Skip to main content
Topic: Air filter (Read 750 times) previous topic - next topic

Air filter

Just talked with another U300 owner who mentioned that the air filter listed in his manual was incorrect. He was away from his coach, so he couldn't tell me what the proper one was. FOT just changed mine and used a Fleetgard AF 1838. Is that correct for a 1993 DD 6V92TA?

Re: Air filter

Reply #1
I just installed the Donaldson DBA5029 but had to fit the old foam gasket and punch a hole for the air restriction gauge. Only a one minute job and instant for the hole. But if your Fleetgard fits and draws air from the outside to the inside, I'm sure it will be fine. Do you have the behind the rear tires air intake or the later behind and above the radiator intake?

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #2
Behind the rear tires.

Reply #3
Dave I use the Napa gold part # 2610 it already has the hole. The donalson part # off my filter housing is p148043.
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #4
I should have made a more complete post on how I got the Donaldson filter and why I had to make the slight changes to it. The new Donaldson filter was for sale on our forum at a very attractive price. I measured ours and sent the measurements to the seller. They were the same and after checking the model number, I could see it filtered the air the correct direction. I then went to the Donaldson page to education myself on the "blue" high performance filter they make. Down below is their video of the advantages of their new line of filters.

So, when the filter arrived, I could quickly see that there was no foam gasket at the small end of the filter and there was also no hole to allow the canister end to read the restriction and send it up the tube to the gauge. Using a razor blade, I quickly removed the foam gasket from the old filter and glued it into place on the new filter. I took an ice pick and remembering the shower scene from "phycho" gave it my best sound effect and stabbed a hole where you see it in the photo.

Foretravel could not have picked a worse place to bring air into the filter and then the engine. It's just above the pavement and right behind the rear wheels on our early 1993 U300. When we purchased it, the filter had at least an inch of dust and dirt covering it and didn't look like it ever had been changed. This incredible design fault must have been noticed by Foretravel as they moved the intake further to the rear and about three feet above the ground. Too late for us but I fixing that now before I even move the coach again.

Our replacement Fleetgard only lasted 20K or so and driving in the rain pulled water into the filter soaking it and causing it to partially collapse and the restriction gauge to go to the end.

Anyone can make a video with claims of better performance but when the Donaldson filter arrived, i could immediately see a much higher level of design and construction. It has multiple bands of clear silicon on BOTH the outside as well as the inside to prevent the engine from crushing the filter/housing. The metal structure has a strain relief almost at the end so if the filter housing is a little too short, the metal at the relief will bend to allow proper fit.

So, Don contacted me as he uses the same filter in his 8.3 Cummins. He also has to remove the foam gasket and glue it plus stabbing the hole to allow the restriction gauge to work. Possibly hard to imagine but between the end of the filter and the canister end, a small chamber is created when the four nuts are tightened on the end plate. This small chamber allows a reading of the pressure inside of the filter and through a small tube, sends it up to the restriction gauge.

This Donaldson DBA5029 is not the listed filter part number for the 6V-92TA but it's a perfect fit and like Don and his 8.3 Cummins, I really like it. This is the first place I looked for a price on the filter. Taking a few seconds longer, a better price can probably be found: ResourcefulSupply.com - Thousands of products just one click away.

So, I would recommend any GV owner to not only check the filter but check where the intake is. I will update my modification to the later 1993  style and post it when done.

Donaldson video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGmcYfa1Qg

Pierce

'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #5
Dave I use the Napa gold part # 2610 it already has the hole. The donalson part # off my filter housing is p148043.

I also replaced my Baldwin with a Napa Gold 2610 exact replacement. 

My air intake came from the factory with the higher location.  Somebody there must have figured out that the other location was too low and caused problems!

Jerry

The selected media item is not currently available.
Jerry and Cindy Maddux
1993 U300/36WTBI DD6v92TA
build 4271  "Miss Lou"
1995 suzuki sidekick 4x4 toad
Gulfport, Ms

"Pride of Ownership"

Reply #6
Jerry,

Ours was build in Oct of '92 so a very early 1993 model. I have all the pipe and tin box, just have to shake off this nasty cold and do it. Our canister actually had small branches in it. Super easy for rodents to make a home in there as there is no screen to keep them out.

Good photo. That's just about where ours will go.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #7
Keep us posted, Pierce. I'm wondering how you plan to work around that big black tank full of coolant. Getting to the tail lights on that side is enough of a project, thanks to that tank.

Reply #8
No, it's going to be really easy with the hardest part the attaching of the galvanized adaptor to the existing metal air intake so I can use a 6" round PVC pipe across the outside bottom of the radiator. Once it goes across the bottom, I already have the 90 degree with another three foot section up and then a 90 out the side of the coach.

The bulb in the docking light sticks out behind so Foretravel came up at a bit of an angle while crossing the bottom of the radiator but because I fitted LEDs to all the docking lights, nothing sticks out the back so I can come straight across and then up for a cleaner looking installation. The taillights or the coolant tank are not even close to be a factor.

With a battery screw gun, you can take the big grill and trim out of the way in just a couple of minutes so you have access to everything in front of the radiator. To fasten the box in place, you have to go underneath. I'm going to back the coach with the right rear tires on the edge of my pit so I can reach up to attach the galvanized tin adapter to the OEM intake. I will post photos when done.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)