Skip to main content

Topic: Foretravel Motorhomes with 20 or more years of service (Read 2866 times) previous topic - next topic

Foretravel Motorhomes with 20 or more years of service
I'm thinking about buying a 1997 Foretravel Motorhome U295 36' with approximately 110,000 miles with a Cummins C8.3 325 HP engine. I'm a full timer and wondering how many more years of service I could get from this motorhome.

I would like some...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Foretravel Motorhomes with 20 or more years of service
Reply #1
Well, we're fulltiming in a 1993. We've had some age-related issues, but the coach is sound and good for many more years. We've got  178,000 on the coach and about 12,000 on the rebuilt engine.

Reply #2
John,

If the coach has been taken care of in the past and you do the same your kids will have to get rid of it after your passing. The thing is have someone do an inspection for you that is familiar with the Foretravel brand. You need to realize...

Reply #3
Our '93 was built 12 model numbers before David's (above) and it is still going strong at 190,000 miles.  Our C8.3 purrs like a kitten, and our coach runs down the road smooth as a Cadillac, and keeps us feeling safe and comfortable everywhere we...

Reply #4
Couldn't agree more with the above experts. My 96 runs like a champ and smooth as glass, especially after the new tires and centramatics. With only 107,000 miles, I expect she is good for much longer than I will be around for. A little tender...

Reply #5
John,  I have a 1998 U320 with the M11 motor.  Mine is a solid coach that I bought 3 years ago with 110k miles and now has 135k.  I have not had significant issues, but it was well maintained by previous owner.  I have probably spent $10k in the...

Reply #6
Get someone knowledgeable about Foretravels to do an inspection for you, then at least you will know up front about some of the repairs it may need. There will be other unforeseen issues for sure. If it has been maintained by the previous owners...

Reply #7
These old coaches are real Americana for me. Our coach will outrun me, I bet. That Irish Girl got better maintenance than I got! Much better build, too.

Those were high volume production years for FT. Good times. Great coaches.

Edit: Maybe twenty...

Reply #8
My '93 U300 is almost 26 years old. It has 203K miles on it. We bought it after an inspection that taught us it was well sorted. Any money that we've spent has been for tires, oil, filters, chasing down the expected air leaks and making it our...

Reply #9
Noooooo......my problem......love that DD

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

• Andy 2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Our 92 has 133,000 miles, the PO did a great job keeping it in good shape, when we bought it we did the general maintenance and tires. In the four years we have owned her minor problems and IAM able to all my own work.
So like the above post have...

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Never even knew the word " Foretravel " Parked next to Andy 2's '92. He told me that " you want one"......He was right. Love our FT.

Reply #12
John, probably a lot depends on the vehicle's previous care and your technical ability. We have been living fulltime in our coach with same engine, size and year for over 20 years, it looks like, and runs like new and we expect it is only at its...

Reply #13
Love my simple 89, but I am not full timing or even retired yet, and upgrades and or new preventive maintenance would be difficult on the road.

Reply #14
John : Looks like so far I am the oldest coach to weigh in so far. Mitch Rosen, maker of fine gun leather, uses the phrase " fit, finish, function" to describe his holsters and the phrase sums up perfectly the older Foretravels, especially the...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
We have the 8.3 12 valve 300 hp Cummins,235,000 miles,running good.

Reply #16
I'm thinking about buying a 1997 Foretravel Motorhome U295 36' with approximately 110,000 miles with a Cummins C8.3 325 HP engine. I'm a full timer and wondering how many more years of...

Reply #17
I concur with all of the above!  My 1994  Grandvilla  U300, has just a little over 65,000 miles on it. Prior to my purchase it had been owned by a man that owned a trucking company. It had been stored in an airconditioned garage in Florida. I...

Reply #18
I have had a Foretravel since I was in my 30's.  My current one is 4 builds from Jack Lewis's U295.  Mine has the 3126 CAT engine and as with the others here, I am more than pleased.  Have had no real issues as the prior owners were proactive. ...

Reply #19
Our 1993 U300 has a little over 100,000 miles and in a few days, we will be on our eleventh year of ownership. Lots of little improvements but less than one coach buck on things that have gone wrong. By far the biggest expenses have been the...

Reply #20
I have had a motor home since I was 23. My  first two motorhomes were a 23' & then a 26' GMC. I put the GMC up for sale and was sold in a few days. It then took me almost a year to find my next motorhome (I think I was older then 30 at the time,...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
I would rather have my 1994 Foretravel than a 2014 anything else.

Reply #22
With real estate it is location, location, location. But with a Foretravel, it's condition, condition, condition.
Chris

Reply #23
A customer I built a 1989 40" u280 SAI had 307k on that coach ten years ago and Cleo was giving the coach to his daughter to drive it more.

Reply #24
One of the measurements that I find amazing is how many owners are willing to put 20 or 30K into a 20+ year old coach. Such as elaborate solar systems, full body paint, complete interior remodels or major structural fixes ( bulkhead ). These...