Skip to main content

Topic: Surge protector  (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Surge protector
A few months ago I installed an inline progressive surge protector in the area at the foot of the bed where the automatic switch boxes are. The unit I got has the read out box on a wire that can be mounted somewhere so it can be monitored.. if...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Surge protector
Reply #1
Doesn't it come with 20 feet of wire? I think I will mount mine out of the bedroom where I can see what's going on.

Reply #2
Keith, you installed an EMS under/over voltage protector which is much more than a surge protector.

The remote monitor is VERY helpful to learn volts and amps being used on each leg of your shore power and/or generator. Some coaches have other...

Reply #3
if you have one where did you mount the read out box and how is the wire routed to get there?
Thanks
Keith
  We followed BnC's lead and mounted our read-out near the existing ProSine and Power Watch...

Reply #4
I installed the Progressive Industries EMS behind the hose reel, after originally having under the bed. The 60 cycle hum was too distracting for Tys and I wasn't fond of it either. I took a length of PEX and threaded from the passenger side over...

Reply #5
As always, good work Don.
John

Reply #6
We installed the unit under the bed but ran 2 read outs.  One is located in the utility bay so I can check to ensure no errors when I first turn on shore power and the second where our inverter readout is opposite the kitchen.  I agree that...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I installed the Progressive Industries EMS behind the hose reel
That is one sweet install, Don. You are setting that bar pretty damn high!
jor

Reply #8
Thanks John,
I know the original poster has already installed their unit under the bed, but as this is a no doubt often searched topic, I just wanted to present an alternative location. If somebody else is bothered by the noise, locating the unit...

Reply #9
I'm glad I stumbled on this post because I'm not a fan of white noise, especially when camping. I'm working on replacing the old ATS because of it's terrible humming, and I had planned on installing the HW50C under the bed like Keith did, but I'm...

Reply #10
We have both (before and after transfer switch) EMS units under bed and don't hear any hum from either EMS or AT-100 transfer switch. 

Used SO #6 cable, but found the many copper strands would not stay under hold-down screws without being first...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
We have both (before and after transfer switch) EMS units under bed and don't hear any hum from either EMS or AT-100 transfer switch. 

That's my experience too. I've had three of these things and no noise from any of them.
jor

Reply #12
When we got this coach, it had a hum under the bed, and I thought we'd have to live with it. We later took a pedestal hit and fried the wiring all the way to  ( and including) the transfer box. When it was all replaced with fresh; no hum to this...

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
I do have a hum from 1 or both of my transfer switches, it was there before I installed the hw-50. I haven't noticed any hum from the hw-50 it's self,  I would like to get rid of the hum, maybe replacing the TS's will be next.....

I'm just trying...

Reply #14
We also found the hum intolerable but traced the source to the ATS, which we replaced and that solved that problem.  To answer the original question, we have the remove read out on the pedestal at the foot of the bed under the skirt.  I don't...

Reply #15
The most common incoming electrical issue is  not surges, but low voltages.  The "surge protector" also monitors and protects for over/under voltage, reverse polarity, open neutral and open ground (physical danger).  If anyone is considering...