Skip to main content
Topic: Last year with no slides (Read 1271 times) previous topic - next topic

Last year with no slides

Since I had to go to Barry Beam's site to get the link, I decided to spend a few minutes answering a question: What is the newest production Foretravel with no slides. The answer is 2003. All of the GV320 coaches have one or two slides, which is disappointing for us, as we really live the GV style.

The next time I've got some extra time to look, I'll see what the newest no-slide mid-entry is. I suspect that I'm driving it.

Re: Last year with no slides

Reply #1
The next time I've got some extra time to look, I'll see what the newest no-slide mid-entry is. I suspect that I'm driving it.

David,

Should be a '95,  there may be 1 or 2 late '95/'96 that were caught on the production line during the swap over to the Unicoach only production run.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #2
I understand you meant gv mid entry but our 97 unicoach wtbi mid entry u320 is nice also
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #3
Used to think I wanted slides... now I know I do Not want slides... I just want to slide around the country in the bus.
Glenn & Lyla
1995 U300 40'
Motorcade 18287

Reply #4
I understand you meant gv mid entry but our 97 unicoach wtbi mid entry u320 is nice also

Bob, I have never seen that model before.  Could you supply some exterior and interior photos of your rig for those of us who are curious?
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #5
The oriiginal purchasers the "Robinson's" I understand had had three Foretravels before they ordered this coach.

The std walk through bath floor plan shown in the literature is basically correct.

But like all "built especially for you" coaches differences were possible.

Mid door to start with,  shirt closet next the refer on drivers side.

Narrow 6" wide shelf pantry between the China hutch and the bath.  Floor to ceiling.

12"  vinyl tire in bath.  Looks like ceramic.  Not cold.  Quiet.

Right hand rearyview camera in a gel coated fiberglass rear facing compartment with a glass window in it.

Flexsteel overstuffed recliner.  Wood side valences on the living room day/nights.

No Joey beds.  More space. 

One of the earliest 450hp red top m11 engines. 

Floor plan works well.  In a 36' a front entry would allow better space in the dinette and recliner area. Versus a 26" entry door and frame in a 40'.

Flat floor.  Aqua hot.  Rear air in bath.  Ducted air.  Wall paper. Beautiful cabinet walnut doors.

Closely matched wood.  No light pieces used except for small areas on the underside of the bedroom top rear cabinet.

Open Bath.

Three house batteries in 97.

Table with extension and two leather swivel chairs.

Beautifully made old yacht quality coach.  Like most Foretravel products.

As compared to all the earlier 70's and 80's coaches I sold and used this is THE coach that addressed almost all the issues present in the older coaches.

If C.M. was around I would shake his hand for the coaches overall design.  At least for us.

A few mid-doors were made each year.  You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

We were.  Old Foretravel buddy called me to ask if we were interested.  No.  Well where is it?

Laughed out loud to find a 320 unicoach with a mid door.

Only coach I would have been interested in. 

Thanks to the Barks for trading it in.

Bob and Susan 

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #6

A few mid-doors were made each year.  You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Bob and Susan 

Thanks for sharing that information Bob!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #7
Thanks for the pictures!

According to the build numbers, you beat us by 20 coaches.  Except for the door, I could be looking at my coach. 

When the PO told me it was a 450, I thought he had it wrong.  He thought the Boost switch was for the turbo and only needed it a few times.  Plausible, just wrong, so his credibility was shaky.  I confirmed 450 on the Cummins nameplate.  I was surprised.  The Boost switch story makes me wonder how many things I "know" about an RV that are completely wrong.  I've only seen the Boost switch labeled "Aux Start" before, so he had my wondering why (and how) you would ever, ever turn off the turbo on a diesel.

We're not anti-slide by any means -- we would have preferred a slide.  However, the market discount against slides, the simplicity, less weight, lower maintenance, and easy passage from front to back at all times were too compelling to say no to.  Our last motorhome had no slides.  We're looking forward to testing our decision with our first really long trip.  Strike that, our first really long trip, I'm looking forward to not towing an 18,000# trailer.  On the second really long trip, I'll spare a thought for the missing slide(s).
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Reply #8
Just a comment as to the original owners specs.  No mirror across from the toilet on the cabinet door,  no slider  mirrored double door setup like some similar floor plans.

I remember carol here mentioned that some had the mirror opposite the toilet. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #9
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering what the latest production number might be? Jim2002 U320 42'
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #10
I have a 2003 U295 with NO slides  1F98D536X3N054615  Special order.

Looking to sell to buy Bob's GV :) :)

Jim McKamey    219-742-7456

Reply #11
I have a 2003 U295 with NO slides  1F98D536X3N054615  Special order.

Looking to sell to buy Bob's GV :) :)

Jim McKamey    219-742-7456
JIm....
Photos please

Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #12
Dave Cobb has a mid-entry 1998
Mike
2001 U320 4010 Build 5878 (Gus)
Wrangle Unlimited Toad
Nacogdoches

Reply #13
There is a nimbus with no slide I believe.  It was a command coach that got repurposed.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #14
The oriiginal purchasers the "Robinson's" I understand had had three Foretravels before they ordered this coach.

The std walk through bath floor plan shown in the literature is basically correct.

But like all "built especially for you" coaches differences were possible.

Mid door to start with,  shirt closet next the refer on drivers side.

Narrow 6" wide shelf pantry between the China hutch and the bath.  Floor to ceiling.

12"  vinyl tire in bath.  Looks like ceramic.  Not cold.  Quiet.

Right hand rearyview camera in a gel coated fiberglass rear facing compartment with a glass window in it.

Flexsteel overstuffed recliner.  Wood side valences on the living room day/nights.

No Joey beds.  More space. 

Floor plan works well.  In a 36' a front entry would allow better space in the dinette and recliner area. Versus a 26" entry door and frame in a 40'.

Flat floor.  Aqua hot.  Rear air in bath.  Ducted air.  Wall paper. Beautiful cabinet walnut doors.

Closely matched wood.  No light pieces used except for small areas on the underside of the bedroom top rear cabinet.

Open Bath.

Three house batteries in 97.

Table with extension and two leather swivel chairs.

Beautifully made old yacht quality coach.  Like most Foretravel products.

As compared to all the earlier 70's and 80's coaches I sold and used this is THE coach that addressed almost all the issues present in the older coaches.

If C.M. was around I would shake his hand for the coaches overall design.  At least for us.

We were.  Old Foretravel buddy called me to ask if we were interested.  No.  Well where is it?

Laughed out loud to find a 320 unicoach with a mid door.

Thanks to the Barks for trading it in.

Bob and Susan

It's OK to take the clear plastic up now off the carpet Bob....LOL
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #15
Coach was well used like it was designed to be used.  My normal project.  Payback for selling hundreds of rv's.  I was just the guy to end up with this,  Cosmic.  You have to have been from where I started at Foretravel in 1984 and went rving constantly on our time off.  Hundreds of desert nights. Old ftx coaches.  Dark counters. Roman shades.  12 volt tv's. 

To a 97 U320 mid door.  The opposite end from where I started.  I could not have written this story. 

Back in the Foretravel family.  We are family.  Thank all of you for keeping the feeling from 34 years ago going.

It was never the coach.  It always was the real people. 

Everything changes.  Everything stays the same,  thank god.

We laughed out loud when we walked into the barks trade in.  Our 97.

Meant to be is an understatement.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430