Skip to main content

Topic: Rapid Carbon Buildup on Electrodes (Read 459 times) previous topic - next topic

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Rapid Carbon Buildup on Electrodes
See photo. The Atwood hot water heater failed to ignite. Carbon was building up quickly on the electrodes for the electronic ignition. So I just cleaned and gapped (1/8 inch) electrodes last week. The propane flame looks normal because there was...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Rapid Carbon Buildup on Electrodes
Reply #1
Running rich will cause that. Dirt, debris or insect next in the "U" tube will cause that.

First thing I would do is used compressed air to blow out the "U" shaped burner tube.  Be sure to stand beside the water heater when you do it so you don't...

Reply #2
After Brett's suggestion, check the air slider to make sure the screw has not come loose. This can cause a rich mixture. Any yellow other than orange and yellow flashes in the flame means it's generating carbon monoxide and is a rich mixture.

Have...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Glad I have an Aquahot ;D

just wanted to throw that out there ... Just kidding.. I heard  in the last few days that there is never a problem with the propane heaters.. guess they were not correct.

in its defense I never had an issue with my propane...

Reply #4
Fixed a lot of propane heaters long ago as a Foretravel manager.  No aqua hots installed in the 80's and early 90's

If it's got parts it will need fixing.  Duh.

Reply #5
Near as I can tell my water heater, and one furnace are 29 years old and still working.

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Thanks for the tips.
All screws were and are tight. If the flame shape and tip looks normal; blue with with some occasional small yellowish flashes, this shouldn't foul the electrodes, yes?

I will blow compressed air tomorrow.

BTW, Aquahot is...

Reply #7
The  perfect machine has no moving parts. Quote from "childhoods end" by Arthur Clark

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
The propane hot water heater has one moving part: the gas solenoid. How many moving parts does Aquahot have? Just curious.

Reply #9
The propane hot water heater has one moving part: the gas solenoid. How many moving parts does Aquahot have? Just curious.
How many moving parts does your coach heating system have? AH is both

Reply #10
You don't have an AH Tim.  What's your point? When my AH is on 120v heat has one pump, two heat exchanger fans in the LR. That is all we need.  No additional parts to create all the hot water we need too.  And it makes no noise to annoy your...

• NancyS
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #11
Word of advise, Whole House Propane Regulators have a life span of 10 years per our dealer.  Soot build up can be from in proper pressure adjustment, or stale propane. If you have gas delivered to your coach ask the delivery guy about having the...

Reply #12
Just curious about the AH, does it also exchange heat from the engine while driving?

Reply #13
Just curious about the AH, does it also exchange heat from the engine while driving?
Yes
Mike

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Hmmm, the propane tank dial says it is just below 1/4 tank. That should leave about 10 gallons of propane left. Shouldn't that be enough LPG to provide enough pressure? I plan on filling it up next week.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Aquahot,...

Reply #15
Drive, heat the AH from the engine, heat the coach while on the way.  Hot water when you get somewhere,  no diesel, no electric and still plenty of hot water in the morning.

Reply #16
Hmmm, the propane tank dial says it is just below 1/4 tank. That should leave about 10 gallons of propane left. Shouldn't that be enough LPG to provide enough pressure?

Yes, as long as there is...

Reply #17
But tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Reply #18
If the stove and furnace work normally, assume propane in the tank is not the problem.