Skip to main content

Topic: Toads Towed.... what happened here ?? (Read 849 times) previous topic - next topic

Toads Towed.... what happened here ??
 This was posted on an RV FB page....

He made it to the RV park check-in and had not noticed the Saturn was missing. We found it on the exit ramp of the Trans Canada Hiway
He had pulled the car for about 6 years, No Problem so, check you baseplate...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Toads Towed.... what happened here ??
Reply #1
This was posted on an RV FB page....

He made it to the RV park check-in and had not noticed the Saturn was missing. We found it on the exit ramp of the Trans Canada Hiway
He had pulled the...

Reply #2

• Andy 2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Makes a back up camera pretty important ya think!😎

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I had a cheap bumper on the Jeep.. added a spot to connect the tow bar.. 1st couple ties not to bad.. after about the 5th noticed some movement .. tabs were shearing from the back and forth on the thin plate. Removed the bumper and added supports...

Reply #5
I had a cheap bumper on the Jeep.. added a spot to connect the tow bar.. 1st couple ties not to bad.. after about the 5th noticed some movement .. tabs were shearing from the back and forth on...

Reply #6
We have a mid 2000  automatic Ford Escape 4 x 2... FWD until you engage the 4WD... but has to be towed on trailer or tow dolly....  we will buy a dolly to tow the Escape starting this...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I leave the backup camera on all the time when towing. I can see both tow bars and the electric cord easily.

Some years ago a trucker towing two trailers stopped at the weigh station. He was surprised to find out that he was a LOT lighter than he...

Reply #8
This is a good example of why we need to have a aux brake in the car. Hopefully he did, and that is why he found it on a exit ramp in one piece.
Told this before. Once I came out to go to lunch from work. Saw a tag trailer come loose, go across a...

Reply #9
We have had an almost first-hand experience with the same story...

Stopped in a Newfoundland parking lot, a person walks over to say he 'had' an identical 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same BlueOx baseplate, and wanted to 'warn' me about what...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Had a good friend that had a later model Grand Cherokee that had 2 episodes with tow brackets and frame ends ( the frame had been reinforced) The third time the wrecker dropped it, and that was the end of that.

Reply #11
Anytime one of my compartment doors pops open, someone drives up along side to let me know.  Hard to believe drivers thought this was normal or wouldn't bother.

Reply #12
Last year, 2018, I was hooking up our 2013 Subaru Outback and noticed play in my baseplate.  Looked at it closer and it appeared one of the locking nuts was loose.  This Blue Ox baseplate had been professionally installed 5 years ago by a...

Reply #13
By law (and for safety), safety chains need to be hooked somewhere else on the frame of toad. I have long ones which I attach behind the steering box on our 02' wrangler.
Again, an aux brake with Breakaway, will stop the loose car for the most...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
A few years ago we were heading for the  Laredo border crossing in Mexico and took a wrong turn and finished up in the commercial truck exit. Police came over and helped me out of these lanes and back on to highway so I could drive back to the...

Reply #15
These stories are an eye opener for me. I have been leaning to getting a trailer to tow with. I think that my mind is being pushed that way even farther.  Thanks for the heads up.

Larry

Reply #16
Larry, towing 4 down is by far the easiest way to do it.   I believe the caution here is to check the equipment periodically and be sure everything is secure.  There have been many times we wouldn't have had a place for a trailer.   It's such a...

Reply #17
   Imagine his surprise when discovering his
toad was gone..,

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Larry, I've seen trailer hitches pop off of the ball, so there isn't a foolproof method of towing. The key, as has been mentioned, is checking things constantly. You ought to know what should and should not move. If something moves, and it...

Reply #19
A racing aquaintance always towed his wife's caddilac four down. In New Hampshire the ball broke off the hitch the car came loose and snapped the safety chains off and he saw it enter the ditch in his mirror. Complete write off with all the rocks...

Reply #20
A system is only as good as it's weakest link. All
points need to be inspected for metal fatigue, after a trips as modern vehicles have very little  "what if' metal in them, and we're never designed to be towed. Base plate people can only guess...

Reply #21
That is one advantage to a truck type frame, the baseplate on my Tahoe and Silverado attaches directly to the frame where the factory tow hooks attach.  Much stronger than formed sheet metal on most cars.  But the downside is the size and weight.

Reply #22
Our blue ox base plates used existing bolt locations on our Jeep Cherokee and each has a big heavy cable that goes through the base plate and around a frame member.  Safety cables connect base plates to the OEM hitch.  Lots of stuff has to fail...

Reply #23
These stories are an eye opener for me. I have been leaning to getting a trailer to tow with. I think that my mind is being pushed that way even farther.  Thanks for the heads up.

Larry

Larry I...

Reply #24
Chris depending on which SxX you have the truck is a better option IMO.  I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 4x4 extended cab with 6.5' bed which will fit my Rzr 570 in the bed with the rear wheels on the tailgate.  Previously I had a 2004 Z71 extended...