Skip to main content

Topic: Caterpillar 3126 Venting White Smoke, Consuming Oil (Read 242 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from CAT 3126 Coolant in O...

Caterpillar 3126 Venting White Smoke, Consuming Oil

Another FT 3126 is having the same issues with oil loss  I had, and it seems to be #6. Number 6 in my terms is, the cylinder above the bell housing. It is actually # 6 in firing order

The...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:02:04 pm by wolfe10

Re: "Cat 3126B Venting White Smoke, Consuming Oil"Re: CAT 3126 Coolant in Oil: Followup
Reply #1
Could be a stuck top ring. That would account for the blowby but since the oil ring is OK, not using any oil. You need to figure out if it's got a leak or if it's all coming out of the crankcase vent. They do make gauges so you can block the...

Re: "Cat 3126B Venting White Smoke, Consuming Oil"Re: CAT 3126 Coolant in Oil: Followup
Reply #2
On my 3126, had a bad injector.  The bad injector cylinder did show to be cooler, because it was not firing.  I was also using oil at the time.  Changed out injector and oil consumption ended.  Went to Colorado twice this year and only added 2...

Reply #3

The other 3126 that Chris mentions as having an issue would be mine, and Chris has been a huge help in diagnosing mine, but it seems a little different than the OP's mixing of oil & coolant. ...

Reply #4
Could be a stuck top ring. That would account for the blowby but since the oil ring is OK, not using any oil. You need to figure out if it's got a leak or if it's all coming...

Reply #5
Sound like faulty top ring for the venting oil  engine.
Other places to look  might be valve lash and cracked guide.  Does this engine use rocker arms?  A long time tight valve will destroy the guide and compromise the power of that chamber  with...

Reply #6
When you start a new thread on this maybe have the #6 and one of the other cyls. compression checked. If there is a big difference, you will know the problem. The low temp and blowby usually...

Reply #7
Sound like faulty top ring for the venting oil  engine.
Other places to look  might be valve lash and cracked guide.  Does this engine use rocker arms?  A long time tight valve will...

Reply #8
A bad injector will cause lower temp. in a cylinder. It can also cause it to use oil and smoke, because the cylinder is being flooded with fuel, washing the cylinder down. I did replace the...

Re: Cat 3126B Venting White Smoke, Consuming Oil
Reply #9
Wow.  Lot's of good info.  My feeling is, as several have mentioned, that it is probably a stuck ring.  I don't slow idle much but that's the only thing that completely makes sense to me, given my current symptoms of white smoke in the crankcase...

Reply #10
Chris, can they pull the injector, and use a bore scope to see if the is any cylinder damage without pulling the head.

Reply #11
While this is not applicable to the CAT in question, it's a good video for understanding how wet liners are removed (and replaced in the next video) by a simple tool. I think this engine is a Cummins as it has oil sprayers to cool the piston...

Reply #12
Nothing so fancy in a backyard rebuild. I made a tool to catch the bottom of the liner and pulled them out with a comealong.

Reply #13
Chris, can they pull the injector, and use a bore scope to see if the is any cylinder damage without pulling the head.
You probably could. I actually had one I borrowed, but the camera was...

Reply #14
Wow.  Lot's of good info.  My feeling is, as several have mentioned, that it is probably a stuck ring.  I don't slow idle much but that's the only thing that completely makes sense to me, given...

Reply #15
If you pull an injector this is the tool to use to check compression.

SKU : TU-15-43 - Diesel Compression Test Adapter for Caterpillar 3126 and...

Reply #16
Just want to clarify for those following.
Our engines are 3126's...or sometimes called 3126 'A'. They are a 2 valve one year only engine. The 3126 'B' is a 3 valve, completely different engine. They used that engine till Cat went to the C-7
The...

Reply #17
Just want to clarify for those following.
Our engines are 3126's...or sometimes called 3126 'A'. They are a 2 valve one year only engine. The 3126 'B' is a 3 valve, completely different...

Re: Caterpillar 3126 Venting White Smoke, Consuming Oil
Reply #18
Mine is also a 3126(A)...not the B.
John

Reply #19
Hmmmm....I need to double check mine then.  I always thought it was a "B".  Probably not since we're only 2 build #'s apart.
'B' didn't start till mid 98.
Ours has the  split inlet to the...