Skip to main content
Topic: Side Mirror Camera (Read 1099 times) previous topic - next topic

Side Mirror Camera

I've got a nice rear view camera and monitor but I'd like to add a side mirror camera on the pax side. Matter of fact I wouldn't mind adding one on the driver side too. Anyhow, I think I'll go cheap on these. I do have a second input on my monitor. Any recommendations for side cameras and (if possible) some kind of a/b switch or something which would allow me to do two cameras off of my second input? Thanks.
jor

Re: Side Mirror Camera

Reply #1
I've got a nice rear view camera and monitor but I'd like to add a side mirror camera on the pax side. Matter of fact I wouldn't mind adding one on the driver side too. Anyhow, I think I'll go cheap on these. I do have a second input on my monitor. Any recommendations for side cameras and (if possible) some kind of a/b switch or something which would allow me to do two cameras off of my second input? Thanks.
jor
I mounted a cheapie on my mirror. To be honest, it and and the rear view is about all I can handle. if I had a 3rd, I think it would be too much to look at in traffic.
You can see mine here:
Dual Monitors
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #2
The PO installed a hardwired system on my coach when the Javalina wore out. The rear view fills the monitor. Fire a turn signal, the view changes to that side. It's awesome. I use the side cameras sometimes when backing into a spot.

JOR, I'll get you the product info when I go to my coach late next week.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #4
Our 97 has a oem installed new right side camera.  Plus the rear.  I leave it on normally when driving
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #5
Thanks. Just the kind of information I'm looking for.

Chris: Hadn't considered dual monitors.
Jeff: I look forward to this info. Really like the idea of the image changing with the turn signal.
Steve: That looks like what I'd need.
jor

Reply #6
My 2018 Duramax has side cameras that change with the signal and a wireless rear camera to mount at the back of whatever you're pulling.  It's a great system and makes me want that for the coach. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #7
Having the side come on, when the turn signal is applied is a great idea.

Like Bob, I watch both side and rear in traffic. I have no problem with the drivers side just watching in the mirror.

What I meant by confusing in heavy traffic is, just watching two is enough. I couldn't imagine having it switch back and forth automatically like a security system.or worse doing it manually.

I like having the right side on all the time, rather then when I want to switch lanes. I really like to know who is in my blind spot, if an emergency happens, and I need to move right fast.

Entering L.A. From the north, and all the lane switching, makes the side camera a must for me.

We have an in-motion satellite, I have the video hooked into one monitor, so I can glance at it when on deserted roads.

In the end, it's what you are most comfortable with

Chris

Reply #8
Not knowing anything about what is original, this is what was set up in the coach when I bought it. I have to select which camera that I want on with a box next to the shifter buttons.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #9
My son in law is installing 3 small monitors between the tv and left side up high that will show all three cameras at the same time. No need to look down off the road, just a quick glance slightly up.  I am considering the same.
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #10
Full time operation
cameras are mounted just above front bumper
10" in middle replacing audit
7" sides
Tadi Brothers

Looks like I need to straighten the right...lol
The selected media item is not currently available.
My advice and experiences are Free, you decide if they are worth anything .

John - driving Old Faithful
1994 U280 GV
C8.3, Banks, Pacbrake, 900 watts, Resonator, XLHD tow dolly
Retired Army Warrant Officer

Life is what you make of it - if it is lemons, make lemonade!
Former Coaches:
1988 GV 40' ORED 300HP CAT - 9 years
1990 Winnebago LeSharo - 3 years
2000 Newmar London Aire - 3 years (#18 of 23 produced)

Reply #11
Full time operation
cameras are mounted just above front bumper
10" in middle replacing audit
7" sides
Tadi Brothers

Looks like I need to straighten the right...lol

YIKES! I would get confused....LOL...But I like the way you have them lined up in order.

Reply #12
I have a system I've really enjoyed.  Rear camera, two side, and will handle I think two more.  I can switch cameras easily. Default camera view rear is on towed, but since we are not towing yet, I watch right side.  Camera will activate left if turn signal applied.  Color cameras are very good. Night of course it's not color.  It did replace the coach audit system and looks very nice. I took defunct coach audit system out and put in  SeeLevel II above coach entry door. Victron monitor is in  factory battery monitor panel cabinet (thank you Elliott Bray for thar Victron! Love it!).

I'll post the name/brand soon, hopefully I'll remember  Need to get paperwork and scan it in anyway!
1996 36' U295 Build #4879 Motorcade #18088
2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4 FMCA #F474816
Foretravel Mid-South
There's no happy like Foretravel happy!

Reply #13
Just ran wire into fuse compartment then over to dash monitor.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #14
I have two rear facing camera, one down at the toad and the other further back. I also have a right side camera that comes on with the right turn signal.  Harder to see over on that side.  I was going to add a left side camera as well but can't match style.  Right side is much easier to see.  What would really be nice is blind spot monitoring.

Reply #15
My oem right camera is on the front right corner of the coach.  Foretravel made a gel coated fiberglass cover with a glass window over the camera in feb 97
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #16
Here ya go
Foretravel Mid-South

Reply #17
VisionStat

MobileAwareness
Foretravel Mid-South

Reply #18
Closing out this thread. Thanks to all for the ideas. I ended up going with the little body mounted model like Jim has with the video displaying on my existing monitor. Works great.
jor

Reply #19
Closing out this thread. Thanks to all for the ideas. I ended up going with the little body mounted model like Jim has with the video displaying on my existing monitor. Works great.
jor

Jor..what make and model did you end up buying...?

Thx
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #20
what make and model

Little cheapo Sony (camera). It's hard to believe they can make a profit on these things. It came with a very long video cable along with a 3' power and ground. And... get this... it even included a 3/4" hole saw. I did have to buy an adapter to hook up to my Totevision monitor.
jor

Reply #21
Little cheapo Sony (camera). It's hard to believe they can make a profit on these things. It came with a very long video cable along with a 3' power and ground. And... get this... it even included a 3/4" hole saw. I did have to buy an adapter to hook up to my Totevision monitor.
jor
Good job, you amaze me. You now need a second monitor, less confusing in traffic.
Merry Christmas