Skip to main content
Topic: If you fix something, you break something else. (Read 985 times) previous topic - next topic

If you fix something, you break something else.

Took the coach into Oregon Motor Coach for some general service. Air leaks in suspension, clean and service reefer and heaters, batteries check.
Nice folks, good service, camped in their lot.
Well after tech blew 4" of mud dobber nest out of heat exhaust tube the heater now works. I'll be adding the bug screens.
But after they finished up, and I paid the bill. I discovered the thermostat wouldn't "see" the furnace. Tech came back in, pulled some fuses at bed base, did some checking, finally removed the center air conditioner panel in the ceiling. Bad connection in thermostat wires, very dusty in there. I'll need to clean. All fixed.
Down the road and a few days later, I found my gray & black tank monitors reading Empty, should have been full and the fresh water at half. Eventually had to re calibrate the tank monitor, per Javelina manual. I think in pulling fuses we had cut power to the monitor.
One d*** thing after another.
Ahhh the joy of adventure.
Cheers Ric  8)
Previously:'66 VW Bus"Turtle 1";'65 VW Riviera Camper "Turtle 2";
';'91 VW Syncro Camper"Syn";'92 Barth 30' -"The Big Easy"
Currently: 2000 FT U270 40', #5634 -
"Le Bons Temps"; 2003 CRV
Ric & Leslie
"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

Re: If you fix something, you break something else.

Reply #1
If you are not fixing something, you can't be having a good time! It appears you are having a ball!  Ken Hathaway maintains that a rip roaring bike ride in the desert involves some degree of bloody knees or similar scrapes and scratches. See what I mean?

Enjoy.
Carol & Jeff Savournin
Usta have a '93 U225 36', Usta have a '95 U320 40', Usta have a '02 U320 40'
Usta have a 2006 Born Free, Usta have a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser
Usta have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4dr
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."  Steve Jobs

Reply #2
It's a RV, so you have a problem, you just don't know what it is yet.

I like what Cat Fish Bob says "You have to have a sense of humor to own a RV".

For me working on them, all I see is dollar signs, gives me more beer and race car money

Cheers
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #3
Pulled the dash to replace GPS antenna that was bad.  Tried to trace the wire to see where the antenna was located.  Gave up and mounted the new one on flat area under dash cover.  Now GPS navigation is working on coach.

Went on a trip this weekend.  When you turn blinker on the screen is to go to the camera on that side.  Well when I was in the dash I must have pulled the wires for the camera apart since they are now not work.

This afternoon hit the switch for the generator to slide out.  Nothing happened. Have not started looking to see what I did to mess that up yet.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #4
If you are not fixing something, you can't be having a good time! It appears you are having a ball!  Ken Hathaway maintains that a rip roaring bike ride in the desert involves some degree of bloody knees or similar scrapes and scratches. See what I mean?
The original quote was "The ride's not done till somebody's bleeding."

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #5
If I can take it apart, I can fix it, or break it. 50/50 chance either way.
 :giggle: Ric
Previously:'66 VW Bus"Turtle 1";'65 VW Riviera Camper "Turtle 2";
';'91 VW Syncro Camper"Syn";'92 Barth 30' -"The Big Easy"
Currently: 2000 FT U270 40', #5634 -
"Le Bons Temps"; 2003 CRV
Ric & Leslie
"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

Reply #6
I usually keep working on something until it's really broken. 😬😎
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #7

If ain't broken, I can fix that also !!
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #8
If I can take it apart, I can fix it, or break it. 50/50 chance either way.
 :giggle: Ric

The way I look at, is it is broken all ready and I might learn something.

Back in my way younger days I had a muncy 4 speed transmission I broke.  I took it apart to see what was broken so I could fix it. Never had torn one down before in my life.  When I pulled a shaft out and 90 some roller bearings came flying out at me I felt that I had really broken it.  Did not have u tube, forums or the internet to see if I could find out how to put back together.  I went and bought the parts that were broken and went and put back together.  I must had done a good job since all of my friends wanted me to rebuild their transmissions when they broke them.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #9
These days, I surely make things worse, than better, it seems?  I don't give up hope, but I sure ain't half the man I used to be, I am DOUBLE that now...in size, anyway!  ;)  After spending $2,500.00 in repairs so far, on this trip alone,  and it would have cost me less than half that by doing it myself!  I try and still believe their are folks who are the "Experts" at what they do!  I am finding out though, they are few and far between.  I have experienced "Band Aid" fixes that were way worse than what I could have done, anyway!  I will try and screw them up worse, as much as possible, I think...it's ALL an adventure, right? 8)
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #10
Sometimes its best to try and fix it yourself.. some fixes I paid for looked like something a beginner would have done.. Got a refund..

Reply #11
Ultimate self fix....Rebuilding you own engine
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #13

If ain't broken, I can fix that also !!

If it don't fit don't force it.  Get your bump out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvJhqHjYW6Y&list=RDBvJhqHjYW6Y&start_radio=1
The selected media item is not currently available.
Jerry and Cindy Maddux
1993 U300/36WTBI DD6v92TA
build 4271  "Miss Lou"
1995 suzuki sidekick 4x4 toad
Gulfport, Ms

"Pride of Ownership"