Skip to main content

Topic: preferred tires ? (Read 917 times) previous topic - next topic

preferred tires ?
Replaced the front tires last spring when we purchased '96 40' U320.  Ready to replace my rear duals.  Anyone have a preference or recommendations

Re: preferred tires ?
Reply #1
Best answer from me is to get tires that fit and are rated for the weight of your coach.  Lot's of people have a brand preference but getting good quality tires to do the job you want is important, so do your homework.  Not having any more...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
I run YOKOHOMAs on the MH and all cars and the pickup.  My experience is that they don't get flat spots as bad when setting for some time.  They run quietly and and smoothly.  They don't have the sidewall give in the corners like some other...

Reply #3
I like steer or all position tires with a minimum flex sidewall. Search for brand reviews.

Pierce

Reply #4
If the coach has not been weighed on all four corners with normal fuel/fluids and 'stuff', it's a moot point. ^.^d

Reply #5
Airbag pressure (ride height adjusters) on right and left rear will change weights all around the coach including the front L&R. Only one height adjuster up front. I have never weighted the coach.

Pierce

Reply #6
Last year I bought Continentals through the FMCA tire program and saved over $100.00 each off the discount Michelin program.
They now have Hankook tires available.
Bill  

Reply #7
Michelin via FMCA discount, replace them about every 7 years. Stay with original size, always use load range H.

Reply #8
Every uni whatever that Foretravel built since 1988 had Michelin tires on it.

Reply #9
Every uni whatever that Foretravel built since 1988 had Michelin tires on it. 
We still run them: a upgraded 255/80R/ 22.5 made for RV use. We run 85 psi in the bow and 80 in the stern. Do...

Reply #10
I noticed my XZA-3+'s lower rolling resistance has me using the brakes or retarder more than with the XZA-1's that were on the coach.  They slowed the coach down more when coasting. 

Noticeable improvement in ride quality, handling, noise and...

Reply #11
Lots of excellent tires on the market. I just don't like Michelin's soft flex sidewall. I also like the lower profile that 295/75s have while keeping the same diameter. All things equal, wider tires stop, corner better plus were are only talking...

Reply #12
The trouble with buying at "Bubba's Discount Tires' are many: you don't have a choice of fresh tires; they may not be able to 'force balance', they may not have new aluminum valve stems, dual seal caps and wheel studs. They may also not have the...

Reply #13
They may also not have the tools or the knowledge to properly torque them!  :facepalm:
As owner/operator, the knowledge is YOUR responsibility. Anyone who lets a shop torque their wheels is asking...

Reply #14
The Michelin side wall was designed to shred at zero pressure to allow the tire to come down onto the tread belt.  No flip flopping.

Othefr brands went to a stiff sidewall as a way to control the vechile so as not to lose steering control.

Works...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
I think the biggest problem with small tire stores is getting current Date codes on the tires.

Reply #16
Just remember to keep foot off brake and quickly go full throttle when that tire blows out. . .

Same rule if any wheel position blow or if driving car or motorhome.

Reply #17
                          Been reading all these opinions about tires .  This got me interested to do some checking , so I Phoned   Prevost ,and  Newell  , which   do Michelin tires only .  The Newell guy said " we use Michelin because they are...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
I'm far from a tire expert, but I'll share my experience, too.

When we bought our coach the previous owner said that the tires were all pretty new. A check of the front tires confirmed that. After I drove 300 miles home (second time driving a MH...

Reply #19
I replaced my michelins with toyos this year. I'm glad I did. The toyos are much better handling especially on bad road surfaces. I like the toyos a lot.

Reply #20
I replaced my michelins with toyos this year. I'm glad I did. The toyos are much better handling especially on bad road surfaces. I like the toyos a lot.
We did the same on our 36' last year...

Reply #21
Me too.

Reply #22
Most threads like this should define "preferred" IMO.

are you asking for our opinion of what might be the same overall quality as the oem Michelins but at a savings in price?

Most "price" threads here seem to be owners wanting less expensive. ...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
I think ford had an issue a few years ago where they thought they had a great tire to put under a few of their SUV.. didnt turn out to well for them so OEM isnt always the best... sometimes money is the great motivator.

WHo would have thought...

Reply #24
like I posted here I have driven hundreds of diesel coaches.  Made a game of NOT looking at what tires were in the coach just to see if I could tell the difference and positively identify the brand tires just by driving it.

Almost all the brands...