Skip to main content
Topic: lithium batteries- drop in  (Read 3157 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: lithium batteries- drop in

Reply #50
Supercaps, are THE up and Coming Tech, I have been following!  This was 2 years ago, but once they get rolling, I might do this in maybe ALL my power needs, Home, and Motorhome!  An Electric Foretravel, anyone? :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8JIC-ov_Y

BTW, I knew that Elon Musk was Primarily interested in this Tech, in his Grad Studies.  He may apply his "Power Wall" in a Supercap Flavor some day.....we can only hope?

It might take another 100yrs for the price to come down.. So it is affordable.

Reply #51
Supercaps, are THE up and Coming Tech, I have been following!  This was 2 years ago, but once they get rolling, I might do this in maybe ALL my power needs, Home, and Motorhome!  An Electric Foretravel, anyone? :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8JIC-ov_Y

BTW, I knew that Elon Musk was Primarily interested in this Tech, in his Grad Studies.  He may apply his "Power Wall" in a Supercap Flavor some day.....we can only hope?

I want one!  That video was in '16, so I wonder where they are at now with this new technology?  What a boon for those of us who love to boondock!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #52
Supercaps have a low amount of Watt-Hours. E.g. Ten watt hours. BUT, they pack a wallop in instant power. E.g. 2000Amps.

I did not buy one because of the price, but I may eventually buy one to start the engine faster in cold weather.
1997 U270 34FT Build 5140 Cummins 8.3 Allison 3060R
Solar 1920Watts, 14KWH lithium. Orion BMS.

Reply #53
Supercaps have a low amount of Watt-Hours. E.g. Ten watt hours. BUT, they pack a wallop in instant power. E.g. 2000Amps.

I did not buy one because of the price, but I may eventually buy one to start the engine faster in cold weather.

Listening to him though, they feel they will replace batteries?  Possible, it's a Let's wait and see, I guess?  They have that so called "Proprietary" method to Slowly release those Amps, he "Says"?
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #54
Elon has built a fantastic vision, and a incredible house of cards, don't think it will last much longer.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #55
Elon has built a fantastic vision, and a incredible house of cards, don't think it will last much longer.

OK, that being said, he just seems to reinvent himself, over and over!  Admirable in any measure, check out what I just found, on the Super-Caps, and Possible Acquisition of Maxwell Technologies!  This might be a real Game Changer....can you say, chuck the Diesel Tank, On- Board Generator, and Diesel Engine, and have it all?  Maybe Keep a Small Diesel Tank, and Larger KWH Genny, for an even longer range? Check this out! Interesting if true!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8wdeqS3UlU
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #56
If it happens, and is what they claim it is, it would be THE Stock to buy, ASAP!  Wow!
Tom & Barb Root

Reply #57
And, for a Real-True, Pie-in-the-Sky, a Tesla TOAD, that not only has Regen Braking, But Regen Mode while being Towed 4 Down! Hmmmmm All good, huh? 4000+ Watts on the Roof,  And Imbedded in the 'Glass Gel, on Both sides of the Coach, in full sun would give Great Boondocking capability, as well!  Hey, one can dream....Tesla sure can, and does bring Excitement, to our Technological world, without a doubt! 
Tom & Barb Root

Reply #58
Odd, but I tend to dream at night.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #59
I recommend 20KWH of batteries for our rigs. I did the math.

This is about the power of a Nissan Leaf G1 battery pack.

1997 U270 34FT Build 5140 Cummins 8.3 Allison 3060R
Solar 1920Watts, 14KWH lithium. Orion BMS.

Reply #60
I did the math on this and put in 3 new 8d agm's.  I feel alright with my choice ;) We aren't prolific boondockers though and I don't mind the inefficient charging using my little $150 sportsman generator that gets 10 hours on a soda can's worth of gasoline.  That said if the Prosine 2.5 fails near end of battery life I'd make the upgrade.  For any of those considering anything other than LiFePO4 I wouldn't.  People who make the DIY powerwalls out of old laptop batteries (incredibly economical!) sometimes have fires.  If I made such a thing I would build it in its own structure.

Reply #61
I did the math on this and put in 3 new 8d agm's.  I feel alright with my choice ;) We aren't prolific boondockers though and I don't mind the inefficient charging using my little $150 sportsman generator that gets 10 hours on a soda can's worth of gasoline.  That said if the Prosine 2.5 fails near end of battery life I'd make the upgrade.  For any of those considering anything other than LiFePO4 I wouldn't.  People who make the DIY powerwalls out of old laptop batteries (incredibly economical!) sometimes have fires.  If I made such a thing I would build it in its own structure.
A lot of different chemistry's. Make sure you know what your talking about before you claim fires.. Any documents showing a LIFEPO4 fire?

Reply #62
Agree with you, appears all the big names in rv lithium batteries, are using LIFEPO4 now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOqQp2Xjr6U
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #63
A lot of different chemistry's. Make sure you know what your talking about before you claim fires.. Any documents showing a LIFEPO4 fire?

Re-read - I was speaking of daring to use other chemistries ;)  Most of the people doing DIY powerwalls are using recycled 18650 cells using one of the other more volatile chemistries.  If you use lifepo4 you could probably make it work with the xantrex charger and some careful attention.

Reply #64
Victron charger .. victron controller .. dropped in the batteries and all I do is check the voltage.. but it's a waste of time for me. Batteries have bms and solar. Honestly have done nothing but use them.. so far it's been great . Sorry for the misread .. lifepo4 is the safest way to go.. that I know of. Not sure on the other chemistry