Skip to main content

Topic: Fender removal, specifically belt trim on 2001 U320 (Read 751 times) previous topic - next topic

Fender removal, specifically belt trim on 2001 U320
Predicting that I will need to remove a fender or two to access the shock bolts without having a spider monkey assist from below.

Does anyone have specific step-by-step procedures and/or pictures for removing and replacing the belt line trim strip...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Fender removal, specifically belt trim on 2001 U320
Reply #1
They took my wheels off and could reach the shocks pretty easy. You are going to have to pull the aluminum strip off and then find all the screws holding the fender in. There are a number of them and in the rear you will have to remove some of...

Reply #2
If the wheels are off you can get to the bolts pretty good. I changed one side with the wheels on and the other with the wheels off and should have removed the wheels on both sides. I had to get creative on one side as someone had added a...

Reply #3
I replaced all shocks and air bags without removing the fenders.  I do not want to mess with that beltline unless it's absolutely necessary.

Reply #4
I'm with Travelin Man.  Best to avoid disturbing this strip if possible.  Pretty significant re caulking job getting it neat when replacing.

Reply #5
And full body paint makes it worse.

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I talked to Biscuit (paint guy at FOT) and he said just go careful and DON'T bend it! I want to pull mine and replace bay door hinges. Will be watching this thread.

see ya
ken

Reply #7
Predicting that I will need to remove a fender or two to access the shock bolts without having a spider monkey assist from below.

Does anyone have specific step-by-step procedures and/or pictures...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Our coach has full body paint and I have removed the trim strips many times for fender removal and they go back perfectly. The first time doing it you just use a sharp blade to cut thru the paint and when replacing it run a fine line of clear...

Reply #9
Thanks Ken and John for addressing my OP.  John, got any pictures?  Milwaukee M18 2767-22 rattle gun showed up yesterday.  Will get to work as soon as it warms up and quits raining.   >:(   Woody.

p.s. I will not pull wheels off in the desert.  Nuff...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Do not have any pictures of trim etc, but once it is off there are just a few countersunk head screws holding each panel on. There will be a bottom bracket that needs to be realeased and should be done first. There will also be vertical screws...

• ratbug
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #11
Keep track of the screw length and locationof the short ones when removing trim and panels.  I had two different length screws that broke off if I tried to run in the longer screws in the wrong spot!!!     It was a couple years back when I did...

Reply #12
To me not taking the fenders off is mistake

If I'm not mistaken it's a lot of unnecessary work (at least in my case).

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
As far as screw length goes what I do is put a piece of painters tape above the hole a short screw came out of. I only had 2 different lengths of screws.
On the comment by TMAN,  a few of us do not have the dexterity any more(back issues etc) to...

Reply #14
I hadn't considered back issues John.  You have my deepest sympathy.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Yes spine surgery in 76 because of fractured vertebrae  and removal of 2 discs. Last few years have been fairly good but  still cannot get under coach to fix those sort of issues, that is why I put in the pit.
I am back in the pool and gym every...

Reply #16
Status update.  Fenders...been there and done that.  Piece of cake.

The Milwaukee 2767 is an awesome tool!  It's compact enough that I could put it onto all the front shock nuts with an deep 1 1/8" socket, and with a combo wrench on the bolt side,...

Reply #17
Final shock/fender update:  Finally was able to remove the RTV glued on left rear fender with 3 flexible putty knives and a lot of finesse.  All shocks now replaced and the ride improvement is noticeable and worth every penny and pint of blood. 

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
So glad you found it is a good idea to have fenders off and I have been trying to get others to understand that. Glad it worked out for you, and you can get to do other things while they are off.
John H

Reply #19
Thanks so much for your write up. I was under my U270 this afternoon and thought fender removal was the way to go for airbag replacement. Short arms, weak back and neck.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Realm coy,  I did that for changing the rear bags and had them out and new in in record time, plus I cleaned and painted all the framing etc while fender was off.
JohnH