Skip to main content

Topic: 94 U280 Pac Brake Switch (Read 592 times) previous topic - next topic

94 U280 Pac Brake Switch
Just getting into readying my coach for a nice trip in the spring and last year I had a problem just before I put it away for the winter. When I bought the coach back in 2013 the previous owner had his transmission removed to replace the rear...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: 94 U280 Pac Brake Switch
Reply #1
The PAC brake on my rig is powered from a step on switch that is located on the floor to the right of the steering column.  I have a couple of extra switches on my dash also, so I;m not sure that any of those were ever intended for a PAC brake.  ...

Reply #2
Thanks Fritz!

It is good to know that I may have an extra rocker already in place. I'll see what James Triana has to say when he gives me a call back on that. I know that the coaches configuration may change quite a bit depending on model and...

Reply #3
Maybe Mike Leary has a wiring diagram for a pac brake. My exhaust brake has a master switch to turn to automatic mode, let off completely on the accelerator pedal and the exhaust brake engages. Can still coast down hills be just resting my foot...

Reply #4
John,

Do you have some paperwork that indicates your exhaust brake was installed at the factory?  I don't see any mention of it in the beamalarm spec sheet for your coach.  I am wondering if it was added after the coach left the factory, by one of...

Reply #5
Mine is quite similar to Chuck's, let totaly off the gas and engages and can also be switched to show brake lights while engaged. Will attempt to post a photo tomorrow. Red indicater lights for both functions. Best bet would probably be Mike...

Reply #6
Now this gives me more to ask James Triana when we talk. To bad they did not do what most car makers do including build sheets all through out the interior of the car. I looked at all the documentation and it does not show anywhere either being...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I have the pac-brake on mine. It is wired into a spare rocker switch in the dash to the left of the 2 dock light switches. Foretravel never installed a pac-brake on any motorhome that I know of. As far as I'm concerned, and this is my second...

Reply #8
I'll check my files today for a any wiring schematics.  Here's mine, with the custom console (done by Brett, natch!). The PacBrake on/off is at the bottom of the shifter. BTW, I LOVE OURS!  ^.^d  ^.^d  ^.^d  I show our's was installed in 04,"PRXB New...

Reply #9
I found the files! There a quite a few pages, so I can make copies for anyone. The print is so small, that would be a challenge to read on a computer screen. Any one can send me a PM with their address, and I'll have our local printers do it and...

Reply #10
I notice the files for the '94 280 mentioned  having a Cummins engine, but the same 3060 Allison MD World 6-speed as ours. I'd think a call to PacBrake would be in order, just to make sure my files will be of help.  ^.^d

Reply #11
First off, this morning I received a much awaited phone call from James Triana. He mentioned that my coach came without the Pac Brake and that it must have been done by a previous owner, which would have been the original owner. As far as the...

Reply #12
I don't want to get into a debate on the value of a exhaust brake, BUT, Twig's opinion (that the Pacbrake is worthless) does not match my opinion (of our exhaust brake).  I know they are two different brands, but they seem to operate in a similar...

Reply #13
You can get wiring diagrams for installing a PacBrake from them. 

Generally, it is wired through the Allison ECM so it achieves a downshift as well as exhaust brake application.

Reply #14
  In many cases I never have to touch the service brakes.  A properly maintained exhaust brake, that is functioning correctly and operated properly, will take a big load off your disk...

Reply #15
Thanks Brett for your input as I have never seen any documentation or wiring for the Pac Brake but it is very important to know. I had no idea that it went through the ECM so that is good to know so I can narrow my wire tracing as well. That is...

Reply #16
These are the best I could get since they are not originals, but FAX. Hope they can help.

Reply #17
This is more than what I expected, thanks Mike! Now, this gave me another possible avenue to look into as I had my ECM redone about the same time but I had not done any mountain travel for quite a while afterwards and since not really going fast...

Reply #18
I checked the location of Pac Brake Corporate Headquarters is only 20 minutes from my home so that is very convenient and if I have problems then I can always take it to them if they are can do further diagnosis. That is lucky for sure to be so...

Reply #19
I checked the location of Pac Brake Corporate Headquarters is only 20 minutes from my home so that is very convenient and if I have problems then I can always take it to them if they are can do...

Reply #20
My exhaust brake (haven't looked at the brand) is commanded by the switch marked retartder but only lights up and activates when switch is on and brakes are applied.

• Balcanthez
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #21
I have to add on to this. My PacBrake is a foot pedal to the left of the steering column., no additional switches on the dash. I have found it great for 6% & 7% grades when shifted down to 4th (feels the best for speed and control). It will slow...

Reply #22
I visited Pac Brakes Head Office in Surrey, BC yesterday looking for info on my Pac Brake for 8.3 Cummins/MD3060 Allison. As it turned out the gave the info freely to me printing it out there on the spot which was quite nice of them. When I got...

Reply #23
That's great to be able to bond with the factory, John!  Our's was installed in '04 and called the "PRXB' New Generation". Serial # 082658. It was last lubed in 2015, so I should check when it needs service. I sure like it,  but as we've talked...

Reply #24
I hope that this info may be able to help others and find it's way into the permanent files where everyone may make use of them in the future. Now, I just have to find out how to get it loaded...