Skip to main content
Topic: You can level a GV with kick-downs, but not a coach with air bags? (Read 680 times) previous topic - next topic

You can level a GV with kick-downs, but not a coach with air bags?

When Bigdog was next to us, he had a failed attempt to level, where we were fine. What do you 'bag people' do when you're on a slope?
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Re: You can level a GV with kick-downs, but not a coach with air bags?

Reply #1
Add planks to the low side.. I have some 4x4 I carry for this reason, double stack if needed.

Reply #2
I have found that raising the coach manually and then leveling often overcomes that problem. The HWH systems always lowers the high end first so you have more leveling capability if you start high. The downside is your entry step may be higher off the ground than you like.
jor

Reply #3
What do you 'bag people' do when you're on a [excessively steep] slope?
Move.    :dance:
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Still the best idea! In the 'early days', I made three 'lifts' out of 2 x 10s about three feet long, beveled, with a second 2 x 10 screwed on top, so I could pull up and get 1 1/2" lift or, by pulling forward, get a extra 1 1/2". After that, moved.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #5
We camped at the same place as Red Tractor a couple of years ago (by accident) and found he had a good solution for that particular campground at that time. We parked parallel to the road, rather than perpendicular to it, because of the slope. The air bags can easily handle six inches of slope in eight feet, but turned 90* would have been more like 24" of slope.

I carry a bunch of 2x8 planks for leveling if needed (a half-dozen times in five years) or for putting under the tires when I need to park on grass (a couple of times in five years). If it looks like we'll need the extra boards I'll get on them before even trying to level.

When we've landed I get out and check. If I'm satisfied I plug in the electric cord and put the tire covers on. Then I can shut off the generator and level. Unless it is a really odd situation, I let the HWH system level it automatically and then have Jo Ann watch a bubble level while I tweak it. I don't mind being a bit tail high, but I really want to be dead on side-to-side. That keeps the pocket doors closed while the bathroom is is use.

Reply #6
I 'tweak' my kick-downs, as well.  I've found two things that work for me: (A) Giving a small downward slant on the port side gives me a better drain for the tanks. (B) What I get with the tweak over to the port, is my mid entry door opens and closes perfect ! ^.^d
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #7
After we had HWH repair our leveling system (new pump, motor and reservoir--comes as a unit) and we got home I discovered that some dumbass (no names here please) had placed a box under the couch that "leaned slightly" on the sensor unit. Needless to say that after the box was removed leveling was way, way off. I called Lon at HWH, got the info on adjusting the sensor, and proceeded to level the coach so that the bathroom door, fridge door, and entry door would stay in whatever position I set them at.
Love the leveling system now.
When I do a dump I raise the passenger side all the way. Can you imagine the looks we get when folks see the coach tipped??
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #8
We use 2 of these cut into 12" wide strips and varied length.  No splinters, impervious to water.  We also have a stack of CW leveling blocks.  4 ft. x 6 ft. x 3/4 in. Thick Rubber Stall Mat at Tractor Supply Co.

Although a couple of years ago we had the back drivers jacked up 8" on wood. 
Scott & Carol Seibert
2001 42' double slide U320 - Sold
Previous - 2002 36' U320

Reply #9
I carry 4 4x12 18" long wood blocks of that won't do it I'll move. I do find it necessary to use them quite often.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #11
  :)  ;)  :)  :)  :)
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #12
And then they crawl underneath! See "women live longer" at the oops list

Reply #13
May have to add some blocks to my coach must have
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake