Skip to main content

Topic: Foretravel U320 38' vs Wanderlodge M380 (Read 940 times) previous topic - next topic

Foretravel U320 38' vs Wanderlodge M380
There was some discussion of Foretravel vs. Wanderlodge about 5 years ago.  I am looking for advice and thoughts comparing the Foretravel U320 38' vs. Wanderlodge M380 from similar vintages (early to mid 2000's).  Advantages, disadvantages,...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Foretravel U320 38' vs Wanderlodge M380
Reply #1
Disadvantage is the weight. Where Foretravel put in the Detroit 6V-92TA, Wanderlodges had to install the 8 cylinder versions back in the 1990's. They sure have a lot of fans. Our bulkhead/belly construction with the stupid Roloks is probably the...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Think most of the M380's had the ISL 400 hp 1200 ft/lbs torque engine while the 320 had the ISM 450 hp 1450 ft/lbs torque engine. Weight was pretty close. Just my opinion, but think the M380 was Bluebirds attempt to get into the lower price...

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
The M380 was unique among Bluebirds (M450 was similar at 45 feet).

M380 has a ISL.
The M380s have had a long run of head gasket problems that destroys the head at #6 position. Expensive and left people stranded upon failure. Some caught it early...

• Kurt
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
in addition to the engine difference, I don't think the Wanderlodge had a tag.  We had a 38' 320 (as others do on here) and it is a wonderful and great driving coach.  We just needed more room for the family. 

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
in addition to the engine difference, I don't think the Wanderlodge had a tag.  We had a 38' 320 (as others do on here) and it is a wonderful and great driving coach.  We just needed more room for...

Reply #6
Too much heat for the ISX at 650HP.  It's a more reliable engine at lower HP. Possible head gasket problem that limited coolant circulation and caused valve seats to come loose and drop down causing valve failure and destroying the engine, most...

Reply #7
A metal body has severe temp issues either hot or cold.  Plus hail is a worry.

Round roof costs interior space

Reply #8
A metal body has severe temp issues either hot or cold.  Plus hail is a worry.
Round roof costs interior space
A round roof does cost a little interior space but not much.

Our ex-Greyhound had a...

Reply #9
I have read these forums for years and benefitted from Brett Wolfs knowledge about motorhomes in general.  I have never owned a Foretravel so I cannot  speak with credibility to their quality personally.  It is however common knowledge they are...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Biggest issue, as mentioned above, is that a 'Bird is a LOT heavier than a Foretravel. Couple that with the drop-down hydraulic jacks for leveling and you can see why some 'Bird owners have made some big impressions in places. 'Birds are also...

Reply #11
The roll over law suits  were the school bus issue.  7 year bus replacement schedule for school use.

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12

Reply #13
My guru buddy sold birds with me in 1989.  If you own one you need bill.