Skip to main content

Topic: Gas water heater (Read 470 times) previous topic - next topic

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Gas water heater
Been messing with the Atwood water heater for the last 2 mos. it will light and run 2-5 min the shut off then do it all over. Other times it will when cold it will start and run fine. It has a dinosaur board, the jet is clean, the grounds have...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Gas water heater
Reply #1
One more thing to check is propane pressure. You might also pull the propane line at the water heater turn propane on and listen at the line. If you hear gurgling you probably have  oil in the line back at the propane tank.

see ya
ken

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
One more thing to check is propane pressure. You might also pull the propane line at the water heater turn propane on and listen at the line. If you hear gurgling you probably have  oil in the...

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Barry you could have  a touchy switch on your kitchen cabinet if the contact is getting weak it could be playing with you also. Not necessarily the heater itself.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I will check the gas line. I going to assume the regulator is good as all other gas appliances work fine.

Reply #5
I will check the gas line. I going to assume the regulator is good as all other gas appliances work fine.
Do you use a water softener, Brucie?

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Do you use a water softener, Brucie?
I do Mike, and flush the tank out a couple times a year.

Reply #7
I'd forgotten: last year the hwh was 'cycling' on & off: sometimes it would work and then........a smart tech found the problem: a fuse/breaker. Replaced........hot water on demand!  ^.^d

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Mike that is not a fuse in the normal sense, it is a resister that acts like one and acts to sense any back flame from burner tube. The way to check if it is faulty is disconnect that wire and hook it up to bypass the themostat wire etc and if...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Well now, water heater is working fine. The gremlins must have left don't know. We'll see.

Reply #10
Well now, water heater is working fine. The gremlins must have left don't know. We'll see.
Time for a new Moho to go along with that cool Jeep dude.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Time for a new Moho to go along with that cool Jeep dude.
Haven't hit the lottery yet 🌵😎👍🍺. Thought about coming your way to talk about fuel lines later this summer, as you are a man with...

Reply #12
Yup, Iearned it was not a fuse, in the true sense, and my guy said it's common problem and a lot of people replace the board without results. Cost a big $18.00!  ^.^d [
add on: found the invoice, my tech called it a "Atwood Cut-off'.

Reply #13
That fuse is a thermal fuse. It blows when it reaches its rated temperature. I carry a bag of replacements after suffering multiple failures. The cause was the air adjustment for the flame was out of whack. All fixed now.

Bypassing the fuse is an...

Reply #14
My hot water heater was doing strange and UN-predictable things due to a faulty switch.  I replaced that sw and all is fine so far.  Have a great day   ----  Fritz

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Replaced the ignition/sense assembly, all seams to be good.