Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel hose letdown (Read 2408 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel hose letdown

Well, the previous owner said the fuel hoses were replaced, and yes they were. But since we purchased her, the smell of diesel has permeated the bays. Now I am particulary sensitive to that smell, and don't much like it. Thought it was from a diesel spill maybe, or a loose connection. Was getting ready to pull the tank anyway since the smell is pretty strong. Took a look at the hose today and found that it is a Gates Plant master hose, 19b. Made in Mexico. Here is what the web site has to say about application....
Air and water applications requiring maximum flexibility in any industry,
 including mining, construction, agriculture, vehicle repair and in-plant operations.
 Outstanding resistance to heat and ozone. Suitable for light agricultural spraying,
such as dilute solutions of herbicides

and this
Manufacturer: Gates
Specification No. 3219AR
Recommended for: Applications requiring a premium grade braided hose, with
 excellent flexibility and maximum resistance to air, water, petroleum oils, gasoline,
kerosene and fuel oil (to 120°F) and lubricating oils (to 212°F). Excellent weather and
 ozone resistance. NOTE: Not recommended for constant contact with fuels.

So the  good thing is.... I found out why my bay smells like diesel fuel so strongly.
The bad... I have to spend some cash to fix this now instead of down the road.
Now I don't know who put this hose in, but it just goes to show you that you can't be to careful on checking things out. If something doesn't look or feel right investigate. This hose will fail at some point and it could be catastrophic. Just one more thing on this coach that I am finding out was not done right. Live and learn.
So the question is what hose?
I have read through the various posts on the forum about this topic. I know what size and how long (I think ) I need to order. Not sure if my fittings are resuable or not. Will have to pull them and see.  My plan is to pull the tank out the passanger side, and already in the process of that. Door is off, will pull the hinges and flanges out tomorrow. will use a come along to pull it hooked up to my jeep bumper. Once out. The tank is pretty much empty, maybe 4 gallons total so now is the time. Don't have any need to use the coach for a while...
What would be good is a size of each hose I will need.
Also the difference between parker crimp on vs field attachable fittings for diesel fuel, if anyone knows from actual use would be appreciated.

Photo attached.
Thanks
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Re: Fuel hose letdown

Reply #1
Ay caramba.  Air hose.  Sheesh.  Gotta go.

The tank should be pretty light seeing as it's empty, don't think a come a long will be necessary.  I'd recommend reaching out to John44, he's very familiar with all the suppliers in your area.  I'd locate a hose supplier locally and work with their recommendations.  South Tx. Hose comes to mind. 

One thing you might consider is whether or not you want to retain your stock primary filter.  I installed a Davco in the engine compartment and have been very impressed with it.  Makes filter changes super easy, visual monitoring of the large filter, and eliminates prime hassles as you just fill it up with diesel through the top access port.  Now would be the time to install since it requires fuel line extension. 

In the grand scheme of things not that big a deal, there's always going to be a few zingers with any new coach.  A couple of members here have done the fuel line swap in just a few hours of concerted effort.  Fuel line cost is minimal and chances are your fittings are reusable.  Your supplier can advise you on this.

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #2
Doing it yourself, remember not to twist, kink or stretch the new hose as this will weaken it.  It was not too hard to adhere to this, often I would just have to slow down and re position pulling or pushing the hose thru the basement.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #3
Here is my post again. size and length included

Fuel lines
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #4
Ay caramba.  Air hose.  Sheesh.  Gotta go.

The tank should be pretty light seeing as it's empty, don't think a come a long will be necessary.  I'd recommend reaching out to John44, he's very familiar with all the suppliers in your area.  I'd locate a hose supplier locally and work with their recommendations.  South Tx. Hose comes to mind. 

One thing you might consider is whether or not you want to retain your stock primary filter.  I installed a Davco in the engine compartment and have been very impressed with it.  Makes filter changes super easy, visual monitoring of the large filter, and eliminates prime hassles as you just fill it up with diesel through the top access port.  Now would be the time to install since it requires fuel line extension. 

In the grand scheme of things not that big a deal, there's always going to be a few zingers with any new coach.  A couple of members here have done the fuel line swap in just a few hours of concerted effort.  Fuel line cost is minimal and chances are your fittings are reusable.  Your supplier can advise you on this.

Thanks Chuck. I will talk to John (David) as he is just a short drive away and has always been helpful when it comes to this baby. Hell, he's the reason we bought her when we did...

Craneman, that hose size you posted, that is Internal diameter, correct?
Thanks,
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #5
This type fuel clamp seals nicely all the way around without chewing into the hose. The edges have a radius so they don't cut into the hose as they tighten. Made domestically also by Dorman as I recall. If the hose is the correct size, they don't leak, let air into the system or damage the hose. Available in different sizes.

Fuel Line Clamp

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #6
Yes inside diameter. I reused the original fittings by using a heat gun to warm the new hose then they just push on. Haven't had any leaks since.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #7
Would try and find out from Mr. Rich where/who put that in and let the populace know.There's a couple of places in town that
will have the hose and fittings,will call tomorrow or you call me.I have a trailer that the tank would fit on.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #8
Thanks everyone for your input, as usual greatly appreciated!
Tank is out. Took me most of the morning. Would not have been able to do it without a harbor freight come along for 20 bucks, well worth it. The main engine line is 3/4 inch. The rest of different sizes. The engine return line looks good, is proper hose for fuel. the rest all need replacement. The vent had a hose attached to it I think. So hot out I had to come inside or suffer dehydration.... a south Texas frequent worry. Will go out again when the sun goes on the other side of the house. The fuel bay is dirty and smells very strongly of diesel. Will start the clean up today and tomorrow. Get new lines on Monday. Either locally, or via the net.
Trident has good A1 coast guard approved fuel lines and a good  price online. I might go that route. Most of the fittings were push on with bad clamps and only one. I like 2. The others were crimped on with a threaded connection.
Hardest part was getting the door and molding off. Did that last night.
Next week will start the switch of hose. I am not sure of the amounts though.  Craneman's numbers seem high to me.But without pulling them out and measuring them, hard to say. But on this installation, they used to much hose. Really to much. So I might be able to save some bucks by shortening it a bit.
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #9
The vent did have a hose on mine and it is actually a tip-over valve to plug the vent incase of turn over. It looks like you left the drain plug in by the marks on the bottom of the bay. I pulled mine out before removing as it let me get a little more fuel out of the tank. I have some leftover hose for the 1/2" and 5/8' but not much. I didn't want to come up short and have to put in a union.

Reply #10
With tank drain above floor, seems to me that removing plug though floor hole will let some fuel drain onto top of floor as it 'splashes' out of tank to a pan on the ground. So we have never opened our fuel tank drain plug.

Reply #11
Hopefully the caulking around all penetrations through the basement and along the seams at the bottom of the partitions is in good shape. I don't want to be the bearer of possible bad news, but if diesel has leaked into the rigid styrofoam insulation below, it will turn into a blue melty looking mass. Also, if the trapped diesel can't evaporate out, it will continue to smell. Hopefully, your insulation is still okay and it was all laying on the surface. If not, here is a picture of what happened to ours and was the reason I ended up removing the entire basement bottom skin when repairing our bulkhead. I replaced the styrofoam with foil backed rigid polyurethane foam board which, according to my test, is resistant to diesel.
Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #12
Gonna' have to look into this...my hoses were replaced by PO, not sure who did it, but hoses look distictively familiar. Will have to read markings....I have diesel smell in basesment and too, and can't stand it either. Seems to waft up, especially into linen cabinet over toilet. Our bath towels absorb the odor 😟.

Thanks to all the forum members ho make this forum the treasure trove it is!

Sorry you're having this trouble!
1996 36' U295 Build #4879 Motorcade #18088
2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4 FMCA #F474816
Foretravel Mid-South
There's no happy like Foretravel happy!

Reply #13
I have been working on replacing the engine fuel hoses on my coach.  I have replaced the return line and the old hose appeared to be in good shape.  Foretravel used Eaton Aeroquip FC350 hose on my coach, #8 for supply and #6 for return.  The stuff is expensive, but it has lasted 23 years. The end fittings are reusable if you can get them off the old hose with out breaking them.  On my coach it may be easier to remove the 67 gal propane tank in order to get to the tank connection, but first I have to burn up about 25 gal of propane.  Maybe wait for winter and use the furnace.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #14
Hopefully the caulking around all penetrations through the basement and along the seams at the bottom of the partitions is in good shape. I don't want to be the bearer of possible bad news, but if diesel has leaked into the rigid styrofoam insulation below, it will turn into a blue melty looking mass. Also, if the trapped diesel can't evaporate out, it will continue to smell. Hopefully, your insulation is still okay and it was all laying on the surface. If not, here is a picture of what happened to ours and was the reason I ended up removing the entire basement bottom skin when repairing our bulkhead. I replaced the styrofoam with foil backed rigid polyurethane foam board which, according to my test, is resistant to diesel.
Don

Don the basement on this coach was replaced in the last few years, although maybe not the best job. The drain did rip some of the top coat off and maybe a little bit of diesel might have gotten in. I rinsed the bay out with a combo of washing soda dissolved in hot water, ammonia and vinegar.

Coachman, my hose to the M11 is 3/4 inch. Must be at least 50 feet of it, it goes back halfway to the engine. Not sure why its 3/4 ".
The aqua hot is only 1/4 inch. and the generator is 3/8 to the pump then 5/16th to the engine. The fitting on the tank is not 3/4" so there would be a restriction there, not sure why its that large of a hose.
I didn't raise the coach before I pulled the tank and now think that was a mistake. while I shouldn't have to get under it much, for the generator  I will, and to connect the engine from the filter as well. I plan on pulling the hose thru from the engine to the tank.
The return line from the engine is the original hose it looks like. I will replace  that as well, as its stiff as a board. Will be hard to pull that out.
Its the little stuff that frustrates you on these things though. Taking down the cover that covers the hose and wiring in the joey bed bay, one side no problem, the other, a fastener unlike any I have seen. Can't figure out how to get them off with the tools I have, and I have a lot. Plus lying on your back is no fun at all.
 I am thinking of using Trident A1 marine hose for both the generator and aqua hot. I will try to get a good price on a gates or parker hose locally on monday.  Will let you know part numbers and pricing when I get it. John44 said he would come help out when this is done, so offer accepted gratefully. Might be a week or two though. Wish I had raised the coach and blocked it before I took out the tank. To late now.  Don't think it will be a huge issue though.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #15
Gonna' have to look into this...my hoses were replaced by PO, not sure who did it, but hoses look distictively familiar. Will have to read markings....I have diesel smell in basesment and too, and can't stand it either. Seems to waft up, especially into linen cabinet over toilet. Our bath towels absorb the odor 😟.

Thanks to all the forum members ho make this forum the treasure trove it is!

Sorry you're having this trouble!

Thanks. Yes get the numbers off the hose and google it.  Never know what you might find.
This forum is one of the reasons I went with Foretravel instead of a older Prevost or Country Coach.  Although the Prevost community is very good as well.  Treasure trove it is, the best kind, knowledge !
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #16
Can you connect an air compressor to the fitting in the basement to air up your coach then block it?
Probably would need to build a double male fitting.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #17
Bob,
You should be able to raise the coach by using an external air compressor hooked up to the service air, which should be feeding the wet tank, which will then add air to both the front and rear air tanks. I have done this by making a double male adapter to connect the external air compressor to the service air. I included an air pressure gauge on the home made adapter to keep an eye on the air pressure. Also good to include a ball valve to control the inflow, though not many non-industrial shop compressors will equal the volume at pressure of the engine mounted compressor.
Don
Edit: foliver beat me to the punch!
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #18
Did mine about 4 years ago and used the Trident hose. It turned out well and is doing fine.  I posted my experience under first step, second step and third step.  Each step has its difficulties and it sure is a learning experience. 

Jerrett
Jason
1999 U320 36'

Reply #19
You should raise the coach, makes it much easier to work under it and then block it up. I have found that it is easier to pull the hose from the tank to the engine. I have tried both ways and found pulling from the engine to tank to be very difficult. I have changed fuel lines on numerous coaches.
previous 1984 35 ft ORED 250 HP 3208 Cat       
previous 1998 40 ft U295 CAI 325 hp Cummins
previous 2003 40 Ft u320 build #6140 450 Cummins M11.                                                         
1999 Mazda Miata
Ron, Nancy, Tipper the cat, Max The dog
1997 U 270 36 ft build number 5174 8.3 Cummins

Reply #20
Agree with Ron that is the way I did it.

Reply #21
Does anyone know the fuel lines that Bern'd uses for replacement? I know he does not use the proper clamps.Just the cheap hose clamps as the return line at my engine pulled apart due to a broken hose clamp. Leaking fuel all over the engine before I was told by a car that I had problems. Ended up dumping 1/4 tank of fuel. When I called Bern'd and told him about it; all I got was I know the correct clamps to use.
I highly recommend any forum members that have had Bern'd do the fuel lines, to check the return line clamps in engine compartment.
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #22
Picture of my new fuel line that Bern'd replaced.
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #23
Clamp that failed on right and the correct clamps for fuel return line.
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #24
Yep, this is what I was afraid of hearing...gotta' check this out ASAP.
1996 36' U295 Build #4879 Motorcade #18088
2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4 FMCA #F474816
Foretravel Mid-South
There's no happy like Foretravel happy!