Skip to main content
Topic: Both Right Rear Air Bags Leaking (Read 2656 times) previous topic - next topic

Both Right Rear Air Bags Leaking

OK, I give. I had been to the HWH tech school when I was a FT tech.
I have read all the manuals including the tech manual again. I have read everything on here through search. I understand the leveling system. But maybe I don't. I slept since then!
This one has me scratching my head So before I throw parts at my 1997 U295 HWH 600 air system, lets see what you have to say.We are loosing about 1 1/2" a day, only in the right rear air bags equally.
In auto, it takes care of itself, but it also wakes me up when it dumps, and is using too much DC when the compressor has to run more then normal.
At this point, I have the 2 lines to the Ride Height valve unhooked and capped. I have also been over the system including soaking both bags several times with soapy water. There are no external leaks. Air drop is within range of the coach spec's.
What am I missing? I have a few idea's., but don't want to guess.
Have a call into HWH, but not guaranteed they are going to call me any time soon. Short handed I was told.This is one of the best reason's for this sight. Help, pretty much 24/7.
Cheers, and thanks in advance for your input
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Re: Both Right Rear Air Bags Leaking

Reply #1
I'm not expert on this, but could it be the six pack?
Chappell & Mary
36' 2004 Foretravel U270 build #6273

Reply #2
I'm not expert on this, but could it be the six pack?

I would also look at the rear six pack, especially RR dump solenoid.  At minimum, replace the o-rings on the solenoid valves (posts on forum Wiki with sizes you can buy at a hardware store How to operate the leveling System [ForeForums Foretravel Motorcoach Wiki]  scroll down to "Ultimate Guides to the HWH Sixpack ).  Even better, if you have the luxury, get a rebuild kit from Tom of the Newell Gurus site which will contain o-rings, plungers, and springs.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #3
Spray the six packs with soapy water from an aerosol bottle (old windex bottle). Soak it down front and back. If you are leaking there you should see something. Be sure to look down in-between the solenoids for bubbles. BTW: air up completely before testing.

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #4
Spray the six packs with soapy water from an aerosol bottle (old windex bottle). Soak it down front and back. If you are leaking there you should see something. Be sure to look down in-between the solenoids for bubbles. BTW: air up completely before testing.

see ya
ken
Thanks. Have done that a bunch of times, just like you suggest. I pride myself on finding leaks.Don't mean to brag, but when I was  a FT tech, They gave me all the air leaks. Customers would come and thank me, telling me they had been to other FT stores, and they couldn't find the leak.
If they are leaking, it is internal. I know the coach is due for a 6 pack rebuild, I was just trying to zero in on which valve it may be, by someone else's experience. I have a hunch which one it is.
I did get a call back from HWH tonight. They took all my info, and said they will call back. But not today.I will go easy on them,because I love Iowa folk. I was born in Des Moines, and lived in Nevada Iowa till I was 5. Family still lives there.
Just glad I am not sitting on the side of the road, waiting for them to return my call!
Cheers

Reply #5
Can you take the 6 pack out of the equation, and air up everything downstream of the 6 pack to the rr?
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #6
Can you take the 6 pack out of the equation, and air up everything downstream of the 6 pack to the rr?
I was thinking of that....

Reply #7
I made a pressure tester that I can attach at different points and pressurize different items and then watch the gauge on the tester to look for leaks. You can pressurize the individual bags and check for leakdown. I have a picture of it but not on this pc. If you would like I could take a picture of it and post it if you think it would be helpful.

Mark
The selected media item is not currently available.
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #8
I made a pressure tester that I can attach at different points and pressurize different items and then watch the gauge on the tester to look for leaks. You can pressurize the individual bags and check for leakdown. I have a picture of it but not on this pc. If you would like I could take a picture of it and post it if you think it would be helpful.

Mark
Thanks. Great idea. I have all the stuff to make one on hand.
Chris

Reply #9
Chris:
I had a similar problem and finally found a knick in the air line going to the right rear bags. It was a small knick but could feel it when rubbing your hand over the line.  Replaced the air line which eliminated the problem.  Just another possibility which you have probably checked.

Jerrett
Jason
1999 U320 36'

Reply #10
We're going to OTM for airbag replacement in January. I've asked them to also check and fix whatever other air leaks they can find.

Reply #11
I also put together a thing to help isolate where the leak is coming from.  In this case one end to the air bags and the other to the six pack. pump the air up and cut the valve off.  Sorry I could not get the photo to post
Chappell & Mary
36' 2004 Foretravel U270 build #6273

Reply #12

Mark
Professional!

Reply #13
UPDATE
The front air pressure protection valve for the rear tank is leaking bad. I didn't spray the exhaust hole before, so I missed it. I also didn't hear it, because I was rockin' to the stereo! Have two on order. I installed a piece of straight pipe to by pass till I get it. Don't worry,. not going to drive it.
I checked the #'s on my valve,. They are N15759 DG 70 056K MB. Nothing comes up. It is a G, I can see it clearly, but I found a cross reference to N15759 DC 70 056K MB. I also found just #'s N15759 here are 3 that can work with the same specs:
Haldex KN31000
Excel PR4 ( PT# EM36850)
Mac 20QE2128
Anywhere from $11.95 to $29.00 online + the ride
We will see what the RR back bags do overnight
Pictures at 11 O'Clock news!

Reply #14
UPDATE
The front air pressure protection valve for the rear tank is leaking bad. I didn't spray the exhaust hole before, so I missed it. I also didn't hear it, because I was rockin' to the stereo! Have two on order. I installed a piece of straight pipe to by pass till I get it. Don't worry,. not going to drive it.
I checked the #'s on my valve,. They are N15759 DG 70 056K MB. Nothing comes up. It is a G, I can see it clearly, but I found a cross reference to N15759 DC 70 056K MB. I also found just #'s N15759 here are 3 that can work with the same specs:
Haldex KN31000
Excel PR4 ( PT# EM36850)
Mac 20QE2128
Anywhere from $21.00 to $48.00 online
We will see what the RR back bags do overnight
Pictures at 11 O'Clock news!
MOT have them, for about $38 ea. They ship the same day you order.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #15
MOT have them, for about $38 ea. They ship the same day you order.

Thanks. I don't buy anything from FT, unless I have to. Wait 2 days to get a returned phone call to order ,then it's double the price. I don't mind paying someone, but there is never any tech support either.
I don't mean to bad mouth them, I like them. But friendship is friendship, business is business. Enough said.

Two off Ebay, $11.95 each $4.95 shipping.Delivered in 3 days $28.33.

PRESSURE PROTECTION VALVE - 1/4" NPT - REPLACES KN31000 9054107 | eBay

Reply #16
Thanks. I don't buy anything from FT, unless I have to. Wait 2 days to get a returned phone call to order ,then it's double the price. I don't mind paying someone, but there is never any tech support either.
I don't mean to bad mouth them, I like them. But friendship is friendship, business is business. Enough said.

Two off Ebay, $11.95 each $4.95 shipping.Delivered in 3 days $28.33.

PRESSURE PROTECTION VALVE - 1/4" NPT - REPLACES KN31000 9054107 | eBay

MOT is Motorhomes of Texas, not affiliated  with Foretravel of Texas, good service, reasonable prices.
What is the pressure on the $12 valve?  Don't think I would go no-name on a protection valve.
Jim C.

Reply #17
MOT is Motorhomes of Texas, not affiliated  with Foretravel of Texas, good service, reasonable prices.
What is the pressure on the $12 valve?  Don't think I would go no-name on a protection valve.

Thanks for your input
I am sure they are good people. Original equipment part $29.95 free shipping. get in 3 days

KN31000 Pressure Protection Valve - Closes @ 45 PSI - Opens @ 65 PSI 1/4"...

The one I ordered is same specs. as factory one. 65/55 psi....They are all imports, regards of name

Here is the manufacture of the part. Far from 'No Name":

World American | Where Quality Meets Value!

Reply #18
Thanks for your input
I am sure they are good people. Original equipment part $29.95 free shipping. get in 3 days

KN31000 Pressure Protection Valve - Closes @ 45 PSI - Opens @ 65 PSI 1/4"...

The one I ordered is same specs. as factory one. 65/55 psi....They are all imports, regards of name.

Here is the manufacture of the part. Far from 'No Name":

World American | Where Quality Meets Value!

You are right, could be made anywhere. The one MOT sells is the Meritor Wabco N-15759DC which was OEM for Foretravel.
Jim C.

Reply #19
Chris,

When I bought our coach, the protection valve still had the paper tag with the Meritor WABCO part number: 9348990060.

Mark
Mark Duckworth
2003 U320 4220
Build 6199, Motorcade 17971

Reply #20
Chris,

When I bought our coach, the protection valve still had the paper tag with the Meritor WABCO part number: 9348990060.

Mark

Thanks..

Reply #21
UPDATE to the Update:
With the air leak fixed, we are at 35 psi loss in 24hrs. FT is happy with 60! With the DOT you are fine at 120 PSI loss in 24 hrs.Works out to 1.5 PSI loss in 1 hr. FT is happy with 7 PSI in 2 hours. There is one small leak next to where I will be installing the new protection valve when I get it.Easier to fix then. real small leak.
It stayed level in the rr within 24 hrs. So I hooked up the RR Right Height valve again. If you have been following this, I had both lines capped off at the valve. So now the coach raises 1/4" every 1/2 hour.
I made a shut off valve, and installed it inline at each air bag, one at a time. Coach still raised same amount on it's own . I had a new ride height valve, so I threw one at it. Still raises 1/4" every 1/2 hour.
My theory is, that one of the solenoids in the rear 6 pack, is leaking back internally, probably the travel solenoid.
When I had the air leak before, the coach would drop this same amount. But now with the air leak fixed, it raises. The air loss is slight on the needles. But that makes sense, because the air is filling the RR bags to raise the coach.
Hope I get my call from HWH tomorrow. This is crazy.Like I said, have a few idea's, but don't want to start throwing parts at it.If it ain't broke, don't fix it.Just want to fix the one simple issue.
Cheers Chris

Reply #22
BTW, that number is no good anymore. Here is the new part # 90555396
HALDEX PRESSURE PROTECTION VALVE 65 PSI 90555396
Funny, looks just like the $12.00 one I bought!
Cheers

Reply #23
So I hooked up the RR Right Height valve again. If you have been following this, I had both lines capped off at the valve. So now the coach raises 1/4" every 1/2 hour.
I made a shut off valve, and installed it inline at each air bag, one at a time. Coach still raised same amount on it's own . I had a new ride height valve, so I threw one at it. Still raises 1/4" every 1/2 hour.
My theory is, that one of the solenoids in the rear 6 pack, is leaking back internally, probably the travel solenoid.
When I had the air leak before, the coach would drop this same amount. But now with the air leak fixed, it raises.

Hope I get my call from HWH tomorrow. This is crazy.Like I said, have a few idea's, but don't want to start throwing parts at it.If it ain't broke, don't fix it.Just want to fix the one simple issue.

Chris,

Years ago we had a situation of a front Raise solenoid valve leaking through.  We went through 2 shops and phone calls to HWH who diagnosed it as first, a bad level sensor and then second (after that didn't fix the problem), the brain.

Thanks to the forum here, before we routed ourselves to HWH it was correctly diagnosed as an internal solenoid valve leak.  We replaced the valve and all was well.  Steve took the old one apart and found debris (teflon tape!) on the valve seat.

Our leveling system problem

HWH Leveling Valve
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #24
Chris,

Years ago we had a situation of a front Raise solenoid valve leaking through.  We went through 2 shops and phone calls to HWH who diagnosed it as first, a bad level sensor and then second (after that didn't fix the problem), the brain.

Thanks to the forum here, before we routed ourselves to HWH it was correctly diagnosed as an internal solenoid valve leak.  We replaced the valve and all was well.  Steve took the old one apart and found debris (teflon tape!) on the valve seat.

Our leveling system problem

HWH Leveling Valve

Thanks. pretty much what I think it is. Strange that both RR solenoids would leak the same.Also strange that taking the ride height valve out of the realm, stopped it. But all things are possible with electronics..
Raised 1 1/2"'s overnight in the RR, exactly what it did in reverse, before I fixed the leak. But that makes sense to me. Air drop was 2 PSI hr overnight . But that is because it's going into the bags.
For me, it's not just about fixing it, it's understanding why it's doing it.
Thanks again for your valuable input. I post so much here, so others will have a record of the fix.
Chris