Skip to main content
Topic: Windshield Do I have to go to NAC? (Read 1800 times) previous topic - next topic

Windshield Do I have to go to NAC?

A rock chip is no chip anymore :-( It started a line that is about 3 inches long now.
Ours is 2003 Grand Villa. It has a bigger windshield than the pre 2000 Grand Villas. If it was the Bus style, I would imagine I can go to any place but, I wonder I can get it done in Dallas & Fort Worth, TX area. Anyone know any place or had any experience?
Thank you,
AL
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
Former 94 GV U225

Re: Windshield Do I have to go to NAC?

Reply #1
Sounds like a rock chip immediate fix with a windshield repair kit may have kept the pit from being a line that keeps on giving. Good idea to carry the kit.

Reply #2
This is a good place to start, they might refer you to a place in your area.  RV & Bus windshield distributor Eugene Oregon, Best Price Auto Glass Products
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #3
Lots of old posts about replacing the windshield. Any good auto glass shop should be able to order and replace. The windshields are not all from the same manufacturer and may not fit exactly the same. The GV front cap is not very stable and can cause the windshield to move around or even crack. Check the wood at the front of the dash as better described in older posts.

Our windshields move around a bit so I wait for a warm day and force them back an inch or so into a better position. I was going to glue it in position but we are always "off road" and the front cap really protests with lots of creaks and groans so I don't want to crack it. You might want to get a new rubber gasket as well. I always make a slow transition from paved road to a dirt or gravel side road if there is much of an elevation change between roads. Gives the windshield time to move without cracking.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
  Check with your insurance company, I had both sides of my windshield done in my driveway. I told my ins. people that I was extremely reluctant to drive to a location and could I have the work done at home. No problem, I gave them the details of the glass and a little over a week later an auto glass outfit came and installed both sides. After 4+ yrs no leaks no runs no errors  ^.^d
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.

Reply #5
Lots of old posts about replacing the windshield. Any good auto glass shop should be able to order and replace. The windshields are not all from the same manufacturer and may not fit exactly the same. The GV front cap is not very stable and can cause the windshield to move around or even crack. Check the wood at the front of the dash as better described in older posts.

Our windshields move around a bit so I wait for a warm day and force them back an inch or so into a better position. I was going to glue it in position but we are always "off road" and the front cap really protests with lots of creaks and groans so I don't want to crack it. You might want to get a new rubber gasket as well. I always make a slow transition from paved road to a dirt or gravel side road if there is much of an elevation change between roads. Gives the windshield time to move without cracking.

Pierce

For sure new gasket. I am not 100% sure but our 03GV front cap I think is build a bit different than our previous 94 GV. I think there is some steal and/or fiberglass is involved I don't think there is wood. Last year I had FT do fix "band aid" few chips at the time they had advised to wait to see if we get a run before replacing the whole windshield. What they fixed is working. Yesterday coming back from Cummins Fort Worth, TX (oil change)  took a nasty rock and immediately run for 2-3 inches.  I am not sure be a good idea  to drive to Nacogdoches (220 mil) with that run in the windshield. I might tape/glue do something and still go to NAC. I just want to see if i can get it done close to home first. I am also checking with my insurance.

Thank you,
Alp
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #6
Murphy's law:  If you get it replaced the new one will attract a rock and another repair needed; let it go and it doesn't attract another rock.  At least that is my experience, been driving now for about 3 years with a crack in the curved part of the passenger windshield.  Maybe I am not driving enough.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #7
I used Auto Glass Center  recommended by insurance company (Foremost).  Glass was orderd and shipped to them.  They do mobile install and or familiar with Motor Homes.
Located at 10333 Garland Rd, Dallas 75218.  Phone 800-560-9005

Larry Bradley
Larry Bradley
SOB
former 1998 U270
Build 5251
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reply #8
Dallas Fort Worth folks please check this thread for me and let me know if you know what you know. Thank you, AL
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #9
Sooo just got back from Nacogdoches. Foretravel (Thank God) removed and installed two new Windshields
I was there last Monday during the first 2-3 hours, when they started to remove the windshields.
First, I am glad I did not attempt this elsewhere. If I can help it I never want to have to do this again therefore I am researching protection. Like smartphone screen protection. I found EXOSHIELD  I think made in Canada. There is a installer/dealer close to us (just emailed them, they are closed on Mondays) They maybe only doing this for cars and may not have enough space and a scaffold to be able to install on our RV.

Anyone have such experience, with a windshield protection clear film? I had 3M Crystalline installed on our previous FT, but that was from inside. It was fantastic but this time, I need something from outside. Previous (OEM) windshields survived for 14 years, but the last rock chip was bad and it run immediately for a 15" crack, there was no time to apply a rock chip fix.  I want to find something to protect the new ones, so, knock on wood don't have to do it again, especially if it happens when out of (TX) state trip. I could not trust this work on our FT to anyone but the factory.
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #10
Had one half of mine done at a shop in Corpus Christi,after getting a crack in Alaska,shop did a good job,like the saying goes,
it's not rocket science,their putting glass in a gasket.

Checked out Exoshield site looks like the cost would be $1000 plus if they even do coaches.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #11
Sooo just got back from Nacogdoches. Foretravel (Thank God) removed and installed two new Windshields
I was there last Monday
I rolled into Camp Foretravel on the 8th Al, were you still there?  I would have stopped to say hi. I thought I saw a GV in your colors.
Ed and Michele
2000 U295  36'  (Build #5600)
8.3 ISC 350HP.
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad)
2001 Lance Truck Camper (Sold)
2001 Lazy Daze (Class C). RK Floor Plan (Sold)

Reply #12
Ed, are you still here?
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #13
Yes, not rocket science. An experienced glass person can install on anything. I did a left side install on our 4107. Just not a big deal but did take a little time as it was my first really big windshield. Glass was $110 out of Mexico.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
Remove, clean, prep, apply adhesive, install gasket, sit the windshield and strap it for 24 hours. "not rocket science" correct but also every FT is not created equal :-) at least not 100% like mine is driven by me, and she is snazzy :-)
I am glad I was able to get it done at FT.
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #15
Hi there! Anyone know where I can get the "windshield treatment" (plywood repair/grab handles) in the Chicago/northwest Indiana area? Glass is good, just won't stay in place.I tried Master Tech Rv in Ft. Wayne and was not satisfied?... I need to get down to NAC but fear driving 950 miles with the glass out of wack.

1995 Grand Villa U300 40'
Glenn & Lyla
1995 U300 40'
Motorcade 18287

Reply #16
This may sound far fetched but I'd contact JR. At JC Refridgeration in Shipshawana. He is well connected in his Amish community and can probably refer you.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains