Skip to main content
Topic: Entry Door "opensezame" NOT (Read 1229 times) previous topic - next topic

Entry Door "opensezame" NOT

We're leaving  tomorrow for Yellowstone via Lake Wallowa OR, Hells Canyon, Stanley ID. Sawtooth Mountains and Jackson WY. And probably a bunch of stuff in between. Here's my dilemma, the entry way door doesn't want to open.

I just came back from the mechanic, pulled into the driveway, the wife comes out tries to open the door, it won't open. I'm on the inside, the slide for the door lock is in the unlock position so that's not the issue. I get the door open while thinking I'm going to break the handle off. I take the door panel off, not sure what I'm looking at but nothing looks broken. I loosened the cable that goes to the top of the door and that seemed to work for most of the day.

Pulled the coach forward a couple feet to connect the toad, (then disconnect) then backed it up to same spot. Now door wont open without pulling hard on the handle. I messed with the striker (large bolt that always catches my shirt) on the side of the door frame that helped a little. It opens for now but still something not right!

I did notice on top of the door there's a wedged shaped tab (for lack of a better word) that was slightly bent up. I think that's what the cable connects to inside the door. I did not get a hammer and try to straighten it because at that point the door was opening (somewhat).

The door had been working great up until today,  has anyone had this problem? Fix?

Thanks Again in advance
PS. We're still leaving even if we have to crawl through the windows!
Eric, Mary and Carl the jack russel terrorist
1997 U320, #5143, w/450 hp, 6.9 on the richter scale
Sammie the toad
Live Free or Die

Re: Entry Door "opensezame" NOT

Reply #1
That bolt you are talking about has been mentioned before. It is supposed to float. If it gets moved by a shirt or something you need to center it with the door.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Thanks Craneman,
The bolt/striker was tight and hadn't moved. Once I got it loosened I did however adjust it several times looking for the best position.  I might try that again tomorrow
Sammie the toad
Live Free or Die

Reply #3
I also have a similar issue.  Mine will sometimes bind when air levelers are  being used.  If I air up with engine running, the lock will not bind, and open.

Knowing this, I now always check if lock Is binding before leaving on air leveling.

This happens ingrequently, so now I will keep a log.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #4
Thanks Craneman,
The bolt/striker was tight and hadn't moved. Once I got it loosened I did however adjust it several times looking for the best position.  I might try that again tomorrow

My bolt/striker floats.

Reply #5
I also have a similar issue.  Mine will sometimes bind when air levelers are  being used.  If I air up with engine running, the lock will not bind, and open.

Knowing this, I now always check if lock Is binding before leaving on air leveling.

This happens ingrequently, so now I will keep a log.
Thanks Jack, it's definitely not the lock as I was on the inside the first time we had the issue and moved the lock several times thinking that was the problem. It still opened hard in the unlock position.

TM my striker moves only horizontal, so I'm guessing it only changes how tight the door shuts against the frame. There's no up and down play.
Sammie the toad
Live Free or Die

Reply #6
Our shoulder bolt "floats" too. I would always catch my shirt or jacket on it, and it had a sharp point that would occasionally cut my arm. I removed it and filed down the sharp edge, then made the mistake of tightening it too much. After getting it to "float" again, we have not had any problems.

I think that the movement in that bolt is to accommodate slight flexing in that area of the coach as it moves down the road, and levels.

I might be wrong, but it worked for me.

Len
Len and Deb Speiser
1999 U270 36'
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
You're either on the bus, or you're off the bus!--Ken Kesey
If you're lucky enough to live in a bus, you're lucky enough!

Reply #7
Regarding the "wedge" at the top of the door:  That is for keeping the door open and the cable is connected to the inside (black) handle, requiring it to  be pulled in order to release the wedge.  Hope I'm making the right reference and not stating the obvious.
I also had a problem with the door not opening from the outside (OK from inside) and traced the problem to the mechanism in the frame.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #8
 So we're all on the same page get a number two Phillips screwdriver and simulate closing the latch assembly on the door with the door opened  stand outside with the door open so you're able to swing it back-and-forth to gain access to the inside and outside then try opening from inside and outside and see if the mechanism releases  this will tell you whether the door lock assembly is actually working or it's getting hung up someplace else
John Patrick
2002 U270

Reply #9
Regarding the "wedge" at the top of the door:  That is for keeping the door open and the cable is connected to the inside (black) handle, requiring it to  be pulled in order to release the wedge.  Hope I'm making the right reference and not stating the obvious.
I also had a problem with the door not opening from the outside (OK from inside) and traced the problem to the mechanism in the frame.
Thanks Sven, that's what I thought I'll probably straighten that out. It is bent up(?)
So we're all on the same page get a number two Phillips screwdriver and simulate closing the latch assembly on the door with the door opened  stand outside with the door open so you're able to swing it back-and-forth to gain access to the inside and outside then try opening from inside and outside and see if the mechanism releases  this will tell you whether the door lock assembly is actually working
or it's getting hung up someplace else
John, that was the first thing I did. the latch closes with minimal pressure and opens from both the inside and outside handles when the door is open with ease.

Thanks everyone, the door seems to be working okay this morning. We're taking off as soon as I connect the toad, if worse comes to worse we can always stand on the outside wishing we were inside!
Sammie the toad
Live Free or Die

Reply #10
Thanks Sven, that's what I thought I'll probably straighten that out. It is bent up(?)John, that was the first thing I did. the latch closes with minimal pressure and opens from both the inside and outside handles when the door is open with ease.

Thanks everyone, the door seems to be working okay this morning. We're taking off as soon as I connect the toad, if worse comes to worse we can always stand on the outside wishing we were inside!

Take a ladder  ^.^d ... its not the fall that gets you... its the sudden stop that makes the pain!! ^.^d  :))

Easier for the wife to get out and try the door from the outside if you have a ladder for her  >:D

Reply #11
Hello Mobius,
  I just recently had the same thing happen on my coach after it was serviced. The tech was not instructed on how to close the door from the service advisor. I had instructed him on how it operated and he did not pass it on to the tech. The tech forced the door to close without releasing the posilock door arm. It bent the cam on the posilock and jammed the door closed. I had to climb through the window and remove the handle plate to pry on the release bar and get the door open. If I had tried getting it open with the handle it would have broken it. I believe that is where your problem lies. I had the tech cut the cam off of the posilock so it would work properly and not jam the door. The service center ordered me a new posilock arm from Foretravel and I replaced it. Works fine now. You may be able to remove yours and straighten it but it is difficult because the metal it hard. I have been able to do it in the past. It just depends how bent yours is. Hope this is helpful.
Mark
The selected media item is not currently available.
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #12
Thanks Jack, it's definitely not the lock as I was on the inside the first time we had the issue and moved the lock several times thinking that was the problem. It still opened hard in the unlock position.
TM my striker moves only horizontal, so I'm guessing it only changes how tight the door shuts against the frame. There's no up and down play.
If it doesn't have vertical movement then it shouldn't float. Not knowing when they put the PTL door on the U320 my information about it floating might not be accurate for your coach. Mine floats easily up and down and has no in and out movement.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #13
Eric,

Here is some info you need to look over that will explain how your latch should work. PTL Preferred Door Latch Adjustment
Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #14
1995 U280 entry door with a different unlock problem.  Had to climb in a rear window to open the door with the lower latch. That was working fine on the inside but exterior latch would not open the door.  Ended up taking the latch post off to make it inoperative and just using the dead bolt. (not a great solution) The root cause was when the the door froze up and a yank broke the cable.  Solution:  go south earlier in the year!
Called the factory.... Oh they do not make that latch anymore!
Took the panels off and found the problem the cable lever had broken off.
Now looking for a used door lock, or a good locksmith.

Connie and Rick Brown, Calgary

Reply #15
I have had a problem with the entry door gasket sticking to the door frame.

Use a  super sensitive, nuclear powered pry bar, starting at the upper left corner, while holding the outside latch in the open position.

After opening use a rag and solvent to remove the door gasket material from the door frame. Clean and wax the door frame paying particular attention to the door gasket seating area.

Clean and lubricate the door gasket using silicone spray and/or a silicone based auto wax.

Tim

Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #16
I just got back from having my 2001 U320 serviced.  Now I am having trouble closing the entry door.  I had cautioned them about the proper way of opening and closing the door, but I am sure the mechanic pulled on the door to close it.  I can see where the metal at the top of the door is bent from them pulling on the door to close it.  If I open the door all of  the way I can't get the safety to release, so I can close the door. 

Reply #17
For those who have their coaches serviced: tape a sign on the outside of the door explaining how it works.  Several different people may use the door while being serviced.  Maybe a waste of time, no one reads instructions any way.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #18
Phyllis, can your call your service shop re this, sounds like they are responsible and should fix it?
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #19
So? 

Cable adjustment or PTL door locking mechanism?  :D
Scott & Carol Seibert
2001 42' double slide U320 - Sold
Previous - 2002 36' U320

Reply #20
I have had this problem several times. It has been fixed, but sometime reoccurs.
One thing that I have tried that has seemed to work is to try and clean out any dirt or "stuff" in the mechanism and spray it with silicone. Then work it a few times.
Eric & Nancy
1999 36 Ft. U320 WTFE
2016 GMC Terrain

Reply #21
I use dry Teflon spray lubes on moving parts as dust and grit won't stick to it, or gum up. Even use it on my motorcycle chain. Just don't get on your disk brakes. Sailors use it on their sailcloth and blocks to keep them clean. Super slippery stuff that lasts a long time, but not a very good penetrating lube.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake