Skip to main content
Topic: Directv nightmare  (Read 689 times) previous topic - next topic

Directv nightmare

I just installed two new Directv RV Mogul's

After installing one for my customer (friend) adding a new receiver to their existing DTV account, it took them 1 hour 15 minutes on the phone. Turns out that receiver had someone's access card in it, so they sent a new card over night. They got it yesterday.We have not activated that one yet. This was a brand new receiver (or refurb) sealed in the box I purchased online.

The other customer I had installed the RV Mogul dish for, I also added a new receiver to his account. That took 2 calls and about an hour to get going.Barely understood the guy's both times.

Now I was trying to change out my own SD receiver to a HD receiver I bought online, new (or refurbed) sealed in a DTV box. After about 2 1/2 hours (yes 2 1/2 hrs) with directv (ATT),  I couldn't get the new receiver activated. I got switched to 7 different people, none spoke clear English. I can't tell you how many times I had to give them my name address and phone number, that in itself wore me out.

When I told them what I was doing, changing receivers, they said we can do that.So they did turn my old one off right off the bat,but then couldn't turn the new one on, because there is no work order in the system??????

So when I finally decided to give up after threatening to dump them for Dishnet, they said, OK, I'll get you to someone that can disconnect you.I said after 18 years, that is what you think of your customers?

So I tell them to just turn the old receiver back on, they said it will be $99.00. I hung up.

My contract goes till march, then we are done. Dishnet here I come, better of 2 evils.

Pictures of 2 different installs. The Sprinter was really tight.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Re: Directv nightmare

Reply #1
I feel your frustration: I spent two hours on hold the other day with Medicare, just trying to change my address. That was AFTER I spent a hour on line (with no results). Crazy; everyone gets paid except us!  BTW, DISH has been one of the few firms we have had zero problems with. Heck, they even speak English I can understand!  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #2
I feel your pain, I activated the 3rd box in 2 weeks as the first one was glitching, and the replacement fried after 2 days of use. They even sent a tech out after the first one went bad, to try to upgrade my antennae system to HD. Since I want to be able to use the receiver in the coach and have the Wineguard G-2 on the roof I just wanted my receiver replaced. They are sending out old refurbished ones for SD as there are no new ones available. Hope this one makes it through the Phoenix race and the Grand Canyon trip coming up. Yes it took over 2 hours on the phone each time.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #3
I feel your pain, I activated the 3rd box in 2 weeks as the first one was glitching, and the replacement fried after 2 days of use. They even sent a tech out after the first one went bad, to try to upgrade my antennae system to HD. Since I want to be able to use the receiver in the coach and have the Wineguard G-2 on the roof I just wanted my receiver replaced. They are sending out old refurbished ones for SD as there are no new ones available. Hope this one makes it through the Phoenix race and the Grand Canyon trip coming up. Yes it took over 2 hours on the phone each time.

Nuts huh? They told me they could send me a new Genii for free, but my contract will go out another 2 years. I told them I don't want a genii, I want their new  H4 I have activated.

We have 2 dish's. Wingaurd for HD when parked, and Trac Star for in-motion. The H4 will work n both, legacy and Swim.

We are only in contract, because 2 years ago they jacked our price up. I commitment to 2 years, to get $20.00 a month off.

The SD is going away some time soon, because they are turning it off, just like Verizon is dumping G3. So domes won't work anymore.

Dish has their in-motion dome, so I will just sell the DTV Wingaurd, and have one dish, in-motion and HD.

I would kill my account right now, but good luck getting that resolved with billing and the contract. I would Imagine the buy out is high.If we don't pay it,they will mess with our credit and everything.

Chris

Reply #4
I talk to a retention manager every year and threaten to quit Directv and just stream. Every year they find a  "special deal" for another year. Have 3 receivers, two in house, and one in coach. Have in home service contract for house [they will not even look at coach system], hd service, and basic programming with locals. Have been paying about $50/mo for the last 5 years. My coach receiver just crapped out. old h21 model, so bought it into the house and called them and told them no signal from unit to tv. Went through normal 30 min troubleshooting b.s. and then they decided to send tech the next day. He just bought out a new h25 and set it up, I then moved it back to the coach. They are a pain, but nice if you spend time out in the sticks, with poor cell phone service and no OTA.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #5
According to the lady I talked to at Wineguard, the H-24 or H-25 will work on my dome after the SD drop off. The service guy that was out here had one on his truck , but said his supervisor would not let him give it to me.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #6
Just a heads up. A couple of years ago I bought a brand new DISH VIP sat receiver to replace a failed unit (on eBay).

The eBay seller, and Dish net were unable to get the new VIP to work.  The seller let us keep the unit instead of returning since he had no use for it.  Advantage to us was the remote we kept - receiver went to recycling in Oregon.

Dish seems to load all info on receiver and card in advance in their system for direct sales from them, and "outside" receivers don't work (at least in this case for us).

We had another receiver fail this week.  Dish sent a refurbished receiver next day UPS delivery, with old failed unit required to be returned. Total cost to us was $15 towards shipping cost.

Dish now lets us change locations for "locals" channels via a app on our phone, instead of needing to call or use on line chat. Nice upgrade in service.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #7
According to the lady I talked to at Wineguard, the H-24 or H-25 will work on my dome after the SD drop off. The service guy that was out here had one on his truck , but said his supervisor would not let him give it to me.

Of coarse winegaurd will tell you that, they want to keep selling dome dishes.

I would go out on the net and research it. From all I read, and talking to RF Mogul, DTV is tight lipped about it, when it's going to happen.
Chris

Reply #8
Finally talked to someone that gets it at Solid Signal.One of the receivers, the one I didn't have trouble with authorizing,came from them.
Any receiver added to your account, will extend your account for another 2 years.
So glad it didn't get activated.

Awesome place:

Solid Signal - Signal Solutions including HDTV Antennas, DIRECTV and DISH...

Reply #9
Just a heads up. A couple of years ago I bought a brand new DISH VIP sat receiver to replace a failed unit (on eBay).

The eBay seller, and Dish net were unable to get the new VIP to work.  The seller let us keep the unit instead of returning since he had no use for it.  Advantage to us was the remote we kept - receiver went to recycling in Oregon.

Dish seems to load all info on receiver and card in advance in their system for direct sales from them, and "outside" receivers don't work (at least in this case for us).

We had another receiver fail this week.  Dish sent a refurbished receiver next day UPS delivery, with old failed unit required to be returned. Total cost to us was $15 towards shipping cost.

Dish now lets us change locations for "locals" channels via a app on our phone, instead of needing to call or use on line chat. Nice upgrade in service.

Are the receivers activated on a home account? Or a RV account?

We pay $15.00 a month extra for LA nets with DTV, so we get them any where on sat 101. Use to be able to turn them on and off. Last time was a nightmare. tech said just leave them on.
Thanks

Reply #10
Are the receivers activated on a home account? Or a RV account?

We pay $15.00 a month extra for LA nets with DTV, so we get them any where on sat 101. Use to be able to turn them on and off. Last time was a nightmare. tech said just leave them on.
Thanks

RV only account in our case.  We always change locals as we travel for local weather reports.  (Full-timers)

Reply #11
RV only account in our case.  We always change locals as we travel for local weather reports.  (Full-timers)
Awesome....They are way more RV friendly.
just found out, we can cancel DTV for $100.00.
Anyone want to buy a Wingegaurd Traveler new, painted white, for DTV!
Chris

Reply #13
What makes it even more ridiculous is six minutes of commercials, then four minutes of show, then repeat--over & over. And this we pay for!!
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #14
When we bought the coach, it had a 'King Dome' installed by the PO, with Bluetooth and all the goodies. Never got it to work, so just got this: trouble-free.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #15
Funny, because when I was a dealer, everyone paid about $30.00 for programming on the big dish. There were 21 programmers, so if you didn't like one, you called another. And no commitments.
Kept telling people that were buying little dishes (we sold both) it's a a captive audience. DTV was $29.95 for everything they had, extra for HBO.
I told them when they get a bunch of these out there, what is happening now is what I told them would happen. But it is even worse in my opinion.
I paid $5K for their stupid cardboard display with a $250.00 TV and a $50.00 disc player to be a dealer.Also had to pay for a flight to Oregon to listen to their BS, that told me nothing.
They used my /our money to launch their. Sats. There was no sats up yet.Then within 6 months, everyone was a dealer, and they started jacking prices, lowering the retail till I was making about $50.00 a system to install.
Chris

Reply #16
Love this new app. Don't have to talk to anyone. Just click a few buttons and you have locals. My one complaint is that the guide takes a while to update. Sometimes (a lot of of times) it takes overnight.

Love my Mogul.

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #17
Love this new app. Don't have to talk to anyone. Just click a few buttons and you have locals. My one complaint is that the guide takes a while to update. Sometimes (a lot of of times) it takes overnight.

Love my Mogul.

see ya
ken

The guide is slow for us sometimes, but rarely over 20 - 30 minutes.  That's if we do a system setup then re-install after updating locals.

Reply #18
DirecTV Now streaming is $15/mo, gets local channels, has a DVR function, works everywhere we go and uses none of your cellular data allocation.  We are all ATT cellular, no cable or DSL, up to 450 GB per month from ATT. 

We have DTV at home and on the coach too.  We have never had any problems with it or customer service.

We also have lots of books.

Reply #19
DirecTV Now streaming is $15/mo, gets local channels, has a DVR function, works everywhere we go and uses none of your cellular data allocation.  We are all ATT cellular, no cable or DSL, up to 450 GB per month from ATT. 

We have DTV at home and on the coach too.  We have never had any problems with it or customer service.

We also have lots of books.

Thanks, try calling them now. Maybe your account hasn't transitioned to ATT yet. That is one of the issue for us, after talking to several dealers.Anything you do, changes your account to 24 more months.

The other issue for us is, we only do Verizon data on pay as you go we we head south for 3 months. We have awesome cable internet at home cheap (unlimited and lighting fast,$50.00 a month).

Been with Verizon 20 years. two lines, unlimited everything tax and all $62.00 a month. If I change my plan to add data when we leave, it becomes a nightmare with them too.So we have a separate account and line for PAYG.

I keep the data off on my smart phone, leave it on WIFI when home. We live in a dark hole, all services get like 1-2 bars. I have tried Mobile Data, and it doesn't work well, especially the internet.
Chris

Reply #20
I will be talking to Steve from satallitesteve.com in Nov. he will be in Tampa, does Dish installs,with free receivers and free installs, I will have to see how it goes. I want to have 2 solo receivers and use my King VQ2100 carry out.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #21
I will be talking to Steve from satallitesteve.com in Nov. he will be in Tampa, does Dish installs,with free receivers and free installs, I will have to see how it goes. I want to have 2 solo receivers and use my King VQ2100 carry out.
Get the winegard play maker, much better. Don't have to have the handle north. Installed them all. Way better
Chris

Reply #22
Let's talk about Direct Receivers in general.  All Direct Receivers have a Smart Card that is married to that unit and in turn set up with your account info.  You cannot remove the Smart Card and insert it in another receiver, won't work. When changing Direct equipment you have just one choice, throw the old one in the trash and start with a new one. Dish is the way to go.
1988  40' Grand Villa Cat 3208t

Reply #23
Let's talk about Direct Receivers in general.  All Direct Receivers have a Smart Card that is married to that unit and in turn set up with your account info.  You cannot remove the Smart Card and insert it in another receiver, won't work. When changing Direct equipment you have just one choice, throw the old one in the trash and start with a new one. Dish is the way to go.

They will send you a new card. But that wasn't my issue. It was brand new receiver. I was trying to change out my old non HD receiver, to their new HD unit. Told them what I wanted to do upfront, they said no problem I can do that.

They turned the SD unit right off, but wouldn't then turn the HD one on. Then they wanted $99.00, to turn the non HD one back on.

Had I got it turned on (found this out later) they would have converted my account to a new 2 year commitment. When adding any receiver to your account, it starts your account to a new 2 yr commitment.
Chris

Reply #24

They turned the SD unit right off, but wouldn't then turn the HD one on. Then they wanted $99.00, to turn the non HD one back on
Wow, talk about adding insult to injury! Hey, I can't get your new stuff to work, so I'm going to charge you $99 bucks to type in and restore your previous service. Bonus is you gained a diverse culture during your 6 hours with tech support. I would be ballistic!
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake