Skip to main content

Topic: Frameless Flexible Solar Panels (Read 744 times) previous topic - next topic

Frameless Flexible Solar Panels
Has anyone used Frameless Flexible Solar Panels and attached them directly to the surface of the coach roof?

Re: Frameless Flexible Solar Panels
Reply #1
Has anyone used Frameless Flexible Solar Panels and attached them directly to the surface of the coach roof?

There are several YouTube channels that show this system, but the results are not the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Maybe they have improved, but the twelve 100 watt Renolgy flexible panels I bought about 6 or 7 years ago,  lasted a year before they started to cloud up and discolor and production started to drop. Easy to install with VHB tape though. When I...

Reply #3
View the one year review below. They seem to be a plastic surface that scratches and that with the cupping could be a problem. Ours are about 10 years old and with the glass surface, have no marks/scratches. We don't tilt ours so that's not a...

Reply #4
Something to think about is heat.  Solar panels get hot when the sun is shining on them.  Electrical output decreases with increased temperature.  Panels in a frame are usually mounted so that air can pass underneath and cool them a bit.  Also...

Reply #5
Good points Jerry. That's why I included a 1 1/2" gap between the roof and the bottom of the panels. The top glass surface is probably another inch and and half above that. I also wanted to use flex electrical conduit to run the solar panel wires...

Reply #6
I am not sure you are going to notice any increase in aerodynamic drag due to adding solar panels on your roof.  We have two panels side by side at the front and we hear a bit more wind noise.  There is nothing aerodynamic about these coaches.

Reply #7
I have to agree with Roger. Nothing aerodynamic about my 320. I guess it would need to look more like a Lear Jet for that, but the DW says no. :o

Larry

Reply #8
Image below of what a Unicoach looks like traveling down the road...note similarity to a brick.

Unihomes, on the other hand, slip silently through the air without making the slightest ripple.  8)

Reply #9
Ya, what Chuck said..  💨🚈

Reply #10
I have installed 3 160 watt Renogy flexible panels on my coach using eterna bond tape.  I had two of them on a previous travel trailer because I didn't want to put holes in the roof, and I wanted something low profile.  When I bought my FT coach...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Are you interested in frameless semi-flexible panels? I put six 320 watt panels on my U270 from eBay. They were:

- raised 4 inches above roof
- optical glass
- high-quality
- conform to U270 roof
- cheap: $.70/watt

That said, I HIGHLY recommend...

• Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:39:20 am by Tim

Reply #12
Chuck's UniHome is just about as much of an aerodynamic brick as the UniCoach.  Really.  But you can believe what you want.
  • Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:55:20 am by Roger & Susan in Home2

Reply #13
Flex panel warranties are usually only 5-10 years as opposed to a rigid panel which has a 25 year warranty. There's a good reason for that, they won't last!

Reply #14
Not only that but check out the #^%$ wiring in the video. Looks like a 10 year old glued down the panels and had no thought about organizing the wiring.

Pierce

Reply #15
Ya pretty sloppy.  And then the guy is standing on the panels after worrying about scratching them wiping the dirt off .But then many people who really have no expertise will post anything on YouTube just to get followers and make some money. ...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Yes, four inches of air gap is needed under any solar panel to provide cooling. I made and installed 15 aluminum brackets per 320 watt frameless semi-flexible panel and used 3M VHB tape to fasten the brackets. So far, so good.

My solar system ...

• Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:38:30 am by Tim

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
I only have about 1 1/2 inch in the middle of the panel and maybe 2 inches clearance from the roof on the outside of my panels. [320 watt]. Shot the ceiling inside with ir gun, with good sun, and found the areas underneath the panels actually...

Reply #18
4 inches seems really excessive to me. My ceiling never gets even slightly warm at 1 1/2".  I've got 3 brackets down each side the commercial panels screwed into the roof. I'm ten years down the road and no movement with the output staying the...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
In a worst-case scenario, you could fry an egg on those panels in AZ in the summer. It's the panels that get hot, not the rig's ceiling. Heat is causes the electrical output to decline. During 120 degree days in the Arizona summer, your panels...

Reply #20
Tim,

"Cheap Chinese" panels are at the top of the pack. My best friend just retired from the solar development industry and was constantly visiting panel manufacturers in Germany, Canada, China and here. He recommended Yingli panels as being not...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
I have 10 year old  "cheap panels" on my house, even they came with bypass diodes, which prevents hot spots by diverting around affected cells. You may lose some production by shading but don't believe any damage would occur. I buy my panels off...

Reply #22
Does Yingli even still exist?  Not much value to a warranty if the company disappears.

Reply #23
Does Yingli even still exist?  Not much value to a warranty if the company disappears.
Do I detect a bias against Chinese products?  :D Yes, Yingli is still one of the largest solar panel...

Reply #24
Yingli is still around and is a large producer.  They are in some financial problems now because of expansion, market forcesand management decisions.  Not uncommon.  Warranties are probably best in the first year or so. Once past that a good...