Skip to main content
Topic: Foretravel Motorhomes with 20 or more years of service (Read 4120 times) previous topic - next topic

Foretravel Motorhomes with 20 or more years of service

I'm thinking about buying a 1997 Foretravel Motorhome U295 36' with approximately 110,000 miles with a Cummins C8.3 325 HP engine. I'm a full timer and wondering how many more years of service I could get from this motorhome.

I would like some feedback from Foretravel Motorhome owners with units that are over 20 years old and still going strong.

Thank You in Advance!!!!!

John

Re: Foretravel Motorhomes with 20 or more years of service

Reply #1
Well, we're fulltiming in a 1993. We've had some age-related issues, but the coach is sound and good for many more years. We've got  178,000 on the coach and about 12,000 on the rebuilt engine.

Reply #2
John,

If the coach has been taken care of in the past and you do the same your kids will have to get rid of it after your passing. The thing is have someone do an inspection for you that is familiar with the Foretravel brand. You need to realize there will be items that need to be fixed and items that you want to do/upgrade. (the key here is need or want)  Our present '97 is still going strong and the couple that bought our '92 is still using it and it had over 100,000 miles on it when we passed it on.

Pamela & Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #3
Our '93 was built 12 model numbers before David's (above) and it is still going strong at 190,000 miles.  Our C8.3 purrs like a kitten, and our coach runs down the road smooth as a Cadillac, and keeps us feeling safe and comfortable everywhere we go.  Wouldn't trade it for a new one for any reason.  Old Foretravel coaches are like fine wine...they just get better with age.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Couldn't agree more with the above experts. My 96 runs like a champ and smooth as glass, especially after the new tires and centramatics. With only 107,000 miles, I expect she is good for much longer than I will be around for. A little tender loving care and modifications to make it your own and you won't be disappointed. As with any older coach, check it out thoroughly first and realize that it is 20 years old and things will need fixing, either up front or as you go on down the line.

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #5
John,  I have a 1998 U320 with the M11 motor.  Mine is a solid coach that I bought 3 years ago with 110k miles and now has 135k.  I have not had significant issues, but it was well maintained by previous owner.  I have probably spent $10k in the three years on maintenance items and minor repairs.  Tire batteries, inverter, solar, etc.

There have been a few people here that had significant issues with this era coach.  Some on the order of $30k, so you do need to do your homework and be sure to have it inspected by some one knowledgeable.
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #6
Get someone knowledgeable about Foretravels to do an inspection for you, then at least you will know up front about some of the repairs it may need. There will be other unforeseen issues for sure. If it has been maintained by the previous owners and you don't mind doing small repairs yourself, the coach should make you a happy camper.

We bought our '95 with 87,000 and 3 years later it now has over 117,000. One trip to the northwest, one to the northeast and another to the southwest, from Florida, with no real issues. Not bad for a motorhome that is almost 24 years old, plus it rides better than most new ones on the market today.

Good Luck and Happy Trails!    ^.^d
Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #7
These old coaches are real Americana for me. Our coach will outrun me, I bet. That Irish Girl got better maintenance than I got! Much better build, too.

Those were high volume production years for FT. Good times. Great coaches.

Edit: Maybe twenty years of additional service (or until a Part Problem stops you for a while.) Guessing here. Cash helps.
Paul & Kathleen
1995 U320c SE 40'
Build 4681 --Cummins M11 /17511
"That Irish Girl"
Red MINI " 40"

Reply #8
My '93 U300 is almost 26 years old. It has 203K miles on it. We bought it after an inspection that taught us it was well sorted. Any money that we've spent has been for tires, oil, filters, chasing down the expected air leaks and making it our own. The DD 6V92 engine is just getting broken in.

The coach will outlive me and will be my kids problem.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #9
Noooooo......my problem......love that DD

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #10
Our 92 has 133,000 miles, the PO did a great job keeping it in good shape, when we bought it we did the general maintenance and tires. In the four years we have owned her minor problems and IAM able to all my own work.
So like the above post have it inspected and do your homework. Good luck and happy foretravling.
As a side note we have owned four different coach's and none have had the quality that this 92 U 300 Grand Villa has.
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #11
Never even knew the word " Foretravel " Parked next to Andy 2's '92. He told me that " you want one"......He was right. Love our FT.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #12
John, probably a lot depends on the vehicle's previous care and your technical ability. We have been living fulltime in our coach with same engine, size and year for over 20 years, it looks like, and runs like new and we expect it is only at its half-life point if that.

The advantage of this coach is its simplicity and common available parts. It has the advantage of no slides, electric toilet, Aquahot or electronic engine. Coach is lighter weight with less torque to stress components. Everything is fixable. Great coach to own and a wonderful home on wheels.

Just think, this engine only has two simple 12-volt circuits. One to open and shut off fuel that is easily manually controlled if it fails, and the second circuit to preheat intake manifold. How much simpler could an engine be? Engine easily drives our 30,000 pounds up all mountains and will likely never be a problem at any mileage or engine hours.

Reply #13
Love my simple 89, but I am not full timing or even retired yet, and upgrades and or new preventive maintenance would be difficult on the road.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #14
John : Looks like so far I am the oldest coach to weigh in so far. Mitch Rosen, maker of fine gun leather, uses the phrase " fit, finish, function" to describe his holsters and the phrase sums up perfectly the older Foretravels, especially the Grand Villa series, one of which I am the proud owner of. True I am blessed with only 75,000 miles and stored inside all it's life. Older Foretravels are rock solid, from running gear to trim details. Remember all the Foretravels at there date of build were, and are, considered the best in class of their time. Sure I have put some money into the rig. Solar, LEDS, tires, upgraded electronics, and all the other things we can't seem to live without but I am more than willing to do that to a rig with a solid foundation. Others on here are correct, when you find one be sure to have someone qualified take a good look at it. Just like buying an older house, you don't want to get termites and dry rot. Take your budget and buy an older Foretravel and dump the rest into upgrades to make it fit your purpose and style. You won't be sorry.
The Starship- 1990 Grandvilla Unihome U300 40ft
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
The Shuttlecraft- 2015 Ford Explorer
Steve ( N6EKV ) & Lori ( N6JTD ) Faries  w/ Marlee our precious pup.
Patterson CA.

Reply #15
We have the 8.3 12 valve 300 hp Cummins,235,000 miles,running good.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #16
I'm thinking about buying a 1997 Foretravel Motorhome U295 36' with approximately 110,000 miles with a Cummins C8.3 325 HP engine. I'm a full timer and wondering how many more years of service I could get from this motorhome.

I would like some feedback from Foretravel Motorhome owners with units that are over 20 years old and still going strong.

Thank You in Advance!!!!!

John

I bought (#5040), a 1997 U295 40" last July of 2017,  the most motorhome for the money spent both before and after.  Look forward to hearing from you after you make your purchase.  Not one regret on my purchase or the FT  as designed.  Up till last year, I sold high end motorhomes in Oregon, CA, and Arizona for one employer for 14 years, and have 48 years in the industry. 

One of my best friends, Dave Pdrlot, the son of the owner of Beaver, Safari, etc. who grew up in the industry, I overheard him say to a friend trading in his FT on a high end $400k Monaco in approx 2005,  "Before you do this, you do realize your FT is a better RV than what you are buying".  He replied to Dave, "I know, it is time, plus, your not selling FTs".  After I talked to Dave why he said that, he said Jack, go out and look at the FT he is trading in".  This was my first and most fortunate experience with FT.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #17
I concur with all of the above!  My 1994  Grandvilla  U300, has just a little over 65,000 miles on it. Prior to my purchase it had been owned by a man that owned a trucking company. It had been stored in an airconditioned garage in Florida. I have owned it for the last eleven (11) years, and 35,000 miles, only having to do updates and preventative maintenance.  I did not have the funds or the ability to keep it stored in an airconditioned structure like its previous owner.  So, "Like Me",  her skin is a little ruff on the outside but her "Bones" are still strong on the inside.  ^.^d
The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #18
I have had a Foretravel since I was in my 30's.  My current one is 4 builds from Jack Lewis's U295.  Mine has the 3126 CAT engine and as with the others here, I am more than pleased.  Have had no real issues as the prior owners were proactive.  We have spent the majority of the money on the coach on upgrades and getting things the way the DW wants them.  We are not afraid to start her up and go anywhere.  We keep her stored inside, plugged in, full of fuel, pretty much stocked and ready to go. No other make of coach for me.
John
John and Stacey Smith
Motorcade NO: 11973
1997 U295 CSGI 40'..Build No. 5036     
920 Watts on the roof..CAT Power w/fuel Inj. Programmer
2021 GMC Sierra AT4 1500
EX..2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Ex 1990 U280 RSAI 36'..Build No. 3638

Reply #19
Our 1993 U300 has a little over 100,000 miles and in a few days, we will be on our eleventh year of ownership. Lots of little improvements but less than one coach buck on things that have gone wrong. By far the biggest expenses have been the diesel and insurance. Like Gerry, it could be nicer on the outside but a great coach for camping and nice to drive. Looking forward to enjoying it many more years.

Piece
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #20
I have had a motor home since I was 23. My  first two motorhomes were a 23' & then a 26' GMC. I put the GMC up for sale and was sold in a few days. It then took me almost a year to find my next motorhome (I think I was older then 30 at the time, so John beat me on getting into Foretravels) and it was a Foretravel on a Dodge chassis. I then bought a Grand Villa that ended up burning up when my garage caught on fire.  Shortly after the fire in 2000 I went and bought another Foretravel the 1997 U295, which I currently still own.  I have now bought a 2014 IH45. At this time I do not plan on selling the 1997 which I have around 89,000 miles so I can still use it taking it to places the big one can not go.  How much longer will it last.  I have no idea but if past history is any indication then it will be still running in another 20 years.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #21
I would rather have my 1994 Foretravel than a 2014 anything else.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #22
With real estate it is location, location, location. But with a Foretravel, it's condition, condition, condition.
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #23
A customer I built a 1989 40" u280 SAI had 307k on that coach ten years ago and Cleo was giving the coach to his daughter to drive it more.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #24
One of the measurements that I find amazing is how many owners are willing to put 20 or 30K into a 20+ year old coach. Such as elaborate solar systems, full body paint, complete interior remodels or major structural fixes ( bulkhead ). These upgrades are common among Fortravel owners and I understand why.  The coaches were premium and ahead of there time when built and the same craftsmanship is hard to find in today's world.

I continue to jump into the newer coaches for a look see when opportunity comes along and I jump right back out with a deeper appreciation of my Foretravel EVERY time.        We bought our last coach first and to toss another 30k into it for upgrades seems well worth it. 

Bob n Sue
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR