Skip to main content

Topic: non stop, “clicking noise” in electric bay of 04 U320 (Read 500 times) previous topic - next topic

• cdm
  • [*][*]
non stop, “clicking noise” in electric bay of 04 U320
In the electric bay of my 2004 U320, a noticeable, non stop, "clicking noise" has developed. I traced it to the panel shown in attached pictures. It seems to be one of the black devices connected to the white wires as shown in the close up...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: non stop, “clicking noise” in electric bay of 04 U320
Reply #1
Those look like they might be a group of Bosch type relays.  If you have the wiring schematic for your coach, you should be able to identify them by their location, and get some idea what they control.  If they are relays, and one of them is...

• cdm
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
I have not noticed anything on the coach turning off or on on its own. I have spent a lot of time looking. I will look for the wiring diagrams and see where that leads me. Could I do a lot of harm disconnecting the relay? I believe I know which...

Reply #3
I don't believe you will do any harm disconnecting it.  If anything you may find out what it's connected to.
John M.

Reply #4
1. Could I do a lot of harm disconnecting the relay?
2. Could the relay itself be failing?

1. Not likely if it is the relay but you will discover that something has quit working.  This could control...

Reply #5
That is a circuit breaker that auto resets.  For some reason it is thinking there is an overload on the wire.   You need to get this figured out. If the breaker hangs up and stays on it will overload the wire and cause it to become very hot...

• cdm
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
I have determined this relay controls the water fill valve. When I disconnect the relay, the valve is closed and will not allow water fill of tank. When relay connected, and switch turned on inside coach, valve will open allowing water into tank....

Reply #7
While you're at it, pick up a few extra relays to carry in your parts bin.  I'll bet you have quite a few of them scattered around your coach, and it is not uncommon for them to malfunction.

Reply #8
cdm, looking at the first picture of your panel,  I see that there are 4 relays not in use. Switch over to one of those to see if the clicking continues

Reply #9
Apparently some confusion here as to what's what.

The tall vertical stack of 17 thingies in the left side of the first photo are not relays - they are self resetting circuit breakers.

The group of 3 or 4 black cube shaped thingies in the bottom...

Reply #10
One reason I bought an older Foretravel just for this interaction!

Reply #11
Hey, good news!!!   After this much time, you don't need to call in the bomb squad, or not !!!!   Have a great day  ----  Fritz

Reply #12
Put your finger on each relay and you should be able to feel which one is clicking.  When you figure out which one it ism look at the wire numbers and then you should be able to trace it in the wiring diagrams.

Reply #13
While you're at it, pick up a few extra relays to carry in your parts bin.  I'll bet you have quite a few of them scattered around your coach, and it is not uncommon for them to...

• cdm
  • [*][*]
Reply #14
I have determined the relay that is clicking is Bosch part number 0332209161  which is connected to wires 2247  C28  and 61951 which control the auto water fill valve. Only Auto Parts store around -O'reilly, did not have Bosch, or any relay that...

Reply #15
I have to say- reading the electric wiring diagrams is challenging.
Agreed, and the older you get, the more challenging it becomes.  Many (old) Forum members have found a partial solution - they...

Reply #16
Chuck,
I did just that
Plus; I mounted the enlarged diagrams on poster boards (36"/36") and hung them on the shop walls
Cost was less than $100, well worth it for aged persons (do not even have to wear glasses to read)

Reply #17
Any VW or German repair shop will have a couple. 

Reply #18
Will be interesting to see if the new one stops the clicking noise, or if the problem is elsewhere causing the relay to click.
I have checked the switches and they do not appear stuck.

If the new...