Skip to main content
Topic: CAC Air Pipe Connector (Read 855 times) previous topic - next topic

CAC Air Pipe Connector

I was checking for potential leaks in my charged air cooler system and discovered that this connector is close to failing. It's the one that connects the CAC to the air pipe (then to engine intake). One of the  automotive A/C hoses has been rubbing on it. Has anyone replaced one of these? I was thinking I would just get a properly sized (3.5") section of silicone hose and call it a day. This one, however, is reinforced with a coiled spring. Thanks.

Re: CAC Air Pipe Connector

Reply #1
Pretty common hose you should be bake to get a suitable replacement from any heavy duty truck shop. Just dont say it's on a motorhome.
Toby a 94 u280
Cummins 8.3
6 speed Allison
Exhaust brake

Adopted by Derek and Annabelle

Reply #2
Pretty common hose you should be bake to get a suitable replacement from any heavy duty truck shop. Just dont say it's on a motorhome.
Bada Bing, a winner!!
Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #3
Try silicone hose.com.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #4
Those are made by Flexfab the one for the M-11 is 7728 but ours is 4" X 7  1/2"  Check there site for a 3  1/2"

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #5
Check the bottom mounting tabs on the CAC,they are aluminum and easily break,had to have mine rewelded.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #6
You can put  a length of duct tape around the holes to get you by till new ones found. Use a clamp to hold tape over holes, does not need to be tightened too much

Pressure is only up to 35lbs.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #7
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try and find the exact flexfab replacement. I'm at home so no emergent condition. FFR, the CAC end is 4" bu the end I need is actually the intake end which is 3.5". I'll check those tabs; thanks for the tip.
jort

Reply #8
I was checking for potential leaks in my charged air cooler system and discovered that this connector is close to failing. It's the one that connects the CAC to the air pipe (then to engine intake). One of the  automotive A/C hoses has been rubbing on it. Has anyone replaced one of these? I was thinking I would just get a properly sized (3.5") section of silicone hose and call it a day. This one, however, is reinforced with a coiled spring. Thanks.
Hard to find. I got one at Summit racing.com
Cheap,and fast delivery.
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #9
joodyo, while you have the hose off you may want to pressure up the CAC to check for holes.  I put 15 lb of pressure on mine and it reminded me of DW colander. Just my 2c worth
Atlas radiator has them for a small measly sum not wither mentioning but 8 week lead time!
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #10
Grace, do you happen to have the number for the Summit product? I was on their site yesterday and didn't see thiis size. thanks.

Reply #11
you may want to pressure up the CAC to check for holes
How would I do that? Chris. Some kind of fitting on the pipe? Thanks.

Reply #12
I'm sure Foretravel has them in stock.
Chappell & Mary
36' 2004 Foretravel U270 build #6273

Reply #13
John, when I had my CAC off years ago to repair holes in it I tested mine to 45 lbs over night and it was solid. I used 2 pieces of 3/4"plywood with a hole in centre of each one, I put a gauge at one end and air fitting on other then pumped air in till reading 45.The ply pieces were held in place with large c clamps, and forgot to say I put a piece of thin rubber gasket against faces of CAC.  It worked great.
Rudimentary set up but worked fine.
Any hole can be filled with Devcon aluminum ,but the hole  has to be cleaned well and to make sure NO putty goes into galleries, I flushed the CAC out with a hose for over an hour to remove as much Carbon  deposit as possible and hopefully flush out any crap inside.It has been I think 5 yrs since I did mine and boost is still 100%leak free. I get up to 32lbs pressure due to having the Banks Stinger,  the coach flies up hills and good mpg.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #14
Grace, do you happen to have the number for the Summit product? I was on their site yesterday and didn't see thiis size. thanks.
In Maui.Don't have info with. Just call them. High quality made in Australia.I also found one on ebay. Was $80.00 so I passed.
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #16
I bought some for Foretravel for mine and I didn't think they were that expensive, of course I am used to buying/selling aircraft parts. I bought enough to replace all of mine, but only replaced the one that was damaged to get home. The one on the turbo was hard and fractured.
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #17
Joodyo, I used the rubber 4" plumbing connectors attached to 4"pvc with cap glued on drilled and tapped cap to fit pipe thread
screwed in pipe with gauge and air fitting.  If you find holes you can also use J B Weld.  I bought some of the Davcon product but wound up using JB weld.  I just found too many holed and the bottom vane was deteriorated  on one end beyond repair so I bit the bullet and bought a new one.
If I was doing it again I would see if Atlas would sell me the core and I would cut the ends off the old one and weld (have welded) to the new core or see if Atlas would use my old ends for a little less money.  They told me they molded the ends and welded them on to the new core.  Just a thought!
Hope yours is good
On another note- I purchased 2-4" CAC hosed with clamps from Hosewarehouse.com they were 68 and change for the 2 hoses and 4 spring clamps including shipping --local parts store was 60 and change each without clamps
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #18
www.intakehoses.com
David Bethard
2003 U320 - 40ft. Build #6159
ISM 500hp
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
2021 Honda Goldwing DCT

Reply #19
What size connectors do your coaches use,?
If they are 4" Any Freightliner dealer will stock them as Detroit diesel uses that size.
91 GV U300 Unihome 40' Build 3811
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #20
I ended up getting the hose from the place David recommended - Intake Hoses. It was about $35 versus $80 and up elsewhere. It turns out this size (3.5") is not common. All the hose from the turbo and through the CAC is 4" but the air pipe is reduced to 3.5" to match the intake manifold. The stock piece was 7.5" long but I could not find that size so I got an 8" which is fine. Good to go.
jor (using joodyo's account by mistake)