Skip to main content
Topic: Plug socket size (Read 831 times) previous topic - next topic

Plug socket size

This should not be difficult but I have a double ended socket wrench 3/4 and 13/16 and neither one wants to grab on to the plug on my 1987 gv 6.5 lp generator. Hopefully someone can shed some light for me. Maybe I need to tap in on instead to trying to push it on

In addition I have a shower Dr with a roller off on top and 1 on bottom. Cannot get the rollers back in the grove.looks like the shower door may have been put in with frame as a unit. Thanks.and wishing all happy holidays
Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t
2013 tundra crew cab lift

Re: Plug socket size

Reply #1
5/8 ths maybe ?
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.

Reply #3
3/4 = 12/16
5/8 = 10/16

If 3/4 is too small and 13/16 is too big the 5/8 is way too small. I wonder if it might be metric. Try a 20mm wrench.

Reply #4
Those plugs take a 5/8 inch plug socket
previous 1984 35 ft ORED 250 HP 3208 Cat       
previous 1998 40 ft U295 CAI 325 hp Cummins
previous 2003 40 Ft u320 build #6140 450 Cummins M11.                                                         
1999 Mazda Miata
Ron, Nancy, Tipper the cat, Max The dog
1997 U 270 36 ft build number 5174 8.3 Cummins

Reply #5

Is 'plug' a spark plug or drain plug? Spark plugs may need a 'spark plug wrench' with a thin wall deep socket with a rubber inset to hold the spark plug.

Amazon.com: TEKTON 14203 3/8-Inch Drive by 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket: Home...

Buy the replacement plug and fit a socket wrench to it to learn the socket size needed.

Reply #6
All good responses and suggestions. Thanks again
Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t

Reply #7
This should not be difficult but I have a double ended socket wrench 3/4 and 13/16 and neither one wants to grab on to the plug on my 1987 gv 6.5 lp generator. Hopefully someone can shed some light for me. Maybe I need to tap in on instead to trying to push it on

In addition I have a shower Dr with a roller off on top and 1 on bottom. Cannot get the rollers back in the grove.looks like the shower door may have been put in with frame as a unit. Thanks.and wishing all happy holidays
please do not take this personally. but if you need to ask a question like this ,you should not be doing your own work. nothing to be ashamed of,every one has different aptitudes. in my case i'm way ahead to put extra time in the shop and hire a carpenter. again not a personal attack.

Reply #8
I was always taught , practice makes perfect!!

You will never learn if you don't try and there are no dumb questions.. now the last one I can argue as I have heard some pretty dumb questions in life lol.. but you will never succeed if you don't at least try..

Go to the store and buy some standard wrenches and metric.. I'm sure you will find the right size.. if not ... find the monkey wrench and use it..

Reply #9
The best answer was to get the new spark plug and match a socket to it,try and use the full name for things,some of us are
borderline dememtia.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #10
Spark plugs as well as 99.9% of bearings are metric. Use a deep thin wall socket. Best if it's for spark plugs and has the rubber insert inside.

Blame the Statue of Liberty for the metric sizes. (French).

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #11
again not a personal attack.

Sure sounds like one to me.
jor

Reply #12
No stupid questions on this forum! Everyone wore diapers at one time.

Spark plug threads are also metic.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
things we have seen in our shop , done by people who are sure they know what they are doing
brake pads in backwards.(backing plate against  rotor both wheels btw
stripped oil drain plugs.  several
a timing belt installed with no knowledge of timing marks. on an interference engine. lots of bent valves
lug nuts on backwards
lots and lots of air cleaner housings improperly installed allowing dirt in the motor( usually has a K and N installed LOL)
used to see a lot of crossed plug wires
the list goes on.  i will always help someone wanting to save few bucks if the are capable.
but some people are just not mechanically inclined.  like i'm tone deaf. no amount of instruction will help.
a good friend is a veterinarian, outstanding at his profession. i swear if he has a bolt in one hand and the nut in the other he is incapable of connecting the two.
also most plugs take either a 5/8 ,3/4 ,13/16 or 9/16  on the hex .threads are metric. i believe red tractor is right at 5/8

Reply #15
In the past, I have complained about newbies, coming here, to the best, friendliest, most helpful forum on the internet, and trying to tell us what we should change. I will not do that now. However, I will point out to newbies that we do not tolerate personal attacks, no matter how many times they try to explain that it is not really a personal attack.

Trent
{A secret superhero)
Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #16
I should have just asked the forum what size plug wrench is required for a 1987 gv 6.5 onan lp generator. Then I could have prevented all this drama for the fine folks on this forum.  Should I have bought a bunch of plug wrenches hoping for the right size or just ask this experienced foretravel forum knowing someone would have the ans? I do know there are a number of individuals that don't know the appropriate plug wrench for my generator so I did not feel bad asking. I have always received very good advice from this forum some info given is just blunt and I just carry on. I always say thank you for your input
Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t

Reply #17
No worries Bigfoot, Just keep asking questions the good folks here will always try to help.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #18
No worries some have nothing more going on than the sideways answer they give..

I don't have an 87 but I'm learning also

Reply #19
Realized you were talking about the socket size after I read the post. While the threaded part is metric in diameter and threads, any deep socket that fits will work. 3/4" is the same as 19mm and 9/16" is 14mm, etc, etc. Just read the plug type and go to NAPA for the socket. They will steer you in the right direction.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #20
Then I could have prevented all this drama for the fine folks on this forum.

Balderdash! (whatever that means?

There is only one person responsible for "this drama," and it was NOT you.

Please do not become intimidated by quick-fingered responses; that is definitely NOT what this forum is all about.

Don't make me bring up my story about what "one of the top five diesel engine mechanics in the United States" did to my Foretravel.

Welcome and enjoy the rest of the forum members.

Trent
Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #21
I learned a long time ago that what one says to another person to their face can elicite a totally different response compared to a typed communication.
I love to pull someone's leg and crack jokes with someone I know well enough to do it. But I always tell them I wouldn't insult them unless I liked them and they were present, just so they can retaliate. And boy, do they ever!! Life is too short to bother with those sourpusses among us that don't seem to want to have anyone enjoy life.
Fortunately, this Forum is comprised of folks who just want to help, mostly because they were in the same "boat" when they first got started with their Foretravel.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #22
Yep 5/8 was the socket size. Thanks to Red Tractor and the rest of you
 See how easy it is. Ask a question and get an ans just like that. Best RV forum there is. Keep the help coming, if it is this easy I will not have to hire it out, I can stay in the shop and use more of my sofisticated tools
 Lol. See you in Q site

Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t

Reply #23
If you need to do it.... Chances are its already been done by someone.. Most if not all are willing to help.. even physically when needed ^.^d