Skip to main content

Topic: CAT 3126 Coolant in Oil: Followup (Read 981 times) previous topic - next topic

• BillO
  • [*][*][*]
CAT 3126 Coolant in Oil: Followup
Rather than resurrect the original thread (whose title can't be edited at this point) I thought I'd start a new followup.

After a delay for Thanksgiving, the coach was towed (a disaster worthy of its own topic) into the CAT dealer for evaluation...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: CAT 3126 Coolant in Oil: Followup
Reply #1
I cringe when I think of someone towing my Foretravel.

Interesting. Mine was a bad # 6, all the rest were fine. Head gasket looked terrible, but it was the oil ring in the end that was the issue, although the top of the cylinder was oblong, and...

Reply #2
Ah the drive is so good the problems fade away do they not?

Reply #3
Ah the drive is so good the problems fade away do they not?
Yup, and thanks for helping get my head straight Bob

Reply #4
Happy to help.  I have had quite a few agitated customers across my desk with issues.

I helped them "get their mind  right," 

The results are/worth the work.

Unless you want to drive a car and eat out and hotel it?

SPLIT: "Cat 3126B Venting White Smoke, Consuming Oil"Re: CAT 3126 Coolant in Oil: Followup
Reply #5
One or more of the messages of this topic have been moved to Foretravel Tech Talk

http://www.foreforums.com/index.php?topic=35659.0

• BillO
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
Holt CAT called this PM to say they had the engine out and were proceeding to move external parts over to the new engine after evaluating them.  Interestingly, they elected to pull the engine out from underneath but I wonder if that was simply...

Reply #7
Holt CAT called this PM to say they had the engine out and were proceeding to move external parts over to the new engine after evaluating them.  Interestingly, they elected to pull the engine...

• BillO
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
Chris,

I had already requested the replacement of hoses and belts -- did not know that these were listed in the manual but will check when I get there Monday.

The coach tranny had already been converted to Transynd which I replaced 3 years ago when...

Reply #9
Chris,

I had already requested the replacement of hoses and belts -- did not know that these were listed in the manual but will check when I get there Monday.

The coach tranny had already been...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Not sure how a turbo and alternator can break during disassembly,sounds more like they broke them.There is no Cat brand turbo
may be a Garret.Have replaced many turbos in the field and if you take the time it's easy.

Reply #11
Not sure how a turbo and alternator can break during disassembly,sounds more like they broke them.There is no Cat brand turbo
may be a Garret.Have replaced many turbos in the field and if you...

• BillO
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #12
Thanks for pointing out the existence of the hose data in the user manual. 

I went up yesterday to find the manual and review what they recommend replacing.  The parts guy said that the manual info would be big help in finding the hoses.

The turbo...

Reply #13
Thanks for pointing out the existence of the hose data in the user manual. 

I went up yesterday to find the manual and review what they recommend replacing.  The parts guy said that the manual...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Get a price on the alternator repair,if it's the original get a Delco Remy repalacement,much better then the Leece Neville,had my
LN rebuilt but it did not last,the new Delco was cheaper then the repair.

Reply #15
Most alternators overcharge our use batteries. The large heat sinks of the oem and the adjustable voltage may be why Foretravel used them?  The output needs to be 1/5th the battery bank capacity to charge most batteries correctly to avoid...

• BillO
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #16
Chris,
The service writer showed me what they've planned for the oil fill -- Mobil 15w-40.  I asked him about a thread here that suggested CAT recommended something lighter and his response was "the 15w-40 is CAT's recommendation".

My bandaid...

Reply #17
Chris,
The service writer showed me what they've planned for the oil fill -- Mobil 15w-40.  I asked him about a thread here that suggested CAT recommended something lighter and his response was...

• BillO
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #18
Today's update:

Called to check on progress.  They have all the hoses for the engine compartment (nothing back to the front-end heater, which is fine) and the engine has been reinstalled (service writer wasn't sure about the tranny).  The...

• BillO
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #19
Got a bit of scare with call from the service writer mid-morning Friday to ask where the main fuses are.  Seems when they tried to turn over the engine they got no juice to the dash, engine and other things.   I directed them to the areas that I...

Reply #20
Got a bit of scare with call from the service writer mid-morning Friday to ask where the main fuses are.  Seems when they tried to turn over the engine they got no juice to the dash, engine and...