Skip to main content

Topic: Battle Born LiFePO4 Battery Integration (Read 896 times) previous topic - next topic

Tim and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Battle Born LiFePO4 Battery Integration
Great!  Maybe we'll have to have a Battleborn rally in a few months to compare installs and notes.  Or we should at least start a new thread to compare install and notes.
Several others have...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Battle Born LiFePO4 Battery Integration
Reply #1
What I did on my Newell when I installed 1000 amp hours of Winston cells was to use a Balmar MC-614 external regulator.  It had many different configurations to protect the alternator and also to limit max voltage and to set float volts.  This...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
I have two Victron solar controllers and a Victron inverter/charger. Will try as suggested, a disconnect between alternator and lithium batteries and monitor their SOC. Hopefully solar will supply the majority of the charge I need. I do have a...

Reply #3
My batteries should be delivered on Tuesday next week! 
Went by the coach today and did some measurements, etc.  The battery cables I have are all for a post connection where the BB's will have a tab (flag) with a bolt, so I'll either have to cut...

Reply #4
My batteries arrived on Friday and I installed them yesterday.  I used the existing racks but added plywood floors for support and to utilize the extra shelf space gained by the smaller batteries.  I shed 400 lbs while maintaining about the same...

Reply #5
Next time you check the alternator charging use your infrared temp gun to watch the temperature at the alternator case and the belts.
Install looks good! 

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I moved the house bank off the isolator and kept my trickle charger from the house to the engine batteries.. so far so good.. Alternator charges the engine only at this point.. havnt decided what is next

Reply #7
I have no direct knowledge but a quick reading of the online manual for the Magnum advanced remote control (ME-ARC) seems to show a custom setting where the charger can be set to come on in  bulk charge.

I do not think the std ME-RC has that...

Reply #8
Do the battle born batteries have an internal battery management system? 

With a quick reading of the online manual ...

Reply #9
"... a quick reading of the online manual for the Magnum advanced remote control (ME-ARC) seems to show a custom setting where the charger can be set to come on in  bulk charge. "

I believe you're referring to the "Start Bulk" feature?  That's the...

Reply #10
Maybe this topic should get moved over into Tech Talk rather than the Chit Chat forum.

Not sure how to do that.

Reply #11
Following Brett's comments in earlier posts I chose to separate the dissimilar batteries by moving to a manual switch instead of an isolator.  In the two and a half years of our install, I have never had the need for alternator charging of...

Reply #12
At the coach today doing a few things and planning out the BB install.  The easiest way will be to put the BBs on the lower rack where the gels currently are.  But I've never been accused of doing things the easy way....  So since I'll probably...

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
I'm confused... are you really going camping in  minus 4 temps?

Are there any temperature restrictions on your LiFePO4 batteries? - Battle...

Maybe I'm being toooo simplistic, but by "drop in" like stated 99% no issues and similar parameters for...

Reply #14
I believe the BMS shuts off charging at +25deg, not -4.  You can pull power from them at a much lower temp than you can charge them.  Moving them inside is a great option if you plan to use them in below freezing temps, and the temp inside the...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
I believe the BMS shuts off charging at +25deg, not -4.  You can pull power from them at a much lower temp than you can charge them.  Moving them inside is a great option if you plan to use them...

Reply #16
I tested my rebuilt LN 160 amp alternator and the inverter by baking a dish in the convection microwave driving across the desert for several hours.  No gen.  Batteries were low also.  Lots of gauge/voltage  fluttering as the oven cycled on and...

Reply #17
After a couple of cryptic email answers from Magnum tech support today, the Constant Current/Constant Voltage option is apparently supposed to solve the bulk charging problem.  Why didn't they tell me that in the 1st place?  There's got to be a...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Regarding climate control of lithium batteries, I:

- Insulated the house battery box by extending the divider between the diesel fuel tank, installing insulation and a rubber door seal
- Drilled two 3 inch holes on the ceiling of the battery box....

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Regarding climate control of lithium batteries, I:

- Insulated the house battery box by extending the divider between the diesel fuel tank, installing insulation and a rubber door seal
- Drilled two...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Extreme temperatures occur frequently. For example:

C O L D
I was in Laffayette, LA (near the Gulf coast) in January and there was a rare ice storm that lasted for days. The detrimental phenomenon is called "Lithium Plating". The article below...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Good points Tim, if it looks like a hard freeze, I will probably be plugged in somewhere with bay heaters on. My batteries are also in next compartment to aquahot, so doubt they would see 32 f.
I would turn off my inverter/charger and solar...

Reply #22
Yes, the BMS is there to protect the battery from charging at too low or too high temps, and the 8-10yr warranty backs that up.  I think I'll trust it to do it's job while I also monitor my bay temps.  If I the temps are frequently getting out of...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
If the battery suddenly disconnects from the charger, a voltage spike could damage both the charger and 12 Volt DC load electronics like the fridge, heater, AC and hot water heater. This depends on the design of the system. This is why I have big...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
Not sure Foretravels with inverter/chargers have the ability to stop charging batteries but still supply 12 volts to the coach. The battle born batteries do not communicate with the charger. I look at the automatic battery disconnect feature as...