Skip to main content

Topic: Atwood (now Dometic) Hydroflame Furnace replacement (Read 686 times) previous topic - next topic

Atwood (now Dometic) Hydroflame Furnace replacement
 Now that Atwood has been absorbed by Dometic and they have jiggered their LP furnace model lineup, has anybody installed one of the "New and improved ??? " models in place of the Hydroflame 8535 series III's? Dometic killed the two stage Excalibur...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Atwood (now Dometic) Hydroflame Furnace replacement
Reply #1
No responses to my question, so I guess I may be the guinea pig on figuring out what to replace the original Hydroflame 8535 III furnace with. One thing I see on the Dometic products is that the LP connections are on top with a tube assy that...

• Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:02:18 pm by Don & Tys

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
I'm watching, as a new furnace is in my future. Glad your the guinea pig.

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Yea Don..Thanks for taking one for the Foreforums Team..

Mark

Reply #4
Thank you and look forward to your project. Always a outstanding write up with easy to follow pictures.

Reply #5
Don I have run a heating and cooling load on my coach and the furnaces are way oversized for my motorcoach at -5,  probably based on RIVA standards for a POS typical  1.5" of batt insulation TT that arrives at a campsite with the interior at 40...

Reply #6
Here is an update on the Atwood Hydroflame furnace replacement process. I have ordered the NOS Atwood 2540 DCLP from an outfit called Tristate Surplus out of Michigan. I first saw the item as a result of one of my followed eBay searches, but I...

• Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:31:38 am by Don & Tys

Reply #7
Here is an update on the Atwood Hydroflame furnace replacement process. I have ordered the NOS Atwood 2540 DCLP from an outfit called Tristate Surplus out of Michigan. I first saw the item...

• NancyS
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
Concerning the bedroom unit.  The biggest problem with those heaters is the Sail Switch, it is located to the rear under the top cover, has 2 wires attached, you can access it by removing the cover and removing the bottom drawer.  Look for a wing...

Reply #9
I've had both Atwood and Dometic units for over thirty years. They all have a life-span, especially when one full times. Case in point: when we got this coach, the files said, "Overhaul rear Atwood furnace 11.01." It went out last year, and, upon...

Reply #10
Fortunately, most all the components are replaceable and should continue to be. I replaced a 15 year old motor this rear.

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Just DIY replaced the old Atwood with a Suburban two stage furnace. See photo. Had to make an adapter plate out of aluminum, and even made an improvement by making an overhang to prevent water from entering the intake and exhaust ports. See Tim's...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Here's the other photo. This two stage furnace, Model SHD-2542Q (25,000 and 42,000 BTU, the Q=Quiet) is very quiet on the 25,000 BTU stage.  Almost can't hear the flame.

Other improvements are:

- Modified old Atwood faceplate to suit the Suburban....

Reply #13
Interesting, it seems that Suburban discontinued their two stage version around the time that Atwood got acquired. It is hard to tell though, a lot of RV parts places still have the Atwood two stage furnaces on their web sites, but when contacted...

Reply #14
I should point out, the Atwood two stage furnaces requires a different thermostat and won't run off of the Dometic DuoTherm thermostats. Fortunately, the NOS unit I bought includes an Atwood digital thermostat with it, saving $100 or so. I won't...

Reply #15
I may add a couple more 2" ducts for the basement to allow for more air flow through the unit, but I am hoping that the furnace will operate on the low setting most of the time. If they had...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Agreed, no more "blast furnace".

BTW, a 2 stage furnace will operate fine with the old thermostat on the low stage but not on the high stage. An owner could add any two-stage RV (millivolt type) thermostat. You only need to use the R amd W1 wire....

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Tim, we have  an Ecobee in our home and love it. Nice to have the wi fi control.
They seem to be good units.
JohnH

Reply #18
Good to know... the tech I talked to told me that the two stage required a different thermostat, but he didn't say why. I will try it with the Duotherm first to see if will run on low with it. I will install the Atwood digital thermostat bundled...

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
I have the 25/40 Excaliburs. (2 in my 40fter) I installed about 5 years ago IIRC. Have never needed the 40,000btus. Always runs on 25,000. That includes a recent stay in Denver for the month of November. Had some nights in the low teens. I have...

Reply #20
Good info Ken... For-warned. Maybe a master switch that interrupts the power to the thermostat will save wear and tear on that slider switch. When I looked at pictures of the Atwood digital thermostat, I could see that the slider switch would be...

Reply #21
Do you recall whether the the depth of the unit was an issue with the installation? I am assuming that your 25/40K BTU unit is the same dimensions as the one I am getting (16 ½" "W X 9 ⅛"T X...

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
I had no trouble with my install. Fit perfect. I did beef up the rear support on the rear unit but it was just a matter of using a bigger block of wood to hold up the rear. Did I just use the word rear 3 times in one sentence? :) That said every...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Two comments:

1. Heater control
The Suburban SHD-2542Q does not have a digital control. It uses simple a on-off connections between the R and W1 wires for low stage engagement. For stage 2, connect the R and W2 wires.

2. Ecobee 4 report
See the photo...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
PS: I just installed this dumb thermostat beside the smart one. That way, if the smart one stops working, the dumb thermostat will engage the low stage (stage 1) heat by connecting the R and W1 wires.

It looks dumb, but is REQUIRED for...

• Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:00:37 pm by Tim