Skip to main content
Topic: Roof Coating (Read 2207 times) previous topic - next topic

Roof Coating

Has anyone here ever tried using the Sta-Kool Roof Coating or the Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating  on their RV roof?  What recommendations do you have?
John M.

STA-KOOL
Gardner® Sta-Kool® – Gardner Coatings

DICOR
Fiberglass RV Roof Coating | Dicor ProductsDicor Products

John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Re: Roof Coating

Reply #1
I've used neither so other than saying that Dicor makes some good products no opinion.  Reading the surface prep required for the Dicor stuff, extensive preparation required.  I also wonder about coverage under installed components such as air conditioners etc? 

Given the amount of preparation required, and the fact that "when it's done, it's done" and it's yours to live with,  you might consider having the roof gelcoated again with the same material as original.  This can be done with the same effort as the Dicor if it's rolled on.  It will have a slight texture if it's rolled rather than sprayed.  Given proper prep it's a 20 year coat, hard, matching gloss surface. 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #2
John,

What is wrong with the fiberglass on your roof?  With all the inspections I do, it is very rare to see a roof that needs more than a good scrubbing and perhaps a little work if they used the black non-skid square at the ladder.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
I was told that I had a roof problem by Xtreme and made appointment for FT.  I had no leaks but it still caused a lot of anxiety.
Made appointment at FT and expected the worse based on what I was told by Xtreme. However. after a extensive inspection by the factory, I was told nothing wrong with the roof. A real surprise. Thank you Brett Wolfe for your expertise.
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #4
What did they say the problem was?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #5
Roof delamination
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #6
Watch out for itinerant painters that show up in campgrounds and offer a free inspection. My neighbor had them inspect his roof prior to cleaning and they said he had cracks that needed to be sealed and suggested a whole new coating after cleaning. $450.00 for a 36 footer. I went up on his roof and looked around, no cracks, sealed well around the ACs, etc. Yes, it needed a cleaning, but nothing else. I went to the owner of the park and he threw them out.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #7
Brett,
Their isn't anything wrong with the roof. I was leaning more on the Dicor.  But as Chuck said it require a lot of prep work.  I was going to give it a good cleaning and buffing and waxing, but then I'm worried that it may be too slippery when I go on top.  I want to feel safe when I am up there.  The roof gets a beating with the sun and I just want to protect it the best way possible.
John M.

John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #8
Brett,
Their isn't anything wrong with the roof. I was leaning more on the Dicor.  But as Chuck said it require a lot of prep work.  I was going to give it a good cleaning and buffing and waxing, but then I'm worried that it may be too slippery when I go on top.  I want to feel safe when I am up there.  The roof gets a beating with the sun and I just want to protect it the best way possible.
John M.

I used the Sta-Cool on an old bus conversion roof. Took many coats and looked good from a distance, but not so good close up. But was a big improvement in heat reflection over original painted aluminum.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #9
You may check with Xtreme or FT for roof paint. I had it done and very happy with the result. I had it done because I did not want to get the white chalk in the future like our previous 94 FT.
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #10
John
About two years ago we had ours painted at extreme.  I had a large crack between the skylght and the air conditioner as well as some hairline cracks radiating from some of the self drilling screws.  I also had them remove my satelite dish as well as the black anti skid pad by the ladder.  While at it i also had them replace AC gaskets.  We had them use the anti skid glass paint.  Roof still looks great and no white streeks.  The cost was about  3 coach bucks.  At this point in my life I try to keep my feet on the ground when taking on projects, working on roofs can be life changing, stay safe.

Jason
Jason
1999 U320 36'

Reply #11
John, this is the product Extreme applied to our roof over 3 1/2 years ago and it looks as good as the day it was done.  When I removed the old satellite dome I ordered a gallon from the manufacture, great customer service.
Gary Mauck
Deerfield Beach, Fl.
2005 U320 40' PBGB

"Elks Care, Elks Share!"

Reply #12
+1 for my Xtreme roof paint job
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #13
If you want an estimate on the cost, check with RV Fog Dr. In Searcy, Arkansas. Might be some what less.
The selected media item is not currently available.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup
Motorcader  17257

Reply #15
For the roof, we only believe in one-part paint (with UV) that contains some small abrasive for non-slip.  Paint is easy to clean & maintain. Paint instead of gelcoat is also much easier to keep clean and it does not streak sides of coach.  All the other 'roof' coatings whether roller applied or sprayed would never be used by us.  Insulation value of everything is nil, even though some marketing promotes 'insulating' as a reason to use a product.

Reply #16
Barry, what paint product do you suggest? How about Awl-Grip like on boat decks?
Alan & Gerri Ortiz
1996 U295 36 ft.
"Rocinante"
Hartwell, Georgia
1999 Subaru Forester
Build No. 4957 Motorcader 17399

Reply #17
This is what I used on my U280 .  Interlux Brightside Polyurethane Marine Paint
Pedal to the metal

Sold 1990 U280 36' Build 3630

Reply #18
Last time I was at Xtreme I had them inspect my roof. The recommendation was to go over it yearly and search for any hairline cracks and fill them with Dicor self leveling caulk.  other than that, just keep it clean. $7 for a tube of Dicor or 3CB for paint. your choice.
Rick and Wendy Green
1998 U270 3600 The Coach Formerly known as Princess
Build# 5336
2007 Ford Explorer

Reply #19
my roof paint at Extreme was $1,300 - must have gone up!  3 CB?

Tim Fiedler

Sure Start Soft Start

TCER Direct generator-gas-prod 630 240-9139
Gen-Pro
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #20
Alan, When we painted our coach, we also had the roof painted.  Xtreme used their same paint (Glazerit) used for sides, but they mix it as one-part (meaning no separate clear coat) and then added fine granuals for non slip.  We considered rolled on coating, but found it not as easy to clean, and Cindy is up there every few months cleaning solar and roof.

Reply #21
I am very happy with the "BUS KOTE" I used this past summer, Very easy to apply. Cleaned roof, applied primer on first day. Put two coats of paint next day, Applied one coat clear coat the next day. No special skills or equipment needed
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont
Lady Lake, Fl,  Independence, VA
Former owner of 2002 U320, 2003 U320, 2005 U270

Reply #22
I'm off topic here, but Foretravel did ours a year ago for $1,200.

Xtreme fixed my soft spot under the ladder/skid-proof area a couple of years ago. Rance did the surgery. Enough said. Paul
Paul & Kathleen
1995 U320c SE 40'
Build 4681 --Cummins M11 /17511
"That Irish Girl"
Red MINI " 40"

Reply #23
...Cindy is up there every few months cleaning solar and roof.
You may think Barry is kidding when he says this, but I actually witnessed Cindy cleaning their panels and roof recently, when we were at Q.

Barry is VERY fortunate to have such a energetic and multi talented crew member!  ^.^d
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #24
Thanks Chuck, didn't know you saw me up there. 

Found that if the roof is clean, the sides will stay cleaner.  And it is nice to catch roof problems like cable ties & seals before they become a problem.  Found a small spider with a big web yesterday, but he is no longer.  And it's nice to remove any bird droppings, too. 

I always used an 8' ladder bungeed to the coach to not rely on coach ladder and do most of the climb.  After we rebuilt & lightened our rear engine door so it hinges up, the lower part of the coach ladder was removed, but the 8' ladder still takes care of reaching the top part of the coach ladder.  We are fortunate that our 8' ladder fits in our Joey Bed.

I clean the roof more often than every few months, sometimes every few weeks, depends how the dirt has accumulated.

After Quartzsite, we made it to San Diego beaches after a short stop in Yuma Foothills. 

Safe travels,
Cindy