Skip to main content
Topic: Whats This? convert existing Dometic/Norcold to a residential style?? (Read 4732 times) previous topic - next topic

Whats This? convert existing Dometic/Norcold to a residential style??

Just ran across this for converting an absorption  Domestic or Norcold to a residential compressor driven fridge?
Products | JC Refrigeration

Very interesting...
'02 40' U320t  4010WTFS Build 6036 1 slide
Motorcade # 17841
SKP 151920
Retired truck driver
 5 million miler
Still have itchy feet for travel

Re: Whats This? convert existing Dometic/Norcold to a residential style??

Reply #1
I just read that also. Frozen ice cream? Hmmm

Reply #2
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  We just got off the phone with them!!!  They are in the final stages of manufacturing the compressor cooling unit for a Dometic RM 7832; all the testing has been completed and it works beautifully, they said. 

We are ecstatic to announce that we are on the books to get it installed on May 16th, and will be one of the first to try out this new system!!!!!!!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

The appointment is tentative on them getting it finished, but they are fairly certain they will be ready to install.  We said that we'd be much happier with a little delay over installing a new absorption cooling unit!    b^.^d  b^.^d  b^.^d  b^.^d  b^.^d
The selected media item is not currently available.Amanda and Douglas
Lily *meow* (and B.T. r.i.p. 9/12/18)
1997 U320 40' - "Brawley"
Motorcade #17266
Escapee #113692

Reply #3
I'll be watching this with interest, it sounds good. I wonder if they will do a Dometic Dnr1282
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #4
Very interesting indeed.  We had our cooling unit replaced last Labor Day with the traditional Amish Cooling Unit.  Working great so far and hope to have many years of full timing with this unit.  If it ever fails, this new unit would be something to consider if they have one for my RM2862.

Progress, isn't it great?          ^.^d
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #5
I'll be watching this with interest, it sounds good. I wonder if they will do a Dometic Dnr1282
I would give them a call...I see a ndr-1292 listed
Motorcade # 17841
SKP 151920
Retired truck driver
 5 million miler

Reply #6
Very interesting indeed.  We had our cooling unit replaced last Labor Day with the traditional Amish Cooling Unit.  Working great so far and hope to have many years of full timing with this unit.  If it ever fails, this new unit would be something to consider if they have one for my RM2862.

Progress, isn't it great?          ^.^d
yup 2862 is listed...
Motorcade # 17841
SKP 151920
Retired truck driver
 5 million miler

Reply #7
Siren was your freezer compressor dead?  Or is this for the refer side?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #8
Siren, very interesting.
We will also be at JC Refrigeration May16 having our cooling unit replaced.
Dick & Sue
'99 U320, 36'
2015 F150 4x4 Supercrew
M & G with brakeaway system
Blue Ox Avail 10,000# tow bar
Grosse Ile, Mi.

Reply #9
Sounds very interesting and could be a nice option depending on price to convert.
But I wonder what their statement "It pulls less than 1 Amp" actually means in real world usage.
Siren, would you mind telling us what the cost and process involved once you're done?  IOW do they pull out the fridge and install the new compressor inside your coach?  Or does it have to be taken outside?
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #10
Sounds very interesting and could be a nice option depending on price to convert.
But I wonder what their statement "It pulls less than 1 Amp" actually means in real world usage.
Siren, would you mind telling us what the cost and process involved once you're done?  IOW do they pull out the fridge and install the new compressor inside your coach?  Or does it have to be taken outside?

They do everything from inside.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #11
This appears to be a 120v only conversion.  1 amp at 120v is 120 watts.  Our Samsung 19 cu ft refrigerator has averaged 74.6 watts per hour.  Peak loads are 135 watts or 1.125 amps.  The conversion is a much smaller cooling unit.

At 12 volts (nominal) the inverter will use about 10 amps plus some for inefficiency plus whatever it takes to just operate the inverter (which for older inverters may be several more amps).

This is a good application for a small (4-500 watts), very efficient inverter.

Reply #12
There are also marine style conversions that some have used.  These are typically high efficiency, and 12 volt is available.  The dometic box looks to be well insulated compared to most domestic refrigerators, so a pretty good candidate for retrofit.
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #13
So what are we looking at in rough dollars to convert?

Thanks,
Len
Len and Deb Speiser
1999 U270 36'
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
You're either on the bus, or you're off the bus!--Ken Kesey
If you're lucky enough to live in a bus, you're lucky enough!

Reply #14
I read $900 plus install.. $300..

That's what I read on another forum

Reply #15
This seems like the right thread to share our great service from JC Refrigeration. 

I traveled to Shipshewanna in October to have a new Amish cooling unit installed. I enjoying the area and JR and his team did a great job. I returned home and put the coach in storage, indoors and plugged in.

We headed out for a month in February. A few days after arriving in Ft Desoto the fridge warmed up, freezer stayed cold.  I spent some time on the phone with JR troubleshooting. We tested a few things but saw no improvement.

JR dispatched a brand new cooling unit and a shipshewanna trained tech to my campsite., arriving 3 days after our first call.  Knowing we were on vacation the tech came out the day he received the unit. He was booked for days but came after hours, arriving around 7:00PM. He stayed until 2:00AM, after he made sure my fridge was cold. He also called the next day to make sure everything was working.

JR was truly apologetic. He said it's a rare occurrence but once in a great while a bad one gets out of the factory. He paid for everything and extended my warranty before I had a chance to ask.

They stood behind their product and in my case went above and beyond to address my situation right away. We are happy customers and give them two thumbs up. 
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #16
I believe that's about $400 more than the standard cooling unit. I think we paid $600 plus $200 for installation. This included one exhaust fan and an ARP install... I provided the ARP.

This new unit seems like a good value. No cabinet work needed.

The standard warranty on a new residential or dometic is 12 months. I have 5 years on Amish unit, 2 years standard and I paid a bit more for 3 more years.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #17
If one is interested in the popular 10 cu ft Whirlpool-style fridge from Lowe's, price is around $400.
Fits in a 2' x 5' space without cabinet changes.
Serving us well for last 6 years, even with a couple of weeks of Quartzsite Lemon Gathering desert camping and full-timing all year.
Home Depot has it on sale for $300
https://goo.gl/ZWeMhz

Reply #18
Had Keith Davis At MOT change mine to full size Samsung .  Best money ever spent.
Do not waste money on dometic.
Dan & Shirley Stansel
2002 U295 4020 AGDS Build#6054
Towing Buick Enclave & M &  G Braking
Emerald Bay, Lake Palestine, Texas
MC# 16650

Reply #19
I also have the one from Home Depot. If you need a small unit this one is great.
Michael j
Livermore, Ca for now

1987  Grand Villa 2900 Rear Bath Front 460 Gas Engine.

Reply #20
This is what a "game changer" looks like me thinks.
If this had been available last year I might not have went to the Samsung replacing our Dometic 1492

And copied from another source... a response from the mfg ..about a "fitment & electrical draw/usage" question..

"Good evening, I will try to answer all your questions, yes your 1210 is replaceable with our Hvac unit, and all your electronics such as board, ice maker etc. stay the same, all your doing is changing the cooling system, the reason you need at least a 1000W is it takes 8A in a split second to kick it then it drops down to less than 1A.........

As far as clearance, this unit is not as deep as your existing unit, your compressor is the deepest but that is mounted to where it will be in the side vent and therefore your unit can be all the way back against the wall and still fit.......... believe me that has all been worked out

Thanks for asking JR"

http://jc-refrigeration.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/New-Unit_wiring-from-top.png 
Motorcade # 17841
SKP 151920
Retired truck driver
 5 million miler

Reply #21
I've seen many of these in boats, an standard liquid cool plate with in this case 120v compressor instead of 12 or 24 volts. I would like to know what refrigerant they are using and the design parameters, curious about energy requirements during high ambient conditions.
2001 U320 40' IF$ Build #5798
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
2015 GMC Duramax HD2500 Toad
2014 Polaris RZR 1000
Litchfield Park, AZ- Soon to be Paulden, AZ

Reply #22
I've seen many of these in boats, an standard liquid cool plate with in this case 120v compressor instead of 12 or 24 volts. I would like to know what refrigerant they are using and the design parameters, curious about energy requirements during high ambient conditions.
Yup, with "less than 1 amp draw" after initial startup, gotta be a small compressor, but it may just have to run longer to achieve the needed cooling..
 No idea at this time how this will do in 110+ deg heat..
I'm not smart enough to know if this would be comparable to an absorption fridge electrical usage. during 110+ deg heat...
Motorcade # 17841
SKP 151920
Retired truck driver
 5 million miler

Reply #23
I don't see this conversion as a comparable replacement for a modern residential refrigerator.  Yes, it uses a conventional compressor/freon system that will probably cool better, not be as sensitive to being perfectly level, be safer than the ammonia system, etc.  If those are the main concerns then this might be a good choice. 

The extra interior space and, more importantly, the automatic defrosting of a new refrigerator are a huge benefit that would not be gained by this conversion.  Before replacing my Dometic with a Samsung, breaking ice or defrosting the freezer cooling unit might be required as often as a couple times per week, and the internal fridge fins maybe once per week.  A major hassle.  Adding internal fans helped but didn't eliminate that issue. Maybe other model Dometics or Norcold are better at defrosting than mine was? Now, it's a total non-issue. 

My Dometic also already had a separate, dedicated freon compressor system for the icemaker.  I wonder if they'd combine the 2 cooling circuits or run both compressors?

To me, losing the flexibility of propane without gaining the full benefits of residential would not be a good investment.

Reply #24
I'm with bdale.
10 amps is a LOT of juice unless you are ALWAYS plugged-in somewhere.
The lack of a propane fridge could be a drawback when one tries to sell their coach.
It would be a deal breaker for me.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid