Skip to main content
Topic: Tambour doors (Read 1034 times) previous topic - next topic

Tambour doors

After a thread mentioned the tambour doors, being an engineer I must applaud foretravel or others!  What an ingenuous solution for a motorcoach. They are simple, lightweight, and not subject to hinge spring stresses encountered trying to keep the contents of cabinets inside the cabinet. No hinge or spring associated stresses on screws that would require thicker and heavier wood. KISS perfected to say the least. As caflashbob pointed out a majority of cabinets would remain closed during an extreme stopping incident in my coach. Bonus is they look and operate imaculatlately with a one finger push in a coach that twists somewhat going down the road after 30 years. Double bonus is they still look awesome, and visitors are still awestruck by the cabinetry. Reframe from putting heavy stuff in the upper cabinets and your coach won't sway as much over bad roads. Just loving a 30 year old work of art.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Re: Tambour doors

Reply #1
Really like ours, and it was one of the tipping points for me choosing the '96 over another coach.  '96 was the last year of the tambour doors.  Although our coach does have a few of the hinged type, which are also nice so long as the struts are still good.
1996 U295 36' WTBI

Reply #2
Not sure over the very long term how the tambours door sliders will be replaceable as they harden from age. 

They resist rolling up as the backing hardens.  I understand Foretravel no longer has them in their parts.

Maybe some here can figure out a source and method of replacement?

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #3
Can't you do a little wood working and shave them to keep in tip top shape?

Reply #5
The individual strips of wood are glued to a fabric. Either the adhesive lets go or the fabric gets stiff or brittle and the material starts cracking due to the constant flexing that creates fatigue.
Our 1989 has all but one strip of wood still adhered very well to the fabric. If/when the adhesive fails I intend to use a flexible adhesive that will adhere to both the wood and the fabric. What else but SHOE GOO!!!
I think the fabric getting stiff/brittle is probably caused by high temperatures. Also the adhesive letting go over time.
The wood finish that is exposed to our view still has an excellent finish.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #6
What I know about tambour doors (both our Airstreams had them, too) is one opens and closes them with ultimate care, very slowly. If one binds, don't 'cowboy' it, just move it back and forth gently, maybe spray some silicone on the tracks. Our normal stuff does move around up there and can move to where it blocks the door from opening completely.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #7
Foretravel tambour cabinet  doors were made by a craftsman somewhere over in Florida, I seem to recall. When he died or was disabled, I forget which, Foretravel discontinued this feature.
No RV! Have hung up the keys.
In the past: 2016 Winnebago Era, 1994 Foretravel U240, 1995 Foretravel U240 (wide body), 1999 Foretravel 320, 36 Foot, 2003 Foretravel U320 38 foot,

Reply #8
I have seen 100 year old roll top desks, with the slats horizontal and sagging somewhat that still work.  I guess I wont worry much about my vertical slats.  Whoever made them was a great craftsman, I am guessing there are 600 feet of perfectly joined edges in my coach.  ;D
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #9
The Foretravels were backed in rubber
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #10
Was in my 36 foot COLD coach tonight and I counted slats on several tambour doors, and multiplied the rest. Over 1200 feet of precision parallel joinery between the 600 slats, that you cannot hardly insert a feeler gauge into any gap on the tambour doors. That is amazing craftsmanship!
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #11
That's just par for a Foretravel coach.  And a fix for a Tambor door issue is just par for the ForFum crowd.    Right guys......
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #12
Sheepishly, I gotta say the FT tambour doors are memorable. Our coach has so many gorgeous woodworking features that really work well together...and these doors are the best. The "baby" doors over the microwave area on our girl measure only 4" or so. Smooth and dramatic. Very polished design, IMHO.
Paul & Kathleen
1995 U320c SE 40'
Build 4681 --Cummins M11 /17511
"That Irish Girl"
Red MINI " 40"

Reply #13
That's just par for a Foretravel coach.  And a fix for a Tambor door issue is just par for the ForFum crowd.    Right guys......
30 years old and so far no fix needed, or issues. Could go another 30 years or more. No struts, or highly stressed cabinet hinges that may pull out of the wood. Simplicity squared, KISS. No sense trying to improve it's design.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #14
Some of the earliest 70's coaches with the tambours used in the desert  heavily had the backing get hard and resist rolling up.

Had to replace a few 30+ years ago,

Do not see a lot of Orange and brown FTX's here.  Sold a lot of them.  Now that I look back it was more because of  the club than than the  beauty..

I doubt that the GVF's and the unicoaches will suffer the same fate, 

We are doing a kitchen remodel at home and find I have an extra trash  compactor that I am considering mounting into our coach as it has a correct size cabinet i think across from the refer.

Bought a new kitchen aid one for our remodel and so the old one can be recycled into the coach.

Only thing that I thought was wrong when the original owners ordered the coach was to not fit a compactor IMO.

Will, see if giving up  the drawer in that area is worth  it as it is our junk drawer full of needed goodies. 

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #15
Trash compactor came with our 97. .....never have used it.
The selected media item is not currently available.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup
Motorcader  17257

Reply #16
Was it in the cabinet under the hutch?  Ours appears to be that size.  We dry camped mostly long ago and the compactor was a  space efficiency  need.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #17
Yes. Our compactor is in the cabinet under the hutch.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
Motorcader  17257

Reply #18
Every coach needs a garbage can and that is what we use the compactor for.  It works well, but it is not worth messing with for what little garbage we generate.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #19
Don't have room for one, don't know that we would use it. I thought that's what used Walmart bags were for.

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #20
Okay....time to 'fess up. WalMart bag in the trash compactor is our trash can 🙄
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
Motorcader  17257

Reply #21
My 30 year old compactor still working, did not have a key when I got the coach, but was able to buy one at local appliance parts store ^.^d
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #22
Remember a Foretravel was made to be a self contained dry camp coach.  Rving was an adventure 35 years ago.  I had customers remote live for long term in non campground conditions. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430