Skip to main content
Topic: SAFETY ALERT: C8.3 Fuel Leak (Read 1321 times) previous topic - next topic

SAFETY ALERT: C8.3 Fuel Leak

Took our coach out a couple days ago to get our annual TX "Safety Inspection", which is a bad joke, but not the subject of this post.

Arriving back home, I left coach idling in driveway for about 10 minutes while I swept the parking spot.  Pulled back into spot, shut engine down.  Stepped out of coach to go into house, and noticed a rather large (2' diameter) wet spot on the driveway where coach had been idling.  Did the "dip finger in it and smell" test (no raunchy jokes please) on the liquid - determined it was diesel fuel.  This was disconcerting, because our engine has always been (for 5 years of our ownership) very tight and leak-free.  So, investigation required!

Got out today to see what's the problem.  Coach was raised up, safety stands in place.  Started the engine and crawled under the rear end.  I can immediately see fuel dripping off one of the metal fuel tubes on the passenger side of engine block.  Shut down engine, raised up the mattress platform.  Closer look with flashlight revealed the fuel was dripping off a metal clamp that secures a fuel tube (Photo 01 & 02).  This tube runs from engine mounted fuel filter base over to the injection pump, so is therefore a low pressure (30 psi) supply tube.  The area on the block immediately adjacent to the support bracket was wet with fuel (Photo 03).

I removed the fuel tube from the engine and took it to my bench (Photo 04 & 05).  Could not see any obvious problem, so I loosened the retaining clamp and slid the bracket to the side.  BINGO!  As soon as I moved the bracket, I saw the problem: the rubber "padding" on the clamp did not go all the way around the fuel tube, plus the rubber was falling apart.  This had allowed direct contact between the metal clamp and the metal fuel tube.  A polished area on the tube indicated it had been moving around in the clamp due to engine vibration (Photo 06).  On the back side of the tube (hidden in Photo 06) the contact between the clamp and the tube had worn away quite a bit of material, resulting in a obvious "notch" in the metal (Photo 07).  Although I could not actually see a "hole" in the tube, I was pretty sure this was the location of the leak.

To be absolutely sure, I reinstalled the fuel tube on the engine without the support bracket.  Started the engine, and fuel immediately started dripping off the shiny spot on the tube.  Bending way over the top of the engine and looking with a flashlight and a magnifying glass, I could actually see a tiny little spray of fuel coming from the corner of the "notch".  The hole must be microscopic, but at 30 psi it allows a substantial quantity of fuel to escape.  And, of course, it would have gotten steadily worse with time, so glad I caught it.

Now I have to come up with a replacement fuel delivery tube, which may be a bit tricky.  I looked up the part number on our Cummins QuickServe account, and came up with 3926263.  Haven't found any immediate online source for this part, but still looking.  I may be forced to ask for help from the local Cummins shop, which I hate to do because they are such A-Holes.  We'll see.

BUT, the important thing I wanted to do is get out the word about this potential failure point.  Any members with the mechanical C8.3 might want to inspect this fuel tube and support bracket area.  If you can correct the inappropriate factory support device with a better item, you could avoid having to deal with a fuel leak.  Although a fire would not be likely from this leak (all the hot stuff is on the other side of the engine), it will sure make a mess on your towd, and could possibly strand you in a inconvenient location.

The OEM Cummins metal clamp with rubber insert (Photo 08) is a poor choice for this application.  It is better suited to securing electrical wiring.  I will look around and come up with a better device to secure my replacement/repaired fuel tube, and post what I find in this thread.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Re: SAFETY ALERT: C8.3 Fuel Line Leak

Reply #1
I have gas brazed leaks on lines like that with no future issues. Some with 3000 psi.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Great troubleshooting ......
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #3
Chuck,you are in a oilfield town,that looks like 1/4 inch tubing,you can get a fitting to splice the existing tubing until you can get
the new part.I have repaired many an injector line on fuel lines with these fittings,the most common ones are parker brand.
PS,don't forget to get new o-ring gaskets for the banjo fittings.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #4
Good find, should be able to have it brazed. Orrrr Flex seal 😬😬😎
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #5
Brazing will take about 2 minutes most and make a perfect repair as Chuck and Bruce posted above. And yes, excellent photos and troubleshooting!

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Re: SAFETY ALERT: C8.3 Fuel Tube Leak

Reply #6
Thanks for the helpful comments!  I will look into the suggested ways to "repair" if locating replacement part is too difficult. 

Reply #7
My Cat loaders were always wearing through the steel hydraulic lines as I did demolition mostly and lines would get bent and rub against something causing them to leak. Had to fix on the job as rental is how I worked. Had to disconnect one end of the line to prevent expansion blowing hydraulic oil out the hole while brazing. Sometimes just used a piece of heavy wire when brass rod wasn't on my truck.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #8
If you can't get it fixed you could add a Parker or Swagelok tubing union after cleaning off all the paint.  Just use tubing cutters to cut out the bad spot and add the union, they are ferrule fittings in standard 1/8, 1/4, 3/8" tubing sizes and are installed using a couple wrenches.  There should be an industrial supply house or hydraulic shop near you that should have what you need.  Make sure the fitting and ferrule is stainless steel and not brass.  I don't think brass will be strong enough to compress the steel tubing for a leak free fit.
I used thousands of these fittings on stainless tubing during my working years.  If you were nearby I could give you a couple.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #9
The compression tubing unions sound like a possible fix, but I have to be careful not to change the overall length of the tube, or it might not fit back in place.  I have found photos online of (foreign made?) replacements for this tube (see below).  They all have a flexible rubber center section with braided stainless outer cover, and rigid end pieces that include the banjo fittings.  Perhaps at some point Cummins recognized this potential failure point and redesigned the tube?  Still looking online for a USA source, and will also check with welding shops about getting tube brazed.

Reply #10
That picture appears to be 2 compression fittings with a braided section attached.  If you could find a piece like that you could easily cut your tubing to size and use that.  Just need to be sure it is rated for diesel.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #11
Take yours to a shop that makes hoses and let them make a flexible one.There may not be a USA version.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
Chuck,let us know where and how much that part was in case any of us find the same leak.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #13
Take yours to a shop that makes hoses and let them make a flexible one.  There may not be a USA version.
John,

I was beginning to think you might be correct, until my awesome Google search skills finally produced some results.  First, as mentioned in the OP, I found the OEM part number at our account page at QuickServe Online:

Cummins QuickServe Online

Searching within QuickServe and selecting "New Parts Catalog View" transfers you to another web site called Genuine Cummins Parts:

Genuine Cummins Parts

After entering our engine ESN, the fuel tube listing at this site shows the same "old" part number, but in addition provides the "succession" part number 3937342, which just happens to be the same number shown in the photo I posted above.  I thought I had already tried searching that number alone with no USA results, but when I searched for the exact sequence "Cummins 3937342 Fuel Supply Tube" I finally got several USA vendor hits.  I have no idea why my earlier search did not work...must have either had a Brain Fart or suffered a OldTimer's episode.  :facepalm:

My first promising result was Diesel Parts Direct, where they not only stock the fuel tube but also the two different size sealing washers:

3937342 | Genuine Cummins Fuel Supply Tube

The second USA hit, The Modern Shop, was even more promising.  They offer the same fuel tube and washers, but are less expensive:

3937342 | Cummins® OEM Fuel Supply Tube | The Modern Shop

Because (personally) I would prefer to replace the old tube with a fresh new piece, I just placed my order this morning.  When the parts arrive I will report on the quality and fit.  While waiting, I am still going to look into getting the OEM tube repaired, just to satisfy my own curiosity about how the brazing process works.

PS:  Also found the fuel tube at FindItParts, but they are the highest priced of the three USA vendors:

3937342 by CUMMINS - TUBE,FUEL SUPPLY

Reply #14
Braided stainless with Earl's fittings would look pretty, may even be cheaper. Woops i am a slow typer, so something to keep in mind for the future.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #15
It's got to have the banjo fittings on both ends,sorry but the slow typing part went right over me.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Re: SAFETY ALERT: C8.3 Fuel Leak

Reply #16
Final post to close out this thread.  My replacement fuel tube arrived, and has been installed.  It is shaped a little different from the original, and has a flexible section in the middle, but it fits fine and works properly.  Our coach is now back in operation.

I would like to highly recommend The Modern Shop, the vendor from whom I ordered the parts.  The parts were actually shipped directly from a Cummins warehouse in Harrisburg, PA, and arrived quickly by FedEx Ground.  I already supplied the link in a earlier post, but here it is again.

3937342 | Cummins® OEM Fuel Supply Tube | The Modern Shop

The parts I ordered were as follows:

1.  Part No 3937342    $59.77      Tube, Fuel Supply
2.  Part No 3963983    $  4.42      Washer, Sealing (2 @ $2.21)
3.  Part No 3963988    $  7.52      Washer, Sealing (2 @ $3.76)
    Ground Shipping    $11.85
    Order Total              $83.56

You can see (I hope) in the photos below how the new tube fits.  It follows a more direct path from the fuel filter base to the injection pump.  It does not require the clamp that caused me all the trouble.  It is "self supporting" due to it's shape and design.  I slit a piece of fuel hose lengthwise and slipped it over the flexible section of the fuel tube, just to make sure it could never make contact with any abrasive metal parts, but this is probably not necessary.  (rubber hose is not shown in photos)  Better safe than sorry...

The photos also show how my engine compartment fuel pressure gauge is rigged up.  A steel braided rubber hose connects the two flare fittings.

It took 3 fifteen-second periods of cranking to fill the new tube with fuel before the engine would start.  Got to try our new Blue Sea 7701 battery combiner solenoid.  When I tied all three of our AGM8D's together that old starter really spun like a top!

Anyway, happy ending to a rather unique failure.  Hope publicizing my experience will help other members avoid the same problem.