Skip to main content
Topic: Sound system ideas needed (Read 1080 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound system ideas needed

Our 2000,  34' U270, has speakers in the windshield overhead and in the master bed which are hooked up to the dash stereo head unit.  This provides sound for radio and streaming via Bluetooth to our phone apps and Sirius unit (via the Aux input on the head unit). Our TV works through its internal speaker and we have wireless Bluetooth headsets that allow the TV to be sound without having to run the internal speaker.

The challenge is that Karen wants better sound while she works in the kitchen (she said this is important only for the dash stereo head unit).  My only thought is to run additional speaker wires and flush mount a speaker Below the overhead cabinets over the dining room table. Could be a mono speaker but not sure if headunit can drive additional speaker.
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Re: Sound system ideas needed

Reply #1
Our 2000,  34' U270, has speakers in the windshield overhead and in the master bed which are hooked up to the dash stereo head unit.  This provides sound for radio and streaming via Bluetooth to our phone apps and Sirius unit (via the Aux input on the head unit). Our TV works through its internal speaker and we have wireless Bluetooth headsets that allow the TV to be sound without having to run the internal speaker.

The challenge is that Karen wants better sound while she works in the kitchen (she said this is important only for the dash stereo head unit).  My only thought is to run additional speaker wires and flush mount a speaker Below the overhead cabinets over the dining room table. Could be a mono speaker but not sure if headunit can drive additional speaker.
We have a similar need... our in dash radio stopped working some time ago... not interested in fixing the old school in dash system.  But we have the mounted OEM speakers over windshield and in bedroom.  We have been using a single Bluetooth speaker to our phone apps when wifi is available.. but would like to use the existing speakers or update to Bluetooth but not sure we can find (4) Bluetooth speakers running in parallel and connect to our iPad or iPhones. .
1986 Grand Villa, 454 Chevrolet, 33 SBI tag axle
Build # 2658
2nd owner, original owner was Newman/Freeman Racing, racer Bill Freeman and actor/racer Paul Newman

Reply #2
Try some of the big online electronics distributers.  I get a couple catalogs each year from Crutchfield - they seem to carry a wide range of sound solutions.  There are others just as good...

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
Sound bar?
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #4

We have a Bose Mini Sound Link.  Great sound.  Easy fit in a smaller spot. Depends on what you want.

Amazon.com: Bose soundlink Mini II Limited Edition Bluetooth Speaker:...

Reply #5

I've pulled the plug on the factory Bose unit and will remove it from the coach soon.  Here's why.  I bought this on a whim last year at Walmart so that I could have wireless sound at my dry campsite with the "other" coach.  Amazon.com: Anker SoundCore Boost 20W Bluetooth Speaker with BassUp Technolog... It blew the doors off Klipsch, JBL, and 20 others at the test stand....the depth, fidelity and bass response are simply amazing.  Charge it off any USB port.  Will get another for the bedroom in the FT.  Under $80!  Woody.

2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #6
I bought a Monoprice soundbar for $40 with a usb port so I can listen to all my downloaded music.  Tomorrow I'll try it out at the coach.  The Bose isn't working too well so if this works I'll mount it under the front cabinet by the tv.  I'm not an audiophile so this should work for us.  If so I'll be pulling out the Bose too. 
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #7
We did something similar in our 36,  Great sound - even if you are in the kitchen.  ^.^d 
Scott & Carol Seibert
2001 42' double slide U320 - Sold
Previous - 2002 36' U320

Reply #8
Someone already pulled our Bose and added a real ugly sound bar under the TV and two more speakers that aren't hooked up that have to go.  They make it look like the TV has two big ears and a dirty chin, and the sound bar is in my line-of-sight.    I have switched out the dash radio for an Apple Car Play radio, and by splicing into the wires from the previous one, it plays to four Alpine speakers mounted under the cabinets and up by the windshield.  They are fine for an audio book but not for music.  They appear to be original.

I wish we had a working or non-working Bose still in the coach as a starting place.  I assume the wires are still there but no speakers or mounts.  I see where they were once mounted on brackets under the cabinets and up front.  There is a pair of wires back where the sub woofer would have been under the sink.  My guess is that the Bose wires are all still there somewhere but I haven't seen any speakers and brackets online or at Best Buy that I liked the looks of.  I have a Yamaha amp like the one that we put in our last coach that will fit in the cabinet up front but I don't have any surround speakers to wire it up and haven't seen any I like.

Did the Alpine speakers come with the coach?  Why do people get rid of a working Bose?  The built in Bose in the bedroom works great.  We just would rather sleep there and watch movies on the front TV. 

Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #9
Our OEM bose still works.  We have the front TV connected to it and a wired connection to plug in mobile devices.  There are wifi rcvrs you can get so that BlueTooth will work.  Most if the time it is easier to link to the Bose SoundLink Mini or to the Amazon Echo Show.

Reply #10
We just had the original Bose system removed from our coach in favor of a soundbar.  David may still have the components.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #12
Someone already pulled our Bose and added a real ugly sound bar under the TV and two more speakers that aren't hooked up that have to go.  They make it look like the TV has two big ears and a dirty chin, and the sound bar is in my line-of-sight.    I have switched out the dash radio for an Apple Car Play radio, and by splicing into the wires from the previous one, it plays to four Alpine speakers mounted under the cabinets and up by the windshield.  They are fine for an audio book but not for music.  They appear to be original.

I wish we had a working or non-working Bose still in the coach as a starting place.  I assume the wires are still there but no speakers or mounts.  I see where they were once mounted on brackets under the cabinets and up front.  There is a pair of wires back where the sub woofer would have been under the sink.  My guess is that the Bose wires are all still there somewhere but I haven't seen any speakers and brackets online or at Best Buy that I liked the looks of.  I have a Yamaha amp like the one that we put in our last coach that will fit in the cabinet up front but I don't have any surround speakers to wire it up and haven't seen any I like.

Did the Alpine speakers come with the coach?  Why do people get rid of a working Bose?  The built in Bose in the bedroom works great.  We just would rather sleep there and watch movies on the front TV. 

Rick, I have a listing under the classified post for a Bose system,  it is in my way in the shop.  I'll give it to anyone that will pay shipping.  It has most of the speaker wires but not all.
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #13
I'm heading from Oklahoma to Virginia right down I-40 for Christmas if you will be around.
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #14
I'm heading from Oklahoma to Virginia right down I-40 for Christmas if you will be around.

I sent you a message if we are home stop by
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #15
I cut shallow mount car audio speakers into the underside of the cabinets for surround sound but the same thing would work with a mono speaker in the kitchen area.  I can't get a picture right now but it looks very "stock" as long as you find an auto speaker that has a normal looking speaker grill (which is getting harder to find).  IIRC had to be less than a 2" mounting depth which really limits your options but they are out there. 

I've ditched the dash mounted receiver but from what I remember, I think you should be fine with running a separate set of cables and perhaps hooking them up to the rear speaker hookups on the receiver. 
Robert
Build # 5304
1998 34' U270 Cummins 6CTA8.3

Reply #16
Just get a good set of seperate speakers and a quality player and turn the volume up,would maybe get a subwoofer,surround
sound is good for movies but for music you can't beat stereo,if she want's it blaring in the ear get a set of wireless haedphones.
The kitchen is give or take 8 feet from the front, my opinion you'll hear it fine from there.Crutchfield is good if you need help to
install but there are some models and brands they don't sell and they are not the cheapest.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #17
Thanks to all. We've decided not to run the wire and cut in new speaker(s). Karen will try our Bose Soundlink and stream content when she's in the kitchen.
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Reply #19
Computer audio devices are all small and high-end units may have what you are looking for.

For many years we have a great Logitech 5.1 system with front left & right, rear left & right speakers hanging from under side cabinets, plus center and sub-woofer speakers.

Computer gamers demand strong audio and there are many suppliers trying to satisfy the need. Costs are always lower and units are smaller than comparable home audio.

Reply #21
Aiwa was financed by Sony since 1969 and acquired and shut down by Sony in 2002.  For last 12 years I've had the best sound from Alpine.  You do get better sound from their $250 radio compared to their $150 radio.  I've had both. Check their website for information. Crutchfield Carrie's them.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan