Skip to main content

Topic: Air Leak Near the Aux Air Compressor (Read 704 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Leak Near the Aux Air Compressor
We were in Nac for the Ladies Driving School in early Nov.  On the way there, the aux air compressor started cycling more than usual.  While at FOT we had them trouble shoot the air fittings and replace as needed.  Cost us ~ $400 for this.  Two...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Air Leak Near the Aux Air Compressor
Reply #1
From proximity of pump - likely a one way check valve, so air can flow only in one direction. 

Leak is likely in fitting/ferrule, not the check valve itself, but the connection on the end. Should be a relatively simple fix, others will chime in...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
We were in Nac for the Ladies Driving School in early Nov.  On the way there, the aux air compressor started cycling more than usual.  While at FOT we had them trouble shoot the air...

Reply #3
Try this before you replace the fitting.

Where the leak is, push in (toward fitting) with the black tube, then simultaneously push the grey ring in (toward the fitting) while you pull out on the black tube.  They make a special tool for this, but...

Reply #4
I've found it best to replace the push-on fitting with a compression ferrule fitting wherever possible.
Push-on fittings will cause problems after years of service.  But yes a quick fix to try is to cut the end off and try to insert the new end...

Reply #5
Thanks to all for your help.  Wondering if I could just replace the short piece of plastic hose with copper tubing and appropriate fittings?  I prefer flare fittings to compression. 

Reply #6
There are a lot of quick connect fittings on your coach, so why just change one to a flare fitting?  The fitting may be fine and even if it has failed it lasted 16 years and has a simple fix. 

I personally wouldn't go to the trouble making/using...

Reply #7
I personally wouldn't go to the trouble making/using flare fittings...
X2.  Properly installed push-on fittings work great, and nylon tubing is commonly used for pressurized air lines in...

Reply #8
Reference the picture in my original post:  What Is This?  I found out the item is a 1-way check valve with the air traveling away from the leak in the fitting at the bottom of the valve.  I also discovered air leaking out the solenoid valve at...

Reply #9
I also discovered air leaking out the solenoid valve at the bottom of the glass bowl when the aux compressor was off.
 I then thought air was leaking backwards from the 1-way check valve. ...

Reply #10
If you are a motorcade member call James T and he will send you air diagram for your coach if you would like one.
Air can be vexing, but it is straight forward to work on. How far are your from NAC. I have not had consistent good luck dealing...

Reply #11
 "But you can fix leaks one day and have more a few days down the road. "

Same goes for Vacuum leaks, only harder to find !

Reply #12
David,

Just have had time to pull the air prints for your coach. You should have another in line check valve at the discharge side of the air dryer (the thing with the glass bowl)  According to the prints it is a closed nipple check valve that is...

Reply #13
Here is an air system for the 2003 U320 with a tag.  I have a detail for the compressor but I can't find it.  I will keep looking.

Make sure this drawing is applicable to your coach.  There is a box with the starting build number in it in the...

Reply #14
A great big thank you to all for your concern and help.  We are "camped" at Nellis AFB in N. Las Vegas NV and have been since the end of Nov.  We had hoped to travel to the Foretravel gathering in Quartzsite the middle of this month, but that's...

Reply #15
David,
This sounds like 6 good reasons to bail out and go to Q.  There will be others there that should be able to help you get some of these things patched up.

Mike

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
A great big thank you to all for your concern and help.  We are "camped" at Nellis AFB in N. Las Vegas NV and have been since the end of Nov.  We had hoped to travel to the Foretravel...

Reply #17
Thanks for the offer of a replacement water pump.  Ordered a new one from Amazon immediately when the other one failed.  Couldn't afford to delay since the park will lose water service for 5 days.  Water will be shut off in ~ 5 min.  New water...

Reply #18
If you manually level the coach and then turn the system off does the coach stay level? If it does then forget about auto level. I always had to manually level the coach because auto level will not level the same every time and I wanted my doors...

Reply #19
I can manually level the coach, but with the air leak, the coach only stays level for about 10 minutes.  We found the auto level when it worked, not all that accurate.  I'm kind of OCD about level, wanting the toilet room and shower doors to stay...

Reply #20
Let me recap the air leak problem.  After we arrived in Las Vegas I noticed the aux pump was running more than normal.  When the pump cycled off I could hear air slowly leaking so sprayed some windex on fittings around the pump.  Discovered air...

Reply #21
First picture, middle arrow.  See post #3 for guidance on fixing the leak in the fitting.  Don't know about the other leak you show.

Rich

Reply #22
Problem 3 - washer leaking water, flooded the coach and ruined the water pump.

From your list #3 seems the most serious. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Did the washer itself leak, or...

Reply #23
I will start a new topic on the washer to explain the "flood".

Reply #24
David, did you ever fix the problem with the HWH 1 way check valve at the manifold on photo #3? If so, was the install difficult and do you have the part number? I now have the same problem. Once the aux compressor turns off, it's leaking out of...