Skip to main content
Topic: Foretravel motorcade change (Read 3442 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Foretravel motorcade change

Reply #50
I think our chapter in the PNW region is on life support and the cord is half unplugged. Just got an email from the chapter and not even enough showed up at the last meeting to have a vote for officers and two officers resigned.

Granted the PNW is a very large geo area with a sparse coach population.

This is a common theme for all clubs. At one time i was President, Vice President, Competition chairman and Facebook page moderator for our photo club. Even with 30 members. I could'nt get anyone to raise their hand to help. So when we started our RV trip in November. I told them that I won't even be in the state for months. Still no one stepped up. They still don't have a president. So the motorcade isn't alone in their dilemma.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #51
Bigdog, "This is a common theme for all clubs". So true.  Only a few years ago a high end manufacturers club, that has sold mutiples of the rvs Foretravel has, was having their annual get togeather on the Oregon coast.  I volunteered as a salesman to attend and work our display there.  I was told, no, we already have two salesman going, we are only taking two rVs to display, and the club only reserved 14 spots for attendees, and at this time only 12 can go. Four of the twelve had bought new rvs in the previous 12 months.

This is why all that can participate, should.  I appreciate this forum alot, we have a gem of participants, whom have saved my butt more than once.

I'll continue to support anything with the name Foretravel attached, as I know the value.  I also value my FMCA membership and will continue my membership, even though I'm unlikely to attend any of their get togeathers, that being said, my attendance could change, my support not.

Bigdog, my employer gave a free first year membership to FMCA to all our customers and renewed for a year if they already belonged.  A sign of the times, so many said "no, we would never participate".
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #52
I see no reason that many of the suggestions here...unrallies for example, can't be part of the club after we own it. 
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Reply #53
I was very active in the club and really enjoyed our rallies. The last one I hosted as president if our chapter had 33 coaches out of 55 total show up.  We made it worthwhile.  We had tech talks, fun and onetrip to see the area we were in. Then FT sales started to crater. The new IH owners were not interested in the club. Look how many we have on here, very few.  So as the older owners took their coaches to MOT to sell we had less in the mid Atlantic and North Atlantic chapters. The PNW has always been small but they had a store there so I wonder.  Kodak sold the most coaches after TX but when they were no longer a factory store the writing was on the wall for many chapters. Our membership kept shrinking year by year as people downsized or left the RV lifestyle all together. Foretravel was late to the party with a smaller coach so that hurt as well.  I know 6 people who downsizedout of FT altogether.  I have been on the board of directors a number of years and have been chapter president and vice president.  I let my membership go after being a member since 2002.  Foretravel did it's best to push us people out who were their coach owners. Heck one of their former motorcade directors has a Born free as well. They did say if you have ten years you can stay in but the fact is it is not the same.  I wish the club every success but fear for its survival. Look at the pictures and the ages and you will see it is getting older. I joined at39 and was the youngest owner at the time. Many of my foretravel friends I made thru the club are dear friends but are aging out.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #54
Understand what you mean John,Elks clubs and KC's are facing the same thing,the younger crowd seems to just want to talk
and text on social media and not phisically get involved in things.Think we can probably get a few informal forum rallies going.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #55
Oh, how I wish I could keep my mouth/fingers quiet on this one! But, it seems I can't so here goes.
There are a lot of folks who choose not to participate in rallies because of the cost, the location, their own finances, health issues, and for some, work commitments.
Perfect example is the FMCA rally in Georgia. Why would I, or someone even further away, drive from here in Wisconsin to Perry for a few days and have to make a reservation so far in advance that it is unlikely we could attend due to my cancer followups and finances.
Obviously everyone has different preferences and interests. Every rally or group cannot cater to everyone, and usually the organization's leaders are led from the rear by a very few individuals who have their interests.
Our KC and Moose club, Elks clubs have virtually disappeared up here.
Want to go dancing after you have attended one of the two dance studios here in town? Good luck with that!! Bars do not allow dancing, the city frowns and won't issue licenses because of the violence that has occurred at these places.
We have to plan our outings, now that we are in our mid-seventies, around medical schedules and finances. In case no one has noticed, our COLA that we seniors get every once in awhile, has not kept up with the costs of fuel and other expenses.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #56
My wife and I are 60/61 and we feel young when looking at pictures from motorcade events. We prefer less structured un-Rally's, I guess we are good  examples why the program is suffering.

That said I think FT is making a mistake by turning this marketing and support opportunity loose. It's a captive audience. Didn't FT once buy a coach manufacturer to get its hands on their travel group? I thought I read that once.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #57
My wife and I are 60/61 and we feel young when looking at pictures from motorcade events. We prefer less structured un-Rally's, I guess we are good  examples why the program is suffering.

That said I think FT is making a mistake by turning this marketing and support opportunity loose. It's a captive audience. Didn't FT once buy a coach manufacturer to get its hands on their travel group? I thought I read that once.
It was the Motorcade they were after at the time.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #58
As far as having rallies, we have a great rally in the desert in Jan. We had 36 coach's this year as far as I know we all had a great time.
It may not be for everyone because we have no potlucks or meetings but hey we have a good time and we had a bunch of first timers and they all are looking forward to next year.
Just enjoying the foretravel experience and sharing our knowledge and helping with what we can.😎
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #59
As new owners we're going to join, not sure what benefits we may or may not use, we're probably more of un-rally folks so probably won't be to active,  If nothing else our dues show support for the club.
Bill and Marsha Kuykendall
1999 Foretravel U320 36' CAI
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #60
As a new owner you will get a lot out of it and you will be able to meet a lot of other owners and look at lots of coaches. So for you it is probably a good idea.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #61
I paid my dues, and I don't have a coach at present.  I will find one of the 29 or 30ft  with twin beds for my Toy for short trips.
Jimmy Freytag,  Ardmore, Ok
1999 36ft U320. — -SOLD—-
1988 40ft GV        1990 36ft U280
1993 40ft U280      1996 36ft U280
  TRAVEL WHILE YOU CAN THE TIME WILL COME
            WHEN YOU NO LONGER CAN.