fiberglass work.  Not sure how I would seal it back up again.  Not that it was all that sealed up anyway.

Anybody have any tricks for unbolting that plate the camera is mouted on? 

I may just resort to ordering the housing gracerace had in another post and mounting it outside.
1999 U320 3600
CAI floorplan
Build #5466
M11 - HD4060R

Reply #15
I have the camera working with the old monitor so far.  It makes the old B&W monitor a lot better but not color, limited field of view or really all that good but I have to do things in small steps.

I was going to pull that plate off the back and mount the camera to it, but that is a total PITA.  Neither my arm or my wife's arm will go up in there well enough to unbolt that plate.  Whoever put that plate in was tiny and a contortionist.

I guess I could cut the hole bigger then make new plate, but I am just no good at fiberglass work.  Not sure how I would seal it back up again.  Not that it was all that sealed up anyway.

Anybody have any tricks for unbolting that plate the camera is mouted on? 

I may just resort to ordering the housing gracerace had in another post and mounting it outside.
It's a bear. Did my fair share of r&r'in those buggers. I don't think you'll get the angle right in side. best part of having it mounted outside is, you can adjust and re-adjust really easy.

Reply #16
I don't think you'll get the angle right in side. best part of having it mounted outside is, you can adjust and re-adjust really easy.

I can't argue with that.  The camera I have doesn't have an adjustable mount.  Well worth it for $10 but I may try to find another one with some more adjustment built in.  I am cutting wedges out of wood at this point.  My angle is well above where the old camera was pointed already. 

Kind of amazing how much better the $10 camera is than the one it replaced even on the old cruddy B&W monitor. 
1999 U320 3600
CAI floorplan
Build #5466
M11 - HD4060R

Reply #17
I can't argue with that.  The camera I have doesn't have an adjustable mount.  Well worth it for $10 but I may try to find another one with some more adjustment built in.  I am cutting wedges out of wood at this point.  My angle is well above where the old camera was pointed already. 

Kind of amazing how much better the $10 camera is than the one it replaced even on the old cruddy B&W monitor.

Put the word RV in front of it, and it's now $300.00!
This is the style I use. You can find these for under $20.00
Not saying buy this one, don't know the vendor.
I would get rid of the old monitor. You can get these with a 7" monitor & camera for $30.00. Just velcro it over the old monitor.

Night Vision Backup Rear view Parking Kit Camera for Car Bus Truck RV IR...

Check Amazon also

DON"T use wireless, they work awful, trust me

Reply #18
Gracerace, So if I replace the camera and the monitor I will get a color back view and the tank levels with the flick of the switch just like the stock black and white screen. I realize the tank level screen will still be black and white. I only want 1monitor.......  but just curious how did you split the feeds to 2 monitors???
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas

Reply #19
I would get ride of the old monitor. You can get these with a 7" monitor & camera for $30.00. Just velcro it over the old monitor.

Digging into the dash looks interesting.  I figured I would start on the easy end.  I have no idea how to get into that dash deep enough to get to the back of that monitor.  More reading to come on that one.
1999 U320 3600
CAI floorplan
Build #5466
M11 - HD4060R

Reply #20
Mattschilds, was the camera hard to wire in on the back of the coach??.
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas

Reply #21
Matt. The top of the dash is on two hinges. One over the instruments and a center section. Just lift firmly from the edge nearest the living area. Removing the monitor is tricky, but not difficult. I removed my monitor and held the flat screen with a bowed piece of steel from the back. Do not cut the dash! I am traveling and will post a picture when I get back.
1998 36' U295 Mechanical 8.3

Reply #22
Just found the pictures. The first is looking down from the top showing the bowed steel retainer. If you look you can see the single bolt holding the color monitor. Shim the bolt to adjust the tension. Total expenditures for camera and monitor $28.50.
1998 36' U295 Mechanical 8.3

Reply #23
Mattschilds, was the camera hard to wire in on the back of the coach??.
No, you are going to need a RCA cable to sacrifice.  Over the bed there is a cover, and another cover past that one.  Open it up and you can see the existing camera.  If its like mine the connector to the camera will just pull off.

On mine the cable going to the camera was done the same way you need to do the new one just substitute the RCA cable and the new camera's power cord.  That part took less than an hour including finding the RCA cable.
There was some pretty nasty black dust in that area.  I spent some time with a damp cloth cleaning it up.
I am going to get some rubber gasket material to try and seal it up a bit better.
1999 U320 3600
CAI floorplan
Build #5466
M11 - HD4060R

Reply #24
If you look you can see the single bolt holding the color monitor. Shim the bolt to adjust the tension.
I never would have thought about mounting it that way. 

On removing the monitor, I can't seem to find a way behind it to remove the cables by just lifting the dash piece up.  Did you just unbolt it and pull it out to gain access to the cables?
1999 U320 3600
CAI floorplan
Build #5466
M11 - HD4060R